Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with floodgates.  (Read 1096 times)

radicalaces

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with floodgates.
« on: July 30, 2009, 01:45:03 pm »

This has been a recurring problem of mine since I started playing, sometimes my dwarves are inable to hook up mechanisms to floodgates to attach them to levers.

They will just sit there trying for about a minute, give up, leave the mechanism there, and wait for a new mechanic to take a shot.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:47:05 pm by radicalaces »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Help with floodgates.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 01:57:29 pm »

Linking machinery is one of the most time consuming tasks possible, because dwarves have to haul two mechanisms to two far away locations, and also because dwarves like getting a drink in the middle of it and causing the whole thing to start over again.

It has to be done in one go, see.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

radicalaces

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 02:01:50 pm »

Tell me if this would work, trapping the dwarves so that they are forced to work?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 02:06:28 pm »

That might not be an option depending on what you're linking things to. They'd need access to the two mechanisms they're using to link the thing, the floodgate, and the trigger. Depending on where that trigger is, trapping them might not be possible.

If you can trap them, however, then by all means, do so.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

radicalaces

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 02:09:30 pm »

Thanks, and I believe I can do it, I'll just set up a custom stockpile and fill it with mechanisms and put the level in a closed area nearby.

Once again thanks!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 02:11:28 pm »

Thanks, and I believe I can do it, I'll just set up a custom stockpile and fill it with mechanisms and put the level in a closed area nearby.

Once again thanks!

Make sure this lever can be operated in all circumstances and won't be disabled from use by whatever you're trying to do. For example, having the lever that closes the floodgates that is flooding your fortress itself be flooded.

radicalaces

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 02:21:48 pm »

Yeah I figured, but it's tough cause I can't find a spot that fits my asthetically pleasing idea of a fortress.

Not really any areas left for levers on this level

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 02:30:08 pm »

This might not be so helpful for the topic, but I like how that fort looks.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 02:48:59 pm »

Yeah I figured, but it's tough cause I can't find a spot that fits my asthetically pleasing idea of a fortress.

Set up four symmetrical levers in that central area, and don't hook the extras to anything.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

radicalaces

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 02:54:37 pm »

I went with 1 on each of the dining rooms.

This might not be so helpful for the topic, but I like how that fort looks.

Thanks!