Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [MOD] DF Genesis 40d16 (2.01 ver)  (Read 22149 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
[MOD] DF Genesis 40d16 (2.01 ver)
« on: July 31, 2009, 12:20:37 pm »

Sorry for a long absence, there're some problems at work. Here it is, 2.01 of my DF Genesis project.

The main details and discussions were in this thread: Dwarf Fortress Complete

New version:
RAR archive, based on 40d16

Additions:
- a few tweaks to bodies (wings and necks may be broken in wrestling now).
- angry stone dwarves (enemy) which require a playtesting.
- some adventure mode tweaks (indication of enemies in fog of war etc.).
- at last finally hammer picks are "fixed" (no longer considered to be a digging implement).

Old version:
===================================================================
DF Genesis [with basic races only]
DF Genesis [with additional races]
+nippon, norse, ahrabim, nubians,lizardmen,outlaws

Installation: launch the setup file, it will guide you.

Feedback and further suggestions are welcome!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 08:41:25 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: [MOD] DF Genesis - install.exe version
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 12:34:41 pm »

I've reupload installation files, they had a small error. It's fixed now.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 12:38:20 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 06:44:48 am »

Ahem, any feedback? Does it mean that nobody plays it and I should stop development, or is it something else?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 06:56:40 am »

1) humans: europeoid type humans which resemble medieval westerners
2) nippons: chinese+japanese type tropical/warm climate humans with yellowish skin, different eyeshape and eastern weaponry (a subrace which tries to "combine" chinese and japanese race).
3) norse: a race without plate armor (but with studded leather armor to compensate it) and partially unique weaponry. They are more resistant to cold and live in tundra and taiga (and sometimes even on glacier edge).

To be honest, I find it kind of odd that you call the caucasoid ones "Humans" while you call the other ones by something more specific (as if they aren't normal humans or something). The "Nippons" (which isn't really an adjective or anything, actually) in particular honestly strike me as a sort of bizarre ethnic stereotype, especially considering the bright yellow skin in their creature graphics. I mean, I don't know if people would react as warmly to you making an "Afrika" race whose graphics gave them pitch-black skin and big red lips, but it's essentially the same thing, no?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 07:15:49 am »

Well, if there're different races, the western ones are called "teuthons" (I forgot to update the description), I decided to do so to avoid naming questions which you did :).

And nubians are black, what's wrong with it? :) You forget that there're still various civilizations in game and they mix together nicely, I saw towns with various races living in it.

About bright yellow: there're problems with tile size, they're small, so they have to look different. I've played a lot of console games with yellow characters, and it was ok. I don't think that it's relevant to bring skin color questions here, because the tiles do not exactly represent actual creatures in the game, they are just a general representation, and if you can make a better tileset, It'd be generous. I am not really perfect in drawing stuff, I like to code more.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 07:18:45 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Cody1750

• Bay Watcher
  • The Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 12:20:41 am »

For some reason, on the legends screen sometimes it will say unknown creature. Any clue what that means?
Dieing is easy, living is the hard part.
Cacame Awemedinade, Elven Dwarf King, the universes awesomest elf ever.  Follower of The Way of Axe, Blood and Coal
If your armor was 50% as good as two other civs and 30% as good as a third, do you really think you'd do well in war? That'd be like trying to engage a rocket-launcher mounted Humvee with a pistol riding a tricycle.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 12:22:04 am »

That happens in the unmodded game too. That's what happens when the creature referred to is one that the game culled out of the records for being too unimportant.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 01:33:23 am »

If you switch "cull unimportant historical figures" off then you don't have "unknown" creatures.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 05:32:22 pm »

(installs it and copies settings from own init.txt)
Let's see which foe is the most common for adventurers.... in DFCP the quest monsters file creatures were super common. Rolled up a steel spiked mace dorf with shield, armor, wrestling.

