Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: inside-out world megaproject  (Read 3161 times)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
inside-out world megaproject
« on: July 30, 2009, 03:02:27 pm »

I am momentairly trying to find a map that would be as flat as possible, with no aquifier, brook, bottomless pit and had some other features.

The plan is to turn it inside out.

From this:
Code: [Select]
............... <-air
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ <-soil
===============
=============== <-stone
===============

into this
Code: [Select]
............... <-air
===============
=============== <-walls
===============
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ <-soil
=.....XX......=               <- XX is position of fort
=.............= <-open space
=.............=
=============== <-floor of the world

Any thoughts, advices?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: inside-out world megaproject
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 03:11:00 pm »

Makes me think of the Stone Tower Temple from Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 03:49:28 pm »

Well you'd need to use obsidian casting wouldn't you? Otherwise the 'stone' layers would just be constructed walls wouldn't they?

Also can support transfer from top down or will the whole fort just cave in.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 03:57:20 pm »

Well you'd need to use obsidian casting wouldn't you? Otherwise the 'stone' layers would just be constructed walls wouldn't they?

Also can support transfer from top down or will the whole fort just cave in.
Supports would work fine.  You'd just need to build scaffold to place the items since you can't build down.  You can technically do this fairly simple already.  Build your castle underground, then mine out all around it leaving your soil layers.

It would be easier to "fill" the sky if you had magma.  If you don't have it, you may also run out of stone.  The hard part of that is knowing when to stop using the magma pipe and busting it up.... which might lead to raining magma anyway.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:00:07 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 04:02:04 pm »

My guess of how to do it would be this:

1. Carve your your fortress below ground.
2. Obsidian cast every open air z-level.
3. Mine out every z-level below the soil (except your fortress).

If you do this you HAVE to do neat up-side down things even if they make no sense. So have an upsidedown bridge where the 'entrance gate' is a z-level below the bridge, put fortifications on the 'top' of upsidedown towers, and what not.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 04:42:43 pm »

Originaly I wanted to build walls and imitate stone layers and veins, but obsidian might be much much easier. It however brings new problem with destroying magma pipe after finishing.

I plan constructing the top layer from metal (just for aestethic reason).

Upside down design Slogo is proposing is mandatory. I would like to even replace river's bed (I hope this is what is river's floor called) with a new clear glass one.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 04:47:30 pm »

Well you can't mind out the bottom of the bottom most layer anyways. So what I'd do is drain and lower the pipe to the bottom most z-level and cap it there.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 06:23:13 pm »

Well you can't mind out the bottom of the bottom most layer anyways. So what I'd do is drain and lower the pipe to the bottom most z-level and cap it there.
Better idea... expand it slowly as to let it fill up each layer completely covering the bottom.  Then you can have a "magma sky".  I doubt the pipe will be able to keep up with the evaporation factor so you'll have level 1 magma pathing around the top of it until it evaporates, but at least it won't fill in your newly created void.

I realize that's kind of vague... dig out the bottom layer around the pipe enough that all the magma fills what you dug out.  Let the pipe refill and repeat this process until the bottom layer is filled.  You'll have to dig access tunnels to be able to channel out the walls on the lower level holding back the flow, but it's possible.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:25:42 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 06:28:37 pm »

Idea:

-Take a 3x3 size site, as it is decently large for what you are going to accomplish.
 -Begin the excavation of the underground, making sure your fortress is sealed down there.
 -Construct a tower in the center that pumps magma and water to the top z-level.
 -Alternate between flooding the world with magma and water. Magma won't flow off the map edge.
 -Now just finish up clearing out the underground and ta-daa! Inverted world. You might want to keep a three-tile-wise opening at ground level not flooded for invaders and traders.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 12:54:31 am »

You could use the bottom layer of the magma pipe as a sun and then cover the rest of the bottom level with a microline floor to represent a blue sky with alunite clouds.

You should also build wooden supports and pillars on the "surface" to represent a forest.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 06:02:46 am »

You could use the bottom layer of the magma pipe as a sun and then cover the rest of the bottom level with a microline floor to represent a blue sky with alunite clouds.

You should also build wooden supports and pillars on the "surface" to represent a forest.

This is a fun idea.

Magma pipe would have to be capped, because I see no way how to safely remove the almost bottom layer without burning my dwarves.

I was also thinking about 3x3. Just for the fun I have already mined out world once in 2x2. It was surprisingly easy. Maybe I'll have to cheat a little when finding a site, because it tends to place a magma pipe just where want to build something and ruins my design.

Yes, there must be a small opening at ground level for traders, however they will be immidiately led down. Also I will need some glass so I must be carefull to leave some sand or to prepare a lot of glass before casting obsidian over sand areas.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 07:58:27 am »

This is a fun idea.

Magma pipe would have to be capped, because I see no way how to safely remove the almost bottom layer without burning my dwarves.

I was also thinking about 3x3. Just for the fun I have already mined out world once in 2x2. It was surprisingly easy. Maybe I'll have to cheat a little when finding a site, because it tends to place a magma pipe just where want to build something and ruins my design.

Yes, there must be a small opening at ground level for traders, however they will be immidiately led down. Also I will need some glass so I must be carefull to leave some sand or to prepare a lot of glass before casting obsidian over sand areas.
Dig out a ring at the lowest level around the pipe, then channel out a hole from above.  The magma will fill in what you dug out.  Repeat until the whole level is full, then destroy the pipe, place floors linked to the fort to channel out the remaining obsidian around the pipe.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 08:15:16 am »

This is a fun idea.

Dig out a ring at the lowest level around the pipe, then channel out a hole from above.  The magma will fill in what you dug out.  Repeat until the whole level is full, then destroy the pipe, place floors linked to the fort to channel out the remaining obsidian around the pipe.

This may not be necesiarly possible. Nevermind, capping and mining it should do the trick.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 09:33:12 am »

Simply have two levels of sand. Collapse the bottommost sand layer onto the bottom of the map, and you can use it whenever.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 12:30:38 pm »

Simply have two levels of sand. Collapse the bottommost sand layer onto the bottom of the map, and you can use it whenever.

Thank you, this is a great idea.

I've also finally found a way how install a well and not have water container "above" the well. I will make the sky from water and not microcline. So my dwarves will get their water from "sky".
Pages: [1] 2