Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding the butcherability of Domestic animals  (Read 700 times)

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding the butcherability of Domestic animals
« on: July 30, 2009, 02:36:37 am »

Hi, I'm working on setting up a splatter tower (basically a drop-trap that lays down a nice and dead animal corpse from my breeding stock right next to the butcher shop at dwarfputer-controlled intervals) and I just noticed that most of the animals I plan to use for this nefarious plan can't be butchered post-death under normal circumstances, and must be *slaughtered*

I've been rutting about awhile looking for a solution in the forum and on the wiki, and I see that back in the days of yore this behaviour was controlled by the BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD tag, but these days it seems to be somewhere under ethics... And I have no idea which, if any of the ethics tags would be involved in this.  Can someone help me out?

Also, is ethics a change that requires rebuilding the world, or should I just be able to re-load the fort and get on with my happy, splatter-tower-enhanced life?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding the butcherability of Domestic animals
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 02:51:12 am »

Question: Which animals are you using?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 02:54:21 am »

Cows and cats are the two animals giving me trouble right now.  I've also got a breeding population of alligators that seem to work fine and butcher up beautifully.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 08:45:26 am »

are your animals pets by any chance?

I've never had problems butchering dead animals of any sort, unless they were already owned by someone.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:17:48 pm »

Tame animals can only be slaughtered (where you designate the animal to be slaughtered, and a dwarf leads the live animal to the butcher's shop and then magically turns the living animal into meat and bones and such).  Tame animal corpses cannot be butchered, no matter how they died or if they were pets or designated for slaughtered or such.  So while (presumably still wild) alligators will work, this project will only work for cows or cats if you can somehow stock it with wild cows or cats, rather than tame ones.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

koruth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 01:12:16 pm »

Right, that's the *problem*.   But you say there's no way of changing that, even in this new-fangled ethics menu?  Darn.  What a senseless waste of good meat...