Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: The unhealthy cynics were right all along.  (Read 9312 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: The unhealthy cynics were right all along.
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 07:34:14 am »

I'm not sure about this, at least when it comes to fruits. Moving fresh fruit from point A to point B is immpossible unless you want rotten fruit. In order to do this, you pick unripened fruit and spray them with a gas in order to ripen them. This is the same gas that the plants use, so it isn't poisonous, but the premature fruit probably doesn't have as many nutrients as the organic type. The organic kind is grown locally because it has to be, so I would be suspicious if the organic label pops up it cities.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 07:56:42 am »

Well... Around where I live Organic Bananas means you can get Bananas already ripe so you can eat them right when they get home.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 08:11:43 am »

I knew organic foods were just like the rest of the green movement, just a way for dumb people to feel like they're making a difference without all the hassle of actually making a difference.

It's a good day to be a jerk.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 08:20:00 am »

I knew organic foods were just like the rest of the green movement, just a way for dumb people to feel like they're making a difference without all the hassle of actually making a difference.

It wasn't ALL dumb. It was just another good thing taken by someone who was tired of people ignoring him who stretched the truth until no one knew the truth anymore (Like Global Warming)

Organic food is often produced because it is better for the environment, something not refered to by the article. Though Organic food is unsustainable as a whole and some Pesticides are becoming better.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 08:20:46 am »

I will punch the environment right in the neck if it tells me to stop eating processed food.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 08:22:57 am »

Sigged, for great cynical justice.  It was less clunky that the Scribblenauts conversation.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 08:26:31 am »

NoOoOOoooooOoooOoooooo.  Ah, well.  I have picture.

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 08:28:29 am »

Well, if the yuppies that spend extra money to buy organic food can't tell the difference, then why do they even buy the stuff? I thought people bought organic food because its supposedly higher-quality or better tasting.

If people drive longer trips to shop at the co-op grocery store or the farmer's market they are easily making up for any greenhouse emissions spared with organic farming methods and its distribution chains.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 08:41:22 am »

Heh.
And we here still debate on how to FEED our people.

Different world, eh.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 08:45:17 am »

Sell computer for food.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2009, 08:46:51 am »

We have seen products labelled "Organic salt" and "Carbon free sugar".  Both of those molecules are pretty unnatural.  Maybe these are, in fact, special alien versions of organic salt and inorganic sugar, perhaps containing silicone?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2009, 08:47:40 am »

We have some excellent homeless programs around where I live though I still feel more could be done.

Why don't you explain the situation IndonesiaWarMinister. Is it a Food Crisis or just a large number of people who cannot afford food?

Some Fake Food Lables:
-"Fat Free": Yes these are Fat free, but so is Pure Sugar. I've seen bags of Candy have this lable.
-"All Natural": This statement is Vague and pretty much meaningless.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:52:34 am by Neonivek »

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2009, 08:51:08 am »

Third World Countries always have food problems right now, that needs to be fixed.  Some of us get two or three times more food than we need.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2009, 08:54:25 am »

The problem is that if we flood poor countries with cheap or free food from the west, their farmers lose out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 08:57:06 am »

The problem is that if we flood poor countries with cheap or free food from the west, their farmers lose out.

Honestly watching the whole food economy is like seeing the pure definition of Vicious Cycle.

Farmer: "Alright I need more Money, so I should grow more food"
Later
Farmer: "Alright so I made more food but now it is worth less money, I should get rid of some of my food"
REPEAT from step 1

Honestly Farmers have things tough enough as it is without apperantly needing a PHD in Economics and buisness
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8