Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Rawify/Rework quality vs Material  (Read 2521 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rawify/Rework quality vs Material
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 05:57:19 pm »

So somebody has been doing..... SKILL for 3-4-7 years....  Here's reached tier 1 legendary.  He has a 15% chance of making THE BEST POSSIBLE EXAMPLE of an item.  1 in 7 items he makes will be perfect.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2009, 05:34:28 am »

How much freakin' room for expertise is there in a bloody bed? If anything, Grand Masters are rather incompetent as is. You'd expect more masterful work from someone of that caliber

The speed of reaching such high prestige is an entirely different issue and a more likely culprit in devaluing the quality goods

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 09:26:25 am »

Even granting that actors get skills to fast; Even granting that skilled craftsmanship doesn't take long enough;  I still think that a 15% 'Best Possible' result is too high. 

You have your attitude because you expect to be able to kit your dwarves with the best possible of everything.  Personally, I think that you shouldn't be readily able to get the best possible everything for even 1 dwarf.

In my mind, I have excised the descriptors.  Quality comes in 5 flavors, 1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, and 2.0....  The best possible Bed:

(7000$ used)
is only twice as good as the the worst possible Bed:

(200$ new)

Just a brief search on the internet and I've got a price range of x35... That's a little bit bigger than x2. 

Using the price mod. = quality mod fact is a bit of a strawman, I'll admit.  Let's look at actual quality instead.  Certainly a good bed and 3k mattress is more than twice the quality of the 600 bucks worth of IKEA crap, but that's not readily transferable into numbers.  The best I can come up with is the myth of the swordsmith who would judge his blades by how many men they would cut through.  I can only imagine that his scale wasn't '1 guy, and some variable part of the next'

Edit: Formating and grammar

And because it's just too cool NOT to include, I have an Artifact bed:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:32:52 am by Granite26 »

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 02:16:09 pm »

I don't expect to be able to do so easily but yes, after a decade of grinding, I would expect my carpenters to not be incompetent just because you want to artificially inflate the rarity of snazzy beds

The price mod for masterful work is 12 by the way. I would personally lower it considerably but that's just because the game's economy is stupid and those 7000 dollar tacky beds are in infinite demand, making anything without quality mods worthless. Even solid gold

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 04:39:11 pm »

You don't have to fix the price mods to fix the room quality problem.

See my original post on a solution.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 04:40:45 pm by Draco18s »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2009, 04:51:16 pm »

We aren't really talking about room quality so much as using value as a standin for utility
Pages: 1 2 [3]