Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stockpiling a specific kind of stone blocks?  (Read 633 times)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Stockpiling a specific kind of stone blocks?
« on: July 31, 2009, 01:23:01 pm »

Since I have to buy my bauxite, I'd like to be able to put it somewhere in its own stockpile, right next to a mechanic's workshop. Caravans only sell me bauxite in block form, though, and I don't see a way to define a custom stockpile that only accepts a certain kind of stone.

Am I out of luck? Should I look into buying actual unblocked rocks from the caravan? Do they even sell those?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpiling a specific kind of stone blocks?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 01:44:26 pm »

Doesn't look like you can do it selectively either, it's all rock blocks or none.

As for buying raw rock, I'm pretty sure you can do that.

You CAN however make a stone stockpile for bauxite only, just allow only bauxite for the stockpile you want to use and forbid it in other stone stockpiles.

Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 03:18:33 pm »

another way would be to disable all your dumps, un-designate your stone stockpiles and make a new dump right next to your mason's workshop.  Then mark all your bauxite blocks as garbage, and when they've all moved into the spot next to your workshop, un-forbid them again.  I believe that masons will pick the stone closest to them, if not you could wall off your mason's workshop and forbid the door while your mason is in there, locked in with the bauxite, then let him get to work.  Just don't forget to open it back up tho :) 

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 03:24:36 pm »

Unfortunately, blocks are either "stone", or something else - no finer distinctions possible.

But if you can trade for blocks of bauxite, you should be able to trade for the raw stone - do that (slightly cheaper anyway, and lighter iirc, so the caravan can deliver more "stuff".)

Hound's suggestion is a valid work-around, but there are predictable drawbacks - other refuse causing miasma, interruption of other dumping, etc etc.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 05:19:45 pm »

Your mechanic can't do anything with a block of rock anyway. The only things rock blocks are good for are constructions, screw pumps, wells, and asheries (any workshop can be built of rock blocks, but only the ashery requires a block). According to the wiki you can turn rock blocks into raw stone by putting them in a magma-safe bin and pouring magma over the lot, but that might be more trouble than it's worth... especially since the one material for which it won't work is bauxite.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 05:23:51 pm »

I'm fairly certain the caravan sells raw stone if you ask for it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Xort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 08:31:40 pm »

You can request stone but only till your king shows up then it's random junk.