Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 3435 3436 [3437] 3438 3439 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5141898 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Homestuck
« Reply #51540 on: May 14, 2015, 09:31:49 pm »

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:07:33 pm by penguinofhonor »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51541 on: May 14, 2015, 09:47:40 pm »

Why waste time? Tavros hasn't done anything useful yet, why break tradition?

The Strider comment cracked me up, though. I was getting tired of that other shoe not dropping.

So, whatever Kanaya was supposed to have done must have been pretty important. Jade's was "remove all of your planets and skaia from this universe," so odds are good that this Echidna will ask something about as impressive. Or just tell her to help Roxy poof up a new orb. One of those two.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #51542 on: May 14, 2015, 11:26:05 pm »

Y'know, I'm still not entirely clear on how much we can rely on Caliborn's Masterpiece for predicting things. It kind of looked like retcon powers zapped the humans in, but all we have to go on is a blue glow, and that doesn't clear up how LE came into being when those weren't an issue (which is actually a thing that needs answering, unlike time loops, because the narrative is essentially linear). More importantly, we don't have any of the guarantees about inevitability that go with time travel; retcons can work however they damn well please.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #51543 on: May 14, 2015, 11:29:09 pm »

Arg. Now I have to wait another week, and we STILL haven't seen what Tavsprite and Rosesprite are gonna be prototyped with.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #51544 on: May 14, 2015, 11:31:33 pm »

Arg. Now I have to wait another week, and we STILL haven't seen what Tavsprite and Rosesprite are gonna be prototyped with.
One another, no doubt.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51545 on: May 14, 2015, 11:39:37 pm »

retcons can work however they damn well please.

I'm not sure this is the case. So far all John's powers have let him do is remove himself and Roxy from a doomed timeline, which is most of what time players do to begin with. It's not THAT much of a stretch from what Paradox Space already does. The characters in-comic believe LE is some kind of P-space sanctioned suicide mechanism... I don't think that's true. It seems more like P-space wants him out after someone else put him in, and I'm pretty sure that someone is Hussie, in universe. I expect something suitably meta-trollish like that to be the real cause of everything at this point, because it's the must pointless and infuriating thing that could happen.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #51546 on: May 15, 2015, 12:59:52 am »

It's true that there are probably rules, but they're poorly elaborated-upon, save that apparently it's definitely not time travel, and everything John does creates retroactive edits to past panels and flashes (with the exception of his feet not appearing in Make Her Pay, apparently?), which time travel definitely does not do. I honestly don't think timelines are relevant to it, except in the broadest sense where a timeline identical to what was the Alpha timeline is a doomed timeline, but that would seem to be a consequence of the fact that anything that could happen in the Alpha timeline is, by definition, a thing that could happen, and so would be contained within the set of all possible timelines anyway. It doesn't seem to be as though the retcon reaches into the timelines and swaps labels around so that one is doomed and one not.

Though that is, of course, just my interpretation.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51547 on: May 15, 2015, 01:29:57 am »

My only real sticking point with it is that punk!vriska still exists and wasn't completely retconned out of existence like she would have been if everything was straighforward. There's gotta be something with Rosesprite, too, but I'm not sure if that's directly related or not.

But hey I'm cool with it, because this probably leads to more Meenah and she's awesome.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #51548 on: May 15, 2015, 01:31:15 am »

So how does Vriska intend to allow Rosesprite to fool around with the window when she just cut the damn cord?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51549 on: May 15, 2015, 01:36:52 am »

So how does Vriska intend to allow Rosesprite to fool around with the window when she just cut the damn cord?
I think they have more windows.
Or Vriska just jumped in with no thought for the consequences like practically every time.
Or both.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51550 on: May 15, 2015, 05:08:08 am »

everything John does creates retroactive edits to past panels and flashes
Not everything. Remember when he tackled himself in a sorta-stable-time-loop way?

EDIT: This is another reason why Vriska's plan is going to fail.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 05:52:43 pm by Sergarr »
._.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51551 on: May 17, 2015, 02:37:12 pm »

EDIT: This is another reason why Vriska's plan is going to fail.
That's a very good one, I wonder how Lord Jack is going to respond(seeing as he is kind of LE)?
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51552 on: May 17, 2015, 06:32:15 pm »

After reading a few peoples' tracts on Vriska's capacity for actual strategy, (or lack thereof) I have a silly and batshit insane prediction:

When the comic comes back, we get several more pages of character bonding and interaction, until the conflict happens, and everyone follows Vriska's plan resulting in GAME OVER 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO. Then John has to go back in time and ensure Vriska dies again, returning the timeline to its previous state except that now there's a live Vriska out in ghostspace somewhere who can just pop in out of seemingly nowhere and one-shot the Condesce with 'aaaaaaaall the luck' without having had any influence on the timeline in the meantime, (Sort of like how John is replacing a deceased John in the current timeline) and thus preventing GAME OVER 1: THE BLOODENING.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #51553 on: May 17, 2015, 06:42:40 pm »

And that would take the comic another 1000 pages, but it'd be hilariously fitting.

Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51554 on: May 17, 2015, 06:45:07 pm »

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. we're getting close enough to the end that the options are either success or complete bullshit. I think the... what 3 or 4? doomed timelines are enough to prove the point. It's a trick that's been played, time for new ones.
Pages: 1 ... 3435 3436 [3437] 3438 3439 ... 3524