Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random Map editing and Trap idea  (Read 960 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Random Map editing and Trap idea
« on: July 30, 2009, 10:27:42 pm »

Two simple thoughts:

1: Allow a the terrain for a world to be generated procedurally, then manually edited and saved, before being passed on to the history simulator. This will allow the relatively meaningless plains and forests to be filled in automatically, freeing mapmakers to work on the essential mountain ranges and cliff-faces, without either sacrificing the quality of these large flatlands, nor the scale of the map.

2: There have been many a suggestion regarding potential ways to make traps a little more balanced, and here's my two cents: If a creature is aware of a trap in that square, they can move through it at full speed with a small chance of accidentally setting it off, or they can (and this would be the default behavior for dwarves) move while "prone" and be safe. This makes main corridors full of razor-sharp traps far less efficient. Thus, it would be wise to have a few separate entrances, or some other clever way of mitigating the slowdowns. Note that adventurers might later on be able to spot traps and choose for themselves whether to dash through the spinning blades, or just try to crawl through safely.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random Map editing and Trap idea
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 08:29:28 am »

Placing and naming the civs would be nice too. Syrups of Bellowing does not a good name make

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:29:48 am »

2: There have been many a suggestion regarding potential ways to make traps a little more balanced, and here's my two cents: If a creature is aware of a trap in that square, they can move through it at full speed with a small chance of accidentally setting it off, or they can (and this would be the default behavior for dwarves) move while "prone" and be safe. This makes main corridors full of razor-sharp traps far less efficient. Thus, it would be wise to have a few separate entrances, or some other clever way of mitigating the slowdowns. Note that adventurers might later on be able to spot traps and choose for themselves whether to dash through the spinning blades, or just try to crawl through safely.
I tend to rank cage traps along entrances (if a force is trying to rush through, then the lead invader triggers one and the next in line triggers the next, etc), if I use them, but one could apply the same methodology to weapon traps that might jam (and of course anything where a degree of reloading is required).  Obviously cage traps are strictly one-use only (without intervention), so a creature becoming aware of its existence from its activation by another of its ilk really doesn't occur (unless you sneak reloaders to the trap from a side-door when the invaders have passed deeper into your convoluted entranceway), but I suspect that it's the "I saw my comrade killed by a big spiked ball" concept that you're talking about.

Perhaps the caution could be applied to neighbouring/nearby traps, though.  Ooops, lead goblin got trapped in a cage.  Second-in-line goblin is then cautious for an arbitrary number of further steps through the corridor while avoiding (or trying to spot, so he can avoid/point out to his compatriots) the next trap in.  Though at some point he'll have walked far enough without sign of traps (maybe over them, but in an ultra-cautious mode not matched by his ability to observe the fate he narrowly missed) to start running at full speed again.

Now, this has plusses and minuses for all.  Overtrapping could increase the cautiousness and trap-finding proficiency of the invading force to a degree where few further traps can claim the remaining bods (as long as they aren't sitting huddled in a corner of your complex, by this point, too scared to move).  On the other hand, the occasional trap could be a useful speed-limiter to a force, making them move at half or quarter speed along perfectly safe corridors and let you muster your forces.

It could be linked to trap-types, and perhaps a bit of positional randomness.  Having encountered several giant axes swinging from the ceiling, which are now being looked out for through the tell-tale ceiling openings, there's still a surprise element when the spikes pop up out of the floor through the previously unseen gaps between the cobbles and the serrated disks come out and slice down the walls along head-height slits.  And anyone who survives that suddenly discovers he has been engulfed by the cage that was laid out flat in the grassy inner exit to the settlement's compound...

Obviously it would need to be extended to enemy-activated pressue plates, though manually activated anti-invader responses would be a different matter (except, maybe, so far as to designate certain tiles as ones they should try to avoid, and maybe recognise later atom-smasher layouts, "dunking bridges" and "hot hatches" in order than safer paths might be attempted, either in continuing the near-suicidal charge inwards or in the process of escaping the Pramid of DOOOOMMMM! that has finally broken the spirit of the survivors.

Or something. ;)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 10:49:32 am »

Hmm... some interesting ideas, there. I was myself thinking that "aware" units would be the same as they are now; i.e., it would include all your own dwarves, and units allied with a merchant who has walked past a trap safely.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:04:30 am »

Hmm... some interesting ideas, there. I was myself thinking that "aware" units would be the same as they are now; i.e., it would include all your own dwarves, and units allied with a merchant who has walked past a trap safely.
Ah.  "Friendly fire", instead of "Unfriendly misfire".

Well balancing in both directions might prevent ubertrapping as a primary siege defence.

(As it is, I try to anti-metagame design my defences so that while any cage-trap hallway might end up trapping every non-resident that wanders in, sneaky thieves excepted, in principle those aren't the the only defences.  Modify according to which style I decided to play with, on that fortress.  My current one has potentially fatal "ballista-tunnels" leading towards my depot that have remained unused due to enemies falling over other layers of the defence, or just encountering one of my tame elephants and routing after a single death.)