Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 3497 3498 [3499] 3500 3501 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5140872 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Homestuck
« Reply #52470 on: April 13, 2016, 09:12:08 pm »

Yeah I think the main upside of this ending is anyone with super elaborate theories about classpects is wrong

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52471 on: April 13, 2016, 09:23:18 pm »

http://imgur.com/a/9ucF7

That right there distills every major issue I've had with Homestuck for a long, long time. Hussie should have run this past an editor first. Good story, poor execution - at least for the last couple years.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #52473 on: April 13, 2016, 09:45:19 pm »

well that and look what we see right after the pocketing black hole

(the only person who that can be the first person view of is LE)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52474 on: April 13, 2016, 09:48:41 pm »

http://yrrzy.tumblr.com/post/142736000075/if-people-are-still-confused-what-happened-with-le
Makes sense.

I was initially confused but after reading the explanations of the 8-ball eyes I'm comfortable with the ending. The only gap I had was how they actually killed him.

Presumably knocked into the black hole with Caledfwlch, because it was made from a cue ball. Could have been more explicit, though.

It's even on this page...
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52475 on: April 13, 2016, 09:54:44 pm »

The images make it a lot clearer IMO.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52476 on: April 13, 2016, 09:56:21 pm »

http://imgur.com/a/9ucF7

That right there distills every major issue I've had with Homestuck for a long, long time. Hussie should have run this past an editor first. Good story, poor execution - at least for the last couple years.

Hmm. Yeah, I think this sums up many of my feelings too. I had a pretty positive experience over all, but this is the cause of the sort of disappointment I'm experiencing now, and experienced at different points.

I don't think authors -have- to stick to narrative expectations, and there's nothing absolute about accepted rules of narrative. But it was still constructed with so many of those techniques, that I was expecting it to conform to that structure. When it didn't, it felt misleading and incomplete.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #52477 on: April 13, 2016, 10:05:06 pm »

I agree with all of those complaints except for #4, the protagonist never facing off against the antagonist. That's not a necessary thing, so long as they act against each other on a grand scale. There are fantastic pieces of media where the protagonist and the antagonist don't even know the other exists.

The biggest complaint I have with Homestuck in retrospect, which that gallery helped me put into words, is fucking Vriska. No matter whether or not you like her, she fucked up the story in a bad way from a storytelling perspective. Now that it's over and there's no more ironic "no man she's great we should see more of her she's the best hamplanet" to be had, she ruined everything. Hussie deciding to give her all of the traits of the central protagonist from a storytelling perspective without giving her that role in the actual story broke a lot of the plot in half because you have a character with perfect plot armor who needs to be victimized in some way and can't be which means that he now has to write his way in a giant loop-de-loop any time Vriska was a consideration in the plot.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:07:16 pm by frostshotgg »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52478 on: April 13, 2016, 10:19:18 pm »

I think the fact that we've had to wait months for this ending raised our expectations to somewhere Hussie didn't expect them to be. The climax of the story basically happened about a year ago and this month's updates was just wrapping it up.

I don't think Vriska is really the protagonist or anything, she just really wanted to do something relevant and managed to in the end

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #52479 on: April 13, 2016, 10:30:04 pm »

Most problems people have with any kind of media, especially endings to stories, are due to reality not meeting their expectations. That doesn't mean that what they got was worse than what they expected, just different. They made an assumption about the type of story being told, and it turns out they were wrong. Then they interpret that disappointment as "the author fucked up".

That said, I agree that the structure of Homestuck is extremely messed up. Each part of the story is entertaining in its own way, but when you consider it as a whole you're left thinking "What the hell just happened?"
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52480 on: April 13, 2016, 11:11:22 pm »

The structure of Homestuck is messed up enough that I'm pretty sure there are parts of it that I've never read and wasn't worse off in the end because of that. Mostly I did that where the length of pesterlogs have reached absurdness, or the content of the logs has become too shitty/weird to comprehend. Also, I skipped some huge portions of Act 6. And only read Act 5 in patches.

I still don't quite know how exactly they all connect with each other, but frankly, given how Homestuck works, I don't really need to know that. The ending still works very well without any kind of "deep" knowledge that can only be extracted after viewing every update at least three times and constructing insane all-explanatory theories, or any BKEW-style bullshit like that.
._.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52481 on: April 13, 2016, 11:20:13 pm »

Well that definitely happened. Expected a bit more combat, but I guess Collide kinda filled the quota. I legitimately teared up when I saw Can Town being built on Earth. Mayor best character.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52482 on: April 13, 2016, 11:26:00 pm »

Oh, actually, I think there's one totally unexplained thing (also known as, the "plot hole") remaining, Putnam.

The Homestuck 2 disks + cartridge. What the hell was the deal with them?
._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #52483 on: April 13, 2016, 11:30:27 pm »

Narrative contrivance? Wouldn't be the first and certainly wasn't the last.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52484 on: April 13, 2016, 11:39:11 pm »

Narrative contrivance? Wouldn't be the first and certainly wasn't the last.
You'd think something which made real global physical changes in the story (judging by characters actually seeing the glitches resulting from Caliborn clogging up the cartridge) would have more of a real explanation, eh? But well, this is Hussie, yes, weird unexplained plot shit seems right his alley. It's just weird that most other shit is explained, while this one is just... there. As well as the self-insert character. Who's plot-relevant enough to have Calliope's wand and the Ring of Life, but apparently not enough to actually explain what the heck is the deal with it.

It would be extremely silly if the whole plot of Homestuck hinged on a random bunch of stuff that randomly happened together in a certain way because "lol it was funny and it was needed for da plot to move forward".
._.
Pages: 1 ... 3497 3498 [3499] 3500 3501 ... 3524