Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DENIAC - The 2 floor, 6 bit mechanical adder.  (Read 8113 times)

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
Re: DENIAC - The 2 floor, 6 bit mechanical adder.
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 12:51:23 am »

Hmm. Computing using a feature of a program on a computer itself. Interesting, if recursive.

I plan to foray into this myself, once I actually find a damn use for it. I mean, AND and OR gates is pretty damned simple to do with levers and gears already, and NOT gates would require a little setup, but otherwise I'd have to try and figure out some sort of memory system.

Seriously, how big of a world would you need to play dwarf fortress INSIDE dwarf fortress?
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 05:36:10 am »

Um...

The more interesting question is how good a computer you would need to do that, and where can I get one?

Heck. A full scientific calculator in DF, with a proper display, would be a good trick. I *think* that might just about be possible if you start with, say, the tallest mountain map knocking about (200 z-levels, was it?) leveling the mountain, and then filling it from the lowest z-level to the highest with dwarfish ingenuity.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 02:45:14 pm »

Um...

The more interesting question is how good a computer you would need to do that, and where can I get one?

Heck. A full scientific calculator in DF, with a proper display, would be a good trick. I *think* that might just about be possible if you start with, say, the tallest mountain map knocking about (200 z-levels, was it?) leveling the mountain, and then filling it from the lowest z-level to the highest with dwarfish ingenuity.
I once saw a video of little big world where somebody had built in several calculator functions and the machine was huge.
...then I saw the mechanical computing devices people have actually built o_0
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 03:42:37 pm »

Um...

I once saw a video of little big world where somebody had built in several calculator functions and the machine was huge.

They had analogue calculators back in ancient Greece and Rome. And battery's in ancient Egypt with probably(but we don't know for sure yet) light bulbs.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 01:06:33 am »

Um...

There's this, too.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 11:16:31 pm »

Stupid Off Topic Question: I did a google search and have been fascinated by Mr. Boole ever since.  My question is why are full-adders so important, can't a half-adder be linked to other half-adders just as easily as full-adders are?

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 11:35:48 pm »

Does this allow me to assault elves more graphically? No? Awwww.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2009, 02:33:40 am »

Stupid Off Topic Question: I did a google search and have been fascinated by Mr. Boole ever since.  My question is why are full-adders so important, can't a half-adder be linked to other half-adders just as easily as full-adders are?

Full-adders add three bits, so they can use the carry from another adder.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2009, 06:10:19 am »

Does this allow me to assault elves more graphically? No? Awwww.

Actually, I could see someone making an incredibly ingenious automated attack/defense system.

Involving lots of magma of course.

Garfblarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 07:43:33 am »

I told a friend of mine about computing in dwarf fortress, and he shrugged and asked if it could run crysis.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 12:41:19 pm »

Perhaps it might be possible at about one frame per year.

gregorah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 10:45:42 pm »

Perhaps it might be possible at about one frame per year.

I would be surprised if it did even that.

So DENIAC has been upgraded to include the ability to subtract numbers as well. Ooh. I'd show you all but it looks exactly the same as before (I just connected a lever to certain bits of the carry).

I'm considering a couple options for my next Stupid Dwarf Trick, either an animal/enemy conveyor belt (i.e. a bunch of floodgates that nudge an enemy along a path, though idk if floodgates/doors nudge enemies, since they don't nudge items), or an upgrade to the display of DENIAC (showing the A word, B word, and the result {maybe including the operation} {possibly 7-segment, no magma-display though :(}). Thoughts?

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 01:57:13 am »

Sadly, floodgates just break if there's something other than water or magma in the way. Annoying, but meh. I vote seven-segment.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 08:32:21 am »

And battery's in ancient Egypt with probably(but we don't know for sure yet) light bulbs.

No. God no.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 08:44:06 am »

{possibly 7-segment, no magma-display though :(}). Thoughts?
7 segment display (of course the result in decimal, why else even bother with a seven segment display otherwise) would be pretty damn sweet. Not that DENIAC isnt pretty sweet already.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4