Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (totally) Underground caravan route?  (Read 2484 times)

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(totally) Underground caravan route?
« on: July 30, 2009, 03:43:58 pm »

The wiki says wagons can enter from "any" edge, so I thought it might be interesting to try building a completely underground path, so trade caravans can come even during a siege. I know you can't normally dig all the way to the edge of the map, but I had the clever idea to turn an underground river into an underground roadway.

For the record, it was unsuccessful. (Despite what the (D)epot Access screen said.)

So I wonder, has anyone else tried this? Could it work at all? Or do wagons entry points have to be Outside/Above Ground?
Akur Akir Akam!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: (totally) Underground caravan route?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 03:49:00 pm »

Reportedly, wagons require a 4x4 region without ramps at the edge of the map in order to appear.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 04:09:13 pm »

Actually . . . I'm curious about this.  If you build a deep-underground fortress on a map with a Dwarven tunnel-road, will the caravans take the tunnel-road to get to the depot?

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 04:19:04 pm »

Actually . . . I'm curious about this.  If you build a deep-underground fortress on a map with a Dwarven tunnel-road, will the caravans take the tunnel-road to get to the depot?

As long as they start above ground and there is a path and depot there, caravans will go deep into your fortress. I always put my depot in my fort.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 04:33:27 pm »

Reportedly, wagons require a 4x4 region without ramps at the edge of the map in order to appear.
I had that, just. Though not all of it was paved. I'll try paving that last bit and see what happens.

I don't know what else it could have been besides the underground location, I don't suppose cave spider webs would be a problem.

Edit: No dice. They still showed up on the surface, sans wagons. (Whereupon most were promptly slaughtered by beak dogs.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:16:01 pm by ManaUser »
Akur Akir Akam!

eviscerator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 07:30:54 pm »

I make curtain walls or channel moats about as close to the edge as I can come, then a network of underground roads from different access points (so I can access lower z-level forests, etc.) that all meet up into a long 3-wide hall going to a surface trade depot.  Takes all of the challenge out of the game though, as only kobolds can make it to base, and then the cougars, grizzlies, and war dogs get them...

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 12:20:46 pm »

I tried the same thing as the OP with no luck either. I just had an idea however which may or may not work so I am going to have to try it.  The idea is to build a curtain wall around the whole map and fill it all in with magma thus making the only accessible edge tiles the underground river entrance.  Even if it doesn't work, I think it is a worthy task purely for the sheer dwarflieness of the project.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 12:26:27 pm »

Is that 4x4 with anything but ramps? I've been forcing traders to appear on a 3-wide path using raised bridges. No ramps involved at all with that one.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.