Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carts and such  (Read 749 times)

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Carts and such
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:06:33 pm »

Carts and Wagons should be implemented. Although the 'wagon' exist, if nothing else, it should be able to serve it purpose as a movable container. A cart or wagon's main use would probably be to send out a dwarf to collect logs or rocks and toss them into there wagon. It would make it so they don't have to take painful trips back and fourth between stock piles. A wagon could hold quite a lot of logs/rocks, and than could be dragged back to a dumping location or stock pile.

Other things:

New stockpile- Wagon Drop Point

The wagon drop point would be made so that only wagons could drop off items in the location. They could be modified to accept anything that a wagon could hold and dump, rock, logs, trash, corpses, bones, ect. On the cart you could [q] it to collect *resource* and it would set out to pick the stuff up and return it to a wagon drop point. This would assure that you don't have a whole bunch of your dwarfs going about collecting things and instead have the one constantly going around, picking things up in the cart, and bringing it back. You could have multiple carts running at a time, and it would save you a lot of free dwarfs.

How to make:

It would be built in the 'b' menu. It would require resources from multiple places, much like a well. Wheels could be made in a masons workshop or a carpenters workshop. The carts body would be made up of 'cart sides' made in a masons work shop or carpenter's work shop. It would need three. Two mechanisms to function the opening of the cart for dumping, and two cork screws to hold it together.

Once built anyone with the hauling activated can be assigned to the wagon, and than told to pick up resources.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Carts and such
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 05:59:30 am »

This is a common suggestion, and is even at the top of the Eternal Suggestion Voting board.

Next time before making a thread, it would be appreciated if you check to make sure your ideas are not already being discussed elsewhere  ;)

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 04:19:13 pm »

I can think of at least 20 threads about this idea that I've read, and I'm a relative forum newbie. I know it's a pain in the read but please do familiarize yourself with the existing threads and ideas, with luck it helps keep the signal:noise ratio to a level where Toady can get something out of our discussions.  8"}

We've all done it though, so don't feel chastised.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 02:53:37 pm »

Um... I haven't... I always use search...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 04:05:28 pm »

Um... I haven't... I always use search...
...and now I tried to check your statement by using search but you can't search only based on author, it seems. A shame...
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 04:11:56 pm »

I thought about using carts for moving the corpses after a siege, and I remember the "bring out your dead" scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time