Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 3498 3499 [3500] 3501 3502 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5140865 times)

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Homestuck
« Reply #52485 on: April 13, 2016, 11:39:53 pm »

It strikes me that the kids end up in the safest possible place to be - the one place guaranteed not to have been smashed by Lord English during his entire timespace-transcending rampage - the session that created him. If that isn't a happy ending, I dunno what is. (As for the future lack of viability of the human race, well, given that the three non-scratch sessions we know of were all started by different species, that's probably just the nature of the end of the universe.)

Meanwhile, like I've said before - Cal never finished his nigh-impossible-to-win game. Everything that he does as Lord English is part of the self-creating paradox all Sburbgrubwhatever players go through - in this case he ensures the creation of his own session. His Green Sun is undone, of course, as we knew it would be because it had to not be there in that spot when Rose and Dave come to ignite it. I still think this is why Doc Scratch claimed LE was already accounted for by Paradox Space - he was supposed to do all that stuff. And then he loses, having fulfilled his destiny.

Admittedly, I'm not sure how the Homosuck depiction of Cal getting juju'd along with a good chunk of the cast fits in to all this. Maybe that gets covered in the game? Maybe it involves an erased timeline's cast, thus creating Lord English from a glitch? Yeah, I have no clue.

Also, priceless timepieces destroyed: 101 (again). Seems fairly clear that this is how Caliborn obtained some of his immortality - he broke the thing that decides if his death would be just or heroic with the juju-breaking juju.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52486 on: April 13, 2016, 11:52:34 pm »

After rewatching Act 7 again, I have one complaint:

I feel like it ends like five seconds too soon. Like, John opening the door and Dave charging out with Caledscratch while LE makes a horrified 8-ball face would have felt quite a bit more satisfying.

Spoiler:  re: Vriska (click to show/hide)
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52487 on: April 14, 2016, 12:10:40 am »

._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #52488 on: April 14, 2016, 12:13:03 am »

the map isn't update either, it's meaningless

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #52489 on: April 14, 2016, 04:40:24 am »

Spoiler:  re: Vriska (click to show/hide)
The problem with Vriska is that it's not about her actions in the story that messed things up. Because she was afforded plot protections reserved to the central protagonist or antagonist despite not being that character because Hussie liked fucking around, any time the plot dealt with the trolls, the story had to warp around the fact that a character isn't dying when they should be, which is particularly problematic when part of the plot is most of the cast on the meteor dying. Hussie's obsession with memeing on his audience with a character who never faces consequences for her actions eventually came back to bite him in the ass, but at that point he was ass deep in memepuppets and couldn't just kill her off.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #52490 on: April 14, 2016, 05:09:19 am »

Aradia escaped certain death one or two times more than Vriska. You can't measure her importance with how much the universe warped to keep her alive. The problem to me was how much agency she did take from all other characters. The trolls' whole group dynamic consisted of containing Vriska. John had little choice but submit to her future-seeing advice. Even the main bad guy at the time was her doing. All of Act 5 was Vriska shadowboxing.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52491 on: April 14, 2016, 05:34:24 am »

Personally, homestuck's ending was okay. But there are severe problems.

1. The post collide stretch was marked with a lack of dialogue. This ended up with shit...
2. ...being implied, instead of being statec outright.

Compare Undertale:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only thing people have against this is that, that character remains in the caves by virtue of his actions and believe him to be unworthy of suffering that fate.

In homestuck's case, the leadup is basically humans standing on the final floor, the rings being dropped into the forge and quite possibly causing BS to wake up and fertilize Skaia, to grant them their final wish and restore the world that they had. In the meantime, Lord English is killed offscreen via an applied dose of cueball into his eightball face into the black hole.

We are not exactly told about the powers of the weapon (deus ex machina), except that it can undo Lord English, and for some reason, it grants John his power to retcon shit. Was the weapon active all along and LE's death at that point being guaranteed?

The other factor is Old!Calliope. Her existence also smells of deus ex machina, by virtue of her presence not entirely being explained. How did Calliope gain powers par Lord English, when, i'm sure I forgot, but she wasn't prototyped with a guardian, sprite, another player, an insidious calculating pair of glasses and a guaranteed immortality from everything? How is she able to create a black hole out of nowhere that is equally powerful to that of the green sun, when she isn't basically Lord English? Jade, being prototyped with a guardian, doesn't lose her powers and manages to resize the world back to normal, when the green sun is a constant in all universes?

There's a lot of information that could have been explained had calliope not been obscure as fuck and the story adapting a normal dialoguelog approach on act 7.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #52492 on: April 14, 2016, 05:43:51 am »

http://imgur.com/a/9ucF7

That right there distills every major issue I've had with Homestuck for a long, long time. Hussie should have run this past an editor first. Good story, poor execution - at least for the last couple years.
I disagree on a basic level. "Rules" of storytelling are useful tools. Nothing more.
The claim that Homestuck is a "heroic story" is disputable. Personally I'm sick of Tension arcs.
Did the critic really demand a "happy ending" under point 2? Pft.
There can be a lot of satisfaction in a plan surviving contact with the enemy. Unexpected factors showed up and the characters dealt with them.
I want to agree on the prota- vs antagonist thing but only because it would've been absolutely insanely awesome to have everybody in the same skirmish. BUT not all problems are solved by applying a warhammer to them. English is an opposing force to the other players. They work on removing him.
The pre-fight pacing was alright. People talking while the gathering storm hangs above their head. Every character getting a few words in. Homestuck as a  whole is horridly paced.

Still agree on the Vriska thing. Game Over really was a waste and nothing Davepeta says can fix that. And being left without closure for any surviving characters sucks. And Homestuck as a whole is a lumbering frankensteinian giant with horrid pacing. And what the hell was up with that trickster mode.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #52493 on: April 14, 2016, 06:49:28 am »

Trapzohedron: you forget there are still powers that come with classpects. Jane's flight and planet shrinking are from being witch of space, and Callie's black hole powers come from being muse of space.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52494 on: April 14, 2016, 06:51:48 am »

*Jade not Jane
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #52495 on: April 14, 2016, 07:14:04 am »

Are Jade's powers because of her aspect? We've seen first guardians do shrinking, so I assumed that's where she got that from (especially since things tend to glow bright green while she's shrinking/growing them). I also thought her ability to fly was sprite powers.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52496 on: April 14, 2016, 07:32:04 am »

I also thought her ability to fly was sprite powers.

Flight is from God Tier, as that represents the merging of the waking and dream (who can fly) selves. See Vriska/Aradia/John/etc.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52497 on: April 14, 2016, 08:15:17 am »

Bear in mind that "Witch of Space" is a really powerful class anyway.

Plus, pretty sure the whole "Shrink down meteors and planets thing" was Witch of Space powers, because Bec didn't do that to save Jade, he fired a laser the size of africa at the incoming meteor
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #52498 on: April 14, 2016, 08:24:02 am »

Well obviously first guardians can do that too, but his powers aren't limited to laser beams or he couldn't have gotten himself and Jade to be the proper size to ride on this bullet:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:25:48 am by penguinofhonor »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52499 on: April 14, 2016, 08:28:40 am »

Crap, I forgot about that
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 3498 3499 [3500] 3501 3502 ... 3524