Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possession games?  (Read 4688 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Possession games?
« on: July 30, 2009, 01:02:57 am »

Taking control of a npc in a game was aways a fun thing for me, too bad there aren't many games or even rpgs with such a feature. I played messiah (rather old 3rd person shooter) were possession and direct control over NPCs is the main thing, and it was fun for a while, though the game felt very incomplete and buggy, probably because its company was sorta grinding itself to a slow slow death.

Does me fellow dorfs/gobbo/elves/cutebolds/umans know of any games like this, or that have possession as a feature in some way?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Possession games?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 01:10:03 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=803898

Omikron: the Nomad Soul comes to mind.
not exactly possession, but the core of the game/story features a main character who can inhabit other bodies.

Also, its part designed by David Bowie. Weird!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 01:32:07 am »

Interesting and HOLY FRIGGEN SHIT DAVID BOWIE IS INVOLVED <3

Fanboyism aside, i looked that game up and it seems a sequel is being produced, though its by a small company know for its delayed projects and cancellations. I'll just wait and hope it doesn't die or worse: Become duke nuken forever 2.0
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 01:37:34 am »

Dungeon Master had a spell where you could enter a minion. Vastly overpowered and made it into an FPS, but it was something.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 01:51:25 am »

Dungeon Master or Dungeon Keeper?  Never played Dungeon Master, but Dungeon Keeper also allowed you to enter into the bumpy little head of one of your minions and pull all the pretty levers.

In Dungeon Keeper 2, if you were inside a minion, you could move faster and hit objects farther away than they would normally be able to.  Some even had special powers that could only be accessed through possession, such as the Vampire's ability to charm people or the Bile Demon's improvised imp-missile (or the priest/fairy's ability to pray...  I was never quite sure what that did).

One interesting side effect of possessing something would be that the animations would get screwed up something dreadful.  They would simply glide along the ground instead of running, and attack animations lagged significantly... But then again, they always did.

I actually designed a couple DK2 maps based around possession.  You know, I'm very rarely proud of the things I create...  But those maps were things of beauty.  I may just have to take a crack at remaking them...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 03:02:55 am »

Second Sight is a game that I enjoyed fairly well, somewhat decent plot but a little clichéd. You can posses people in this psychically. It is however a linear 3rd person shooter.

edit to add its where I borrowed my gaming name from, I always stumble when trying to choose a name on forums and in games :P.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 03:04:59 am by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 03:32:35 am »

Well, there's the Oddworld: Abe's platformers, where your otherwise wimpy character can take over enemies on screen, but also takes some time to do so.

I think I recall Requiem: Avenging Angel featuring a power of possession.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 04:13:42 am »

Stubbs the Zombie :D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 04:51:01 am »

IIRC in Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption there's a possession power available to certain races. It's mostly a FPS though, and the atmosphere after the medieval times sucks IMO.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 05:13:22 am »

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 07:53:17 am »

Old school, but Legacy of Kain 1 and 2 I know for sure have the spell your looking for. The first was much better IMO, I did not bother with the others in the series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_of_Kain
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Singularity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 10:11:53 am »

A while back a friend of mine showed me Geist.  It's a Gamecube game, but it's a puzzler based entirely on possessing people and objects.  It may just be the sort of thing you're looking for.  Good luck finding it in stores, though. :P

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 10:32:41 am »

A while back a friend of mine showed me Geist.  It's a Gamecube game, but it's a puzzler based entirely on possessing people and objects.  It may just be the sort of thing you're looking for.  Good luck finding it in stores, though. :P
Geist is awesome, all the way up to the final boss. The last bit of that fight is terrible.

It's not entirely a puzzler. It's also got a bit of shooting.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 10:47:36 am »

Ghost Master is a game with several kinds of Possession. (Dream Walker is a great one)

It is a puzzle game.

Tip: In Ghost Master speed gets much more Gold Plasma then taking the game slow and driving everyone insane.