Tainted harpies seem common here, it may be due to the ALL_ACTIVE tag. Might be "this biome, this time of day, only T-Harpy is available" Might try diurnal+crepuscular instead.
Do cobras always come in threes?
19 silver-backed jackals in 55 kills.
10 Tainted Harpies in 65 kills.
some more Tainted Harpies. not a single wolf pack (which seemed to dominate the vanilla DF).
Really could use more evil and savage areas in the default worldgen settings.
Jungle imps and T-harpies in a swamp.
Desert = sand cobras and giant jaguars and giant desert scorpions. Hostile humanoid adventurers might be fun. Wonder if good, evil or savage deserts ever exist. I might increase the danger of the GDScorpion. Its main defense is how many limbs it has to soak up the hits.
Steppe = 3 kinds of giant felines, plus T-Harpies and few others.
Bah, an encounter where I start in a rampless mostly dry pool.
Hmm, Jungle cobras can vomit, didn't know that.
Whoa, Jungle cobras that hang out with Primal Cat Kittens. Splat they go.
Giant Leopard in the Swamp of Tails, huh. And my first Tiger there. Would like tiger ambushes in the forest. (Hmm tiger is nocturnal and thus rare)
A T-harpy's brain was broken but it still needed two more whacks.

Save my unbelievably agile macedorf, 152 kills. No wolves, bears, hyenas or normal harpies or evil humanoids were encountered. How could one add a goblin adventurer with level 4 skills and guaranteed equipment.
Hmm all the quest monsters file beasts are MUNDANE, wonder what effect that has. I am still having trouble with FREQUENCY 0,1,5,30,60 how they behave.

I guess an adventurer never ever can run into non-hostile creatures, not even if "enter" a forest and walk a gazillion miles inside it.

The map's swamps look a little like hills with the _n_ and _"_ chars. "V" means dune, hmm. "~" might be nice for dune.
I don't like the "O" character being so out of sync with other text.

Here's an adventurer tip: CLOSECOMBAT a foe who's severely hurting, you gets lots of wrestling experience. Shield to the throat x20.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

GreenMarine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 01:53:09 am »

Is there no pre-generated world for this version?
"Your brother made an artifact when he was ten! What have you done with your life?!"

GreenMarine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 02:02:32 am »

Pretty fun stuff. My first fortress was just wiped out early on (1st year) by a roving band of lizardmen. I was able to kill a few, but they overwhelmed me. I think I need to bring at least 2 fully skilled fighters in my initial embark.
"Your brother made an artifact when he was ten! What have you done with your life?!"

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 12:46:53 pm »

(Makes a world and reads its legends to see which semimega and mega do the most rampages -- ie. are quite unstoppable)

19th rampage of a single lich.
26th giant rampage
14th rampage of ettin
10th rampage of drake
18th rampage of giant "Eti"
15th rampage of a single giant.
14th rampage of a single giant "Otar".
8th rampage of a cyclops.

The megabeasts are too weak or too rare in the legends. Maybe I should make a DRAGON_YOUNG semimega.
(Edit: made it in my DFCP-mod. Year 63, 13th rampage of a young dragon. Year 66, 9th. Hmm I need to tone down my Vampires. A drake's 17th. A cyclops' 15th.) (Aw phooey, Vampires had
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Complaining about their vanilla and DF Genesis weaknesses:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 01:47:35 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image

Enatai

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_MODDING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 05:42:27 pm »

"...He never told you how... the nobles... sent seventy of us into exile on this... barren sand heap... with only the contents of these wagons to sustain us."
"You lie! On Ceti Fortress V, there was life! A fair chance!"
"This is Ceti Fortress V!  Ceti Fortress VI had to be abandoned six months after we were left here. The shock shifted the orbit of this fortress and everything was laid waste.  The nobles never bothered to check on our progress. It was only the fact of my genetically modified intellect that allowed us to survive..."

One internet if you get the reference.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 10:52:22 pm »

"...He never told you how... the nobles... sent seventy of us into exile on this... barren sand heap... with only the contents of these wagons to sustain us."
"You lie! On Ceti Fortress V, there was life! A fair chance!"
"This is Ceti Fortress V!  Ceti Fortress VI had to be abandoned six months after we were left here. The shock shifted the orbit of this fortress and everything was laid waste.  The nobles never bothered to check on our progress. It was only the fact of my genetically modified intellect that allowed us to survive..."

One internet if you get the reference.

KHHHHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!

Right? :)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 01:30:44 pm »

Yeehaw, those early lizardman sieges are fun!
I gotta change my goblins to have that same feature, that they DO NOT wait for 80 population for sieging. My dorfs have to use wooden bows and wooden bolts to fend them off. Pools-frozen-in-winter killed my initial weaponmaker.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5