Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Enough talk, get crackin'  (Read 11205 times)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Enough talk, get crackin'
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2009, 01:48:53 am »

Here's something I thought up for the iPhone:

(actual size)

Tileset is 6x10 at default grid size. Buttons are context sensitive, and would change the letter displayed depending on what menu you're viewing. Swiping up, down, left, right, or diagonally would function like the arrow keys/numpad. The program would have to keep track of where in the game you are menu-wise so it can display the correct buttons. I was thinking of replacing the ';' key with a "Kbd" key, which brings up the regular iPhone keyboard.

Edit: I didn't include the V key. What happens if you use the visualizer with the remote viewer/controller?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:52:29 am by Sizik »
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2009, 07:59:02 am »

This is looking fantastic.
As a programmer myself, I can appreciate the amount of work you must be shovelling into this.

lemonpieman

• Bay Watcher
  • Maario
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2009, 07:13:33 pm »

This is a splendid idea, I would love for this to be fully operational.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2009, 09:22:02 pm »

Alpha 5 still crashes on Win 7, worked fine until alpha 4.

Managed to catch what the console window says just as it crashes:
Code: [Select]
Searching for buffer base
With fps,menu
Without fps,menu
Found!

There is also a tiny pure black window that I assume is ordinarily the window where it draws the output.

I get this too. I'm on Vista.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2009, 10:48:21 pm »

PPS:I am thinking about releasing sourcecode if anyone would be interested. So what would be the best way?
Well, I know there are a lot of people interested in it, but I'm not certain how many are capable of working on it. Unfortunately for this side project, I think we ask too much of Baughn already. Sourceforge is an option but a little overkill I think for hosting. Just zip up the project directory with all the uncompiled components and stick it on any file share website and post a link. Someone's bound to pick this up if you don't continue. Brilliant job so far. This is lightyears beyond what I was expecting already.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2009, 03:00:32 am »

I get this too. I'm on Vista.

Is it like you run it and it crashes with send error report, or just a black window?
Edit: Tried to fix it, please test it -> http://www.box.net/shared/4pgfrz0ccp
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 03:08:11 am by darius »

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2009, 03:38:45 am »

Edit: Tried to fix it, please test it

Didn't work before, works now!

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2009, 05:36:21 am »

Strange... My research showed that window W&H have static addresses(namely:0x024C4E70 & 0x024C4E74) so it should have worked. Oh well no dynamic window size then...

Habblatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2009, 10:19:42 am »

I also had the problem with the program crashing, the fix fixed it.
I can conncect to another computer and I can remote control it.
Remote controlling it is pretty delayed, though.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2009, 12:39:00 pm »

Updated:
Some fixes and some optimizations (thought not much...)
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1315
Thinking about changing protocol to UDP...

qwert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2009, 06:30:52 pm »

The fix worked for me, now the only problem I seem to have now is that only the server window can remote control DF, although that might be from me running both the server and the client on the same pc.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2009, 07:11:48 pm »

The fix worked for me, now the only problem I seem to have now is that only the server window can remote control DF, although that might be from me running both the server and the client on the same pc.

It's not a bug it's a feature(tm)  ;)
No really: new feature-> you can set which clients can control DF (server settings button). More help in wiki: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Warmist

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2009, 02:45:09 am »

If I understand well, you could have DF running over two applications, with one doing the calculations and another one the rendering...
And, all of a sudden, topics about graphics, such as isometrics, appear out of thin air.

Given it is possible to run both server and client on the same computer, it should be possible to run them on different cores.
How does your program work ? Does the controlling client do the calculating or is it only the server ?
Currently, how do spectator clients get the image to display ? I mean, do they have all the information DF handles on a map ? Do they ask the server for what they're going to display ?

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2009, 08:08:08 am »

If I understand well, you could have DF running over two applications, with one doing the calculations and another one the rendering...
Three applications:
1. original DF doing all the work
2. server broadcasting every DF windows tile and accepting remote keyboard inputs
3. client showing tiles and sending keyboard inputs
Given it is possible to run both server and client on the same computer, it should be possible to run them on different cores.
yes you could run them on different cores. But that (probably) wouldn't make anything better.
How does your program work ? Does the controlling client do the calculating or is it only the server ?
Currently, how do spectator clients get the image to display ? I mean, do they have all the information DF handles on a map ? Do they ask the server for what they're going to display ?
It works quite simple: finds DF window buffer and reads it, then sends it to clients. So no, client is doing nothing. You could run it on very old machines or (theoretically) on mobiles, iphones or other gadgets.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2009, 08:42:16 am »

It works quite simple: finds DF window buffer and reads it, then sends it to clients. So no, client is doing nothing. You could run it on very old machines or (theoretically) on mobiles, iphones or other gadgets.

Another point would be to run it on a very powerful machine able to decypher the window buffer and re-work the graphics. Say, in an isometric way.
Do you have any information concerning the structure of the DF window buffer ?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7