Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Enough talk, get crackin'  (Read 11228 times)

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: Enough talk, get crackin'
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 02:53:36 am »

I get the same random tile/color problem.
A guess where it could be: you are not correcting the addresses for base image relocation.

Also, please, do release the source.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 03:00:17 am »

:-[ bad news: the buffer is dynamically allocated at Df start...
Good news: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1315  new version. Dynamically finds that address ;)
You need to be in main menu when starting server. And FPS off!

As for source....  :-[  :-[  :-[ it quite evil in every possible way:
  • uses boost (with compilable libs)
  • uses tcod (another lib)
  • uses bits of my "Online roguelike fantasy simulator" code
  • uses hexsearch.h by 0x517A5D (which is btw only windows dependency)
  • written in free form c++ (no structure at all)
so its quite a mess
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 03:04:17 am by darius »

MadKap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2009, 03:20:23 am »

Has anyone tried running dwarf fortress using window's remote desktop? Or anything that uses the remote desktop protocol?

If that works people may find that they can play dwarf fortress on their iphones using the RDP application.

Jaadu Remote Desktop for Windows.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2009, 04:07:02 am »

Still don't work? ???

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2009, 04:37:07 am »

Still don't work? ???
Is it a statement or a question? If its a statement try  admin rights, make sure fps display is off. If it's a question: I hope it works(works for me)

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2009, 04:55:58 am »

Works for me, Windows 7 with no settings changed for ttt.exe. FPS display is off, and I started the server with DF in the main menu, just like you said.
The colors are off and there's some occasional flickering, in the form of vertical sections going black for a moment, but you can definitely see what's going on.
All this, less than a day after someone urges the programmers to get on it. Awesome.
Here's the picture:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The actual game is at the bottom, with the server and client on top of it.

Novocain

• Bay Watcher
  • Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2009, 08:50:52 am »

Works for me, Windows 7 with no settings changed for ttt.exe. FPS display is off, and I started the server with DF in the main menu, just like you said.
The colors are off and there's some occasional flickering, in the form of vertical sections going black for a moment, but you can definitely see what's going on.
All this, less than a day after someone urges the programmers to get on it. Awesome.
Here's the picture:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The actual game is at the bottom, with the server and client on top of it.
I'm verifying these results. I've gotten everything up and running(with flicker and color weirdness), though the results are strange/unworkable if you try a standard DF download(none of graphical update clients), with vertical stripes of mildly accurate tiles, though I doubt support for the old-style graphics would be necessary.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2009, 10:13:08 am »

Similar success story here, XP user.  I use a non-standard grid size, and that messes with how much of the action I can see.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Habblatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2009, 04:47:14 pm »

Works for me, only some minor colour differences and flicker.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2009, 05:05:53 pm »

Um. Guys?

Not to rain on your parade, but.. the graphics source code is indeed available, and linked dynamically as libgraphics.so on linux. You could replace it wholesale with one that works as a network server if you wanted to, which would be a lot more reliable in general.

Well, I don't know how Toady would feel about that though. But it has to be a better way to build something like this..
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2009, 06:03:25 pm »

Um. Guys?

Not to rain on your parade, but.. the graphics source code is indeed available, and linked dynamically as libgraphics.so on linux. You could replace it wholesale with one that works as a network server if you wanted to, which would be a lot more reliable in general.

Well, I don't know how Toady would feel about that though. But it has to be a better way to build something like this..
Well, that's what I thought too. Only problem is that it can be replaced only on linux (AFAIK, never tried the mac version). I do run linux almost exclusively, but what about the majority of people running windows?

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2009, 06:16:33 pm »

I think the idea is to use the libgraphics code for display; that is, you would still need to memory-scrape (on Windows at least), but by using the libgraphics code you should be able to get visuals identical to those displayed by DF (or at least the ports, which seem to not have any real graphical differences from the Windows version).

(I need to actually take a look at libgraphics to see what it actually does, maybe.)

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2009, 06:34:42 pm »

Well, that's what I thought too. Only problem is that it can be replaced only on linux (AFAIK, never tried the mac version). I do run linux almost exclusively, but what about the majority of people running windows?

I wonder if we could get Toady to include a command-line option to Windows DF (and OSX DF, I guess; I can't find any reference to libgraphics in the OSX package, but it may be hidden someplace) to select a graphics library to use dynamically at start-up; that would probably be useful for real-time visualization tools as well.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2009, 09:13:00 pm »

darius, trying to use your latest version over the internet, the client ignores the IP and port I type in and connects to 127.0.0.1:1024 regardless. Took me awhile to notice that after trying to connect a few times.
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2009, 06:12:19 am »

I wonder if we could get Toady to include a command-line option to Windows DF (and OSX DF, I guess; I can't find any reference to libgraphics in the OSX package, but it may be hidden someplace) to select a graphics library to use dynamically at start-up; that would probably be useful for real-time visualization tools as well.

That's technically possible, but choosing what dynamic library to load at runtime (as opposed to compile time, when the compiler does all the grunt work for you) means loading each and every function one by one  (at least it was that way in Windows the last time I tried it. I've never tried it in Linux). Depending on how the library is built, that can be both very annoying and the most boring piece of code ever.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7