Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My 2 cents  (Read 691 times)

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My 2 cents
« on: July 31, 2009, 09:27:56 am »

Hi, im kind of new in DF, but im getting addicted already.

So i have two small sugestions:

1. I think it would be great to be able to control dwarfs in dwarf fortress mode like in adventurer mode. You would choose a dwarf, and it would switch the game to turn-based mode and you could move and fight by yourself.

2.Goblins, humans and elfs could build basic constructions like floor tiles ramps and stairways to conquer moats and pits and would be able to destroy walls and even natural stone to get to the fortress but all this tasks would be performed very slowly. This would raise the difficulty which would be a good thing i guess.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
Re: My 2 cents
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 11:47:40 am »

How exactly would you have an elf destroy a wall? Shoot arrows at it forever? Dink it with a sword for all eternity? Same with humans and goblins too. With building things to pass moats and such, where exactly would they get the materials to do so? Chopping down a tree without woodcutting skills? Finding stone one the top level? And then they would have to build those things while:
1) being fired at by crossbows
2) being fired at by ballista
3) being fired at by a dragon pillbox http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Trap_design Very last design
4) being hit by traps of all sorts
5) being burned by magma
6) and any other possible defense strategy out there.

It would not raise the difficulty because if they are able to do that in the first place, your defenses suck and you're doomed anyways, or it's just an impossibly large amount of enemies.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 11:58:52 am »

Welcome to the forum!

What you're actually looking for is the Suggestions Board, which Toady reads and occasionally comments on. Usually, though, he just notes down things that he agrees with stays silent.

Make sure when you go to that forum that you do a search for the topics that you're suggesting. Most topics have already been suggested in one form or another, and it's usually best to see if your specific idea has been talked about before bringing it up. Not to say you can't add to an existing discussion if you have more to add, but we don't want to waste Toady's time with hundreds of suggestions all saying the same exact thing. We'd rather he spent the time programming. ;)

Two address your two specific suggestions, however:

1) Toady has said that he specifically does not want the player to be able to do that in Fortress Mode, although you may be able to do something kind of like that in the Army arc for soldiers sent away from the fortress.

2) There are lots of threads on the suggestions board regarding sieges and how to make them more interesting. Do a search there and read through the threads, and feel free to add in any new thoughts you have after you've read them!

Oh, and don't be afraid to necro threads in the suggestions forum, it's considered better to have a few consolidated threads then a bunch of scattered ones.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 02:17:25 pm »

I once necro'd a thread a someone posted an excellent picture for it. This was in a different forum, let me see if I can find it.
Edit:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 02:20:12 pm by Beanchubbs »
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 04:36:47 pm »

nice.

...add pointless junk that has no use to anyone

This is the dealbreaker for necro'ing.  Make it relevant (not "revenant") to the thread, and it's all good.  ;)