Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: inside-out world megaproject  (Read 3155 times)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: inside-out world megaproject
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 12:52:57 pm »

Good thinking.

Microline could still be useful though. You could make a 'lake' on the 'surface' of your world. Just plop down some microcline in the sand layer.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 01:50:47 pm »

No, for lakes I will use real water in clear glass containers.

Edit: I just embarked in nice 3x3 area and designated some work. Right now I am browsing dfma and looking for some inspirating design. I am pretty confident, only few problems could be carp infestation (Jeez, so many carps! Almost carpsplosion) and few imps in pipe.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 01:59:56 pm by DennyTom »
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 02:42:02 pm »

You could always mimic the river directly below itself with glass floors (can you make glass floors?) and walls then open the river up to the glass area.  While it's filling, build pumps on the exit end with 1 water wheel to pump the water out of the map... just for kicks.  ;D
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 03:32:11 pm »

You could always mimic the river directly below itself with glass floors (can you make glass floors?) and walls then open the river up to the glass area.  While it's filling, build pumps on the exit end with 1 water wheel to pump the water out of the map... just for kicks.  ;D

Man, that is in the plan from the very begining.

I had to abandon - I forgot the underground river for tower cap farm.

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 09:25:20 pm »

Magma casting is necessary since you can't build walls at the very outer edge of the map. And if you do wall it off, doesn't it stop both traders and sieges?
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 01:22:35 pm »

You could do a sunset sort of thing in the sky by having part of it water and part magma. If you've got a bottomless bit it could become a hole in the ozone layer n_n
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 07:51:23 pm »

... If you've got a bottomless bit it could become a hole in the ozone layer n_n

I have cca 4x4 pit that came with underground river

My dwarves now have very basic acommodation and I am spending lots and lots of time by designating what should have been mined. Will post to dfma soon (hopefuly).

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2009, 08:07:04 pm »

I hope you make an inverted lava pipe, filled with magma over a glass cap in the inverted world part
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 06:11:43 pm »

I am slowly working on this:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6623-minedceiling

I am pleased with speed of mining. Big part of interiors is mined out and I am slowly moving everything inside. However I lost 2 dwarves due to incidents with magma (one fallen in pipe and second "dodged" there when runing away from groundhog).

Glass industry is slowly starting and in a few months I will start replacing stone courtyard's floor with clear glass one.

I was not yet ambushed (second year so...) but I worry a bit due to lack of military. Maybe some traps to be sure. Right now the limit of 50 dwarves is set, I want to make sure everything is running nice before luring a baron.

There is also one unpleasant thing - I get no liason, so my fort will have to be a little more self-sustaining.
Pages: 1 [2]