Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Confessions of a DF Addict  (Read 1849 times)

MiamiBryce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Confessions of a DF Addict
« on: July 30, 2009, 05:26:23 pm »

Mine:  I bought a 22 inch wide-screen monitor JUST to see more of the map in DF.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Confessions of a DF Addict
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 05:54:48 pm »

If it's resolution you want, there's little real need for an expensive new monitor - I have an old CRT that runs at 1600x1200 (and higher, but that screws up the aspect ratio). That said, I've never tried sizing DF to it...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 05:58:10 pm »

The size of my various saved succession fortresses, fortress versions, tools, hacks and projects only comes to only 254 megabytes?!

I suppose I actually clean out the map export images, but what is the size of other peoples DF folder? That is, ignoring map exported images for things like the DFMA. Those raise the filesize like nobodies business.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 06:48:56 pm »

The size of my various saved succession fortresses, fortress versions, tools, hacks and projects only comes to only 254 megabytes?!

I suppose I actually clean out the map export images, but what is the size of other peoples DF folder? That is, ignoring map exported images for things like the DFMA. Those raise the filesize like nobodies business.
350mb here in total.
I only run 1 fort at a time though (Well, 2 technically but 1 can't proceed.. 3 STEPS (as in pressing .) it crashes) and most of the size comes from different versions and folders with messed up raws.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 07:17:36 pm »

Wow guys, impressed.
My DF folder is only 25.8mb and stored on a 700GB External hard drive with all my other fun things.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 09:04:04 pm »

Hrm. I had 326.2 mB of crap, and I only ran 2 Large maps and all the visualizers and hack tools and the shitdump ala raws folder.

Anyhow, my folder currently contains 0 bytes. Finally upgrading to 40d13 just to try out the new visualizer.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 05:17:56 am »

400mb for me, and the only non-df file is a visualizer.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 07:39:13 am »

Probably around 250MB with tools and everything, and I have seven versions installed. I think most of them are devoid of anything interesting, but they can just sit there until my laptop gets a spring clean.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 08:46:12 am »

648.3MB, across 8 folders, each containing the game.

ikkonoishi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 10:37:36 am »

831 MB
Contains pretty much every version from df_27_176_38c. Also a few utilities and the archive zips. I tend to only have 3 or 4 worlds per version.
Our Dwarven instincts compel us to run blindly towards disaster in case there may be a ☼<☼giant cave spider silk sock☼>☼ lying around.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 01:02:31 pm »

I once had my recycle bin reach 10 GB (yes, GIGABYTES) due to all the deleted failed map generations. Then I realized that I could edit the world gen parameters to get those tropical mountains... D:

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 02:57:08 pm »

6.88 GB in my .../dwarf/... folder on a 92.1 GB drive(laptop).  I have cleaned it out twice since I started playing not quite a year ago, it is due for another cleaning.  There are currently 12 folders including one copy of .40d11, 12 two of 13 and 3 copies of .40d plus some older versions.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 03:18:59 pm »

wow. my total comes to 132.3 MB. Strange thing is, my adventurer DF folder is twice the size of the other two. Thinking about how memory-greedy most modern games are, this is amazingly small for how much pleasure it gives so many people.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 01:28:37 am »

...this is amazingly small for how much pleasure it gives so many people.

:o
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 04:33:18 am »

Yay! I put it in to see if anyone was perverted enough to pick it up. Sensei, you have not disappointed me.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: [1] 2