Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: The unhealthy cynics were right all along.  (Read 9338 times)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The unhealthy cynics were right all along.
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 09:12:48 am »

just a large number of people who cannot afford food

This.
Also... DAMNIT THE HYBRIDS ARE JUST MAKING EVERYTHING HARDER FOR THE FARMER TO GROW!

Yes, the hybrids manage to bring the harvest to 3 times a year, but:

Most hybrids are sterile, so the farmers needs to buy the seeds again <- When they grow their own seeds, there is no need to buy
Hybrids are only optimum at the soil which they are made from <- Indonesia has a DIVERSE soil PH, altitude, etc etc.

Also, the current government policies (SELL ALL GOVERMENT CORPORATIONS TO THE PUBLIC! !!! <- Indonesia is a Welfare state by design... :(

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2009, 09:18:22 am »

I live in a Welfare state.  Most people here don't damn work and make more money then people who do work.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2009, 09:56:49 am »

Heh, on unhealthy cynicism, I'd like someone to make a "Supersize Me", but instead of a guy eating McDonald's every day, the guy eats only a whole load of raw 'organic vegetables' three times a day and avoids exercise. I just hope he doesn't die.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2009, 09:57:50 am »

No matter what food you eat, eating too much is unhealthy.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 10:06:33 am »

Heh, on unhealthy cynicism, I'd like someone to make a "Supersize Me", but instead of a guy eating McDonald's every day, the guy eats only a whole load of raw 'organic vegetables' three times a day and avoids exercise. I just hope he doesn't die.

That movie made me mad.  It was really misleading.

Hey, this guy spent who knows how long eating meals cooked by his vegan girlfriend, and when he suddenly switches to eating excessive amounts of fast food for every meal, it makes him sick!

Stop the presses man, this is revolutionary.
Shoes...

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 10:07:12 am »

Well frikin duh.

I never trusted that crap from day one when they started popping up on the shelves.

If you want this so called 'organic' food. GROW A GARDEN.

This
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 10:43:09 am »

Hey, this guy spent who knows how long eating meals cooked by his vegan girlfriend, and when he suddenly switches to eating excessive amounts of fast food for every meal, it makes him sick!

It is apperantly not the point it was supposed to just be a tangable example.

Though I agree that he didn't spend enough time on the fact that changing his diet contributed to most of his problems while anyone else could have gotten through this with only mild problems.

Though he did get his own TV show and from the sounds of it... It is horrible (Honestly... "Lets spend a day with Homosexuals", I cannot imagine that being very interesting) but it did get a good episode of Low Income families that seems soo perfectly put together that it seems fixed.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:44:40 am by Neonivek »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2009, 02:46:44 pm »

His TV show was great. It wasn't 'spend a day' it was 'spend a month'. And it wasn't him, usually, it was other people. Every season had one episode where he was part of it. Such as the 30 days on minimum wage, and 30 days working in a coal mine.

Anyway, I read an article recently called The Ubiquitous Matrix of Lies.

http://www.realitysandwich.com/ubiquitous_matrix_lies

It discusses the cheapening of the meanings of words. I was reminded of it in this thread, how Organic, All Natural, and Fat Free have become meaningless misdirections that people no longer care to notice.
!!&!!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2009, 02:51:04 pm »

So true.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2009, 04:02:19 pm »

I live in a Welfare state.  Most people here don't damn work and make more money then people who do work.
Dunno where you live, but here in the UK people who don't work get a workhouse rate of £60 a week, and have to accept any job that comes their way.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2009, 04:22:38 pm »

I've been specifically eating foods labeled "Organic" for as long as I can remember.  The first couple articles were meaningless to me however, as it was never due to a belief that they had any more nutrients or whatnot than the others.  The only reason my family had for buying Organic foods was that we didn't want the artificial pesticides and fertilizers.

This is tricky.  We live in Vegas, so growing our own food is not particularly viable (trust me, if it were, we would've done that ages ago.  It just tastes better).  The only things we can coax into life here are a few bushels of parsley and whatever tiny shriveled grapes the birds don't get to first.  We also have a mint infestation along one of the walls.

Everything else in the backyard is either gravel, pool, or oleander.  And that oleander isn't looking particularly tasty, to be perfectly frank.  Organic or otherwise.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2009, 04:25:10 pm »

So true.

Avatar. Yeeessss. Footkerchief should never have abandoned this.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2009, 04:28:52 pm »

Dunno where you live, but here in the UK people who don't work get a workhouse rate of £60 a week, and have to accept any job that comes their way.

Don't remind me.   :(

So true.

Avatar. Yeeessss. Footkerchief should never have abandoned this.

I know!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2009, 04:38:00 pm »

Pesticides, smesticides, I put DDT in my cereal instead of milk.
Shoes...

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2009, 09:11:37 pm »

Why is that as soon as these studies come out that people decry everything about organic foods?

Sure the studies have shown that there is no benefit or disadvantages between EATING organic foods, but that is only one part of the organic process.

The problem is still pesticides, because things like DDT have been shown to cause harm to lands and animal wild life. (And yes I know that DDT is banned under the Stockholm Convention, but it's just one example of many.)

The point is that organic is not just meant to be good for you, but good for the environment.

In saying that however I don't buy organic foods, not because I don't want to pay for it, but nobody were I live sells it!
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8