Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small bomb mod  (Read 2298 times)

GD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Small bomb mod
« on: July 30, 2009, 12:07:22 pm »

Boiling of booze is interesting but booze brewed for drinking, not exploding. So i started small mod that will include some auto flammable things and some freezing.
Here it can be downloaded http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1280

Now it have domestic bombs and exploding madshrooms (plant them and see what happens with nearest enemyes :)

I want to add metal that will explode at temp of elven body and race of cold blood dwarfs that will use it. But i dont know will it work or not. Maybe someone created something like this?

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Small bomb mod
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 12:14:42 pm »

I don't believe matglosses can have a fixed temp tag, only creatures.

Does this actually work?

Oh, if you set the boiling point on the freezing stone to something real low, it'd evaporate instantly and cause anything standing in the mist to freeze to death. A melted stone acts kinda like water where it will stick on items, but won't do much towards killing them when it's cold.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:16:52 pm by blah28722 »

GD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 10:37:55 pm »

Yes it works with plants creatures stones and metals. Also i alredy create freezing bombs and shrooms. But for weapon  i am not sure how to do this. Maybe create bolts from metal with boiling point near 10060 and  SPEC_HEAT:1 and dwarfs with fixed_temp 10000 so they can use this bolts without risk.

edit:
Boiling weapon didnt work so i should concentrate on other things like creatures and plants.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 01:01:36 am by GD »

GD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 01:04:18 pm »

mod update:
Nuclear bomb- stronger than normal fire bomb and more dangerous when explode
Mosquito - small evil beasts, very evil
Doomshroom - another exploding mushroom
Burnshroom - it burns before boiling, so it can be stored under water to prevent auto-ignition
Lavashroom - it grows under lava or near lava or maybe not grows at all

also added new layer with some unnormal minerals

But i still dont know, how exploding weapon can be created. The only result i have now - is unstable Crossbow that burned out both hands of my hunter, when he use it in close combat.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 04:11:39 pm »

make a special metal  that can be crafted into arrows,when it hits a target it goes BOOM<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 04:15:42 pm »

Wait, you've worked out how to get triggerable explosions? Awesome. My mines can finally come into existence! Do you think you could mod me up a separate mine mod (i'm not interested in the rest) using the work you've done here and then link me up in a pm?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 12:39:04 am »

When I tested this it didn't seem to work.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

GD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 01:11:39 am »

Hmm what didn't work? All or just some things? And how it didn'n work?

I found what wrong with metals - i used fixed_temp in them. But anything with fixed_temp will not raise it temperature, for one exception - if it ignition point lower then fixed temp. Then it start burning and raise temp from fixed_temp to melting_point or boiling_point or heatdampoint. If it melts then its temperature getting lower and it ignite again. If it reaches boiling point then it boils. And heatdam just destroy thing. I should try again create boiling bolts, and yes mines is also good idea.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 07:54:58 am »

I just love the word 'doomshroom' ;D

Also, explosions dont mine out rock or anything. They actualy arnt realy explosions, they are just evaporations which are assumed to be either very cold or very hot.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

GD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 08:50:59 am »

My mod updated to version 0.8 and now it have unstable metal. It also have polar dwarfs to operate with this metal, because other creatures have 99,9% chance of small explosion in their hands. Mod also have small readme and for some reason Giant hoary marmots. Unstable metal supposed to be used in creation of exploding bolts.

to Rowanas:
It seems that only cretures with fixed_temp or just high temp have strong effect on stones and other. Normal creatures dont activate mines or if mines are created from more termo-sensitive material than they can be activated by weather. So at this moment i can't create mines.

to Grimlocke:
As i know, the only explosions that exists in DF are explosions of workshops, but they weak and cant throw items far away when explode. So no Ultimate Cannon can be constructed :( And even ridiculously high temp doest allow to create really big bum with boiling, so 'Breath of Armok' also cannot be constructed. As for mining out rock - it seems that rock doesnt melt boil or do something else before dwarfs mine them. But they can warm if somthing really warm placed near them.

PS it seems that i forgot to change metal, so now it have DAMAGE_PERC:1

Edit: v0.81 = v0.8 + reaction to create more powerfull unstable metal with normal DAMAGE_PERC
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 08:59:50 am by GD »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 10:48:52 am »

Just a thought:

Cage trap made of unstable metal cage inside a cold stone (hur, ice cream) mechanism.

Creature gets caught inside the cage, and would his body heat/temperature from enviroment cause the explosion because the cage is no longer insulated by a cold stone base?

If it works, it'd work very well as a mine.

GD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 07:07:47 am »

Mod updated to 0.9 version

it seems that cage - mine works well. But damege from boiling metal now is low it should be balanced.

And how can i told traders and others that unstable metal is unstable? [DEEP] tag add some stuff that i dont want. Maybe just low price so metal_pref civs prefer iron or steel?

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 07:53:58 am »

[DEEP] or [BRITTLE] would cause traders to not bring anything made of that metal.

The problem with [BRITTLE] is that it causes the behavior by making it impossible to make anything (bar artifacts) with that metal in the first place. Traders can still bring bars of that metal, too.

[DEEP] is your best bet. Otherwise, remove [METAL_PREF] from dwarves.

GD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 09:43:21 am »

Mod updated:
All unstable metals now have [DEEP] so number of dead traders will be lower then before. It also have some rebalancing and some other things but i am tired from boiling, changing raw and boiling and boiling and burning and freezing. So i stop updating of this mod. I hope that some ideas from this mod like exploding mushrooms and mines will be useful and fun. :)