Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 3419 3420 [3421] 3422 3423 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5142029 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Homestuck
« Reply #51300 on: May 01, 2015, 11:05:52 am »

This whole "quadrant" meta-commentary by Hussie is getting a bit overdone, I think.
Judging by the amount of people talking about "human now can have black romance feelings?" on social networks, it was not overdone. People were believing that "black romance" was something biologically limited to trolls and that humans were biologically unable to do that.
._.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51301 on: May 01, 2015, 11:15:42 am »

I think that's what makes it funny. It's so utterly mundane.

By overdone I mean completely over-exposed. I think it was taken to that extreme just because trolls revere it the same mythical way fandoms go overboard with shipping, like there's no way to view characters AT ALL apart from who needs to be paired up. Nepeta was kind of a joke character poking fun at that fact, but people keep going on and on making such a huge deal over it regardless, even after such a direct statement from Dave.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51302 on: May 01, 2015, 11:18:10 am »

I don't think you're supposed to have both a love lover and a hate lover simultaneously on earth though...

Troll Polygamy, it's not a closed shape.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #51303 on: May 01, 2015, 11:27:22 am »

I don't think you're supposed to have both a love lover and a hate lover simultaneously on earth though...

Troll Polygamy, it's not a closed shape.
what if one person is both from day to day

some lovely vacillation i see there
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51304 on: May 01, 2015, 01:13:06 pm »

I was under the impression that this bit of Troll Romance stuff was just a way of drawing a parallel to human sexuality/relationships. Dave is actually talking about how it's weird that we gender our relationships, John was not getting that, and all the stuff about "humans can Blackrom?!" was an allegory for Daves point; that all people can feel love and even attraction to all people regardless of gender, but cultural biases and training have gotten those feelings repressed and confused.

The whole bit was speaking to Homestucks root as a coming-of-age story in the internet age. One doesn't turn gay, and one doesn't turn caliginous. They're just part of the potential of any person's relationships or emotional lives. John represents the cultural views expressed in much of the world regarding Homosexuality as an uncomfortable and non-standard but Okay way of being. Dave represents the growing minority that say gender and sexual preference are cultural constructs, not Human Nature.

But maybe that's just me?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:15:06 pm by Solifuge »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51305 on: May 01, 2015, 01:29:57 pm »

Well, humans have something of an innate need to gender our relationships just because only one pairing actually propagates the species. We're moving beyond that, by degrees, as a civilization. But there's still the crushing weight of formality that's been ingrained in us to view things a certain way and label that as "normal".

The contrast here is that troll society also has a biological imperative enforced on them by the breeding drones, but they still have the same types of ingrained imperatives in seeking that "one true relationship" in each type and classifying that relationship as some kind of ideal. It's just as much overthought melodrama and posturing that stresses people out and causes unhealthy tension.

The unhealthier bits are pretty much the core of Vriska's, Equius', and Eridan's character profiles. Eridan couldn't cope with social pressure, so he built the hypocritical self-superior facade as a defense mechanism until it failed and he emotionally snapped. Equius is so ingrained in the system that he emotionally suppressed or even fetishized his true feelings (apart from his weird blather he genuinely cared for Aradia and Tavros, helping them with robot parts). Vriska spent most of her life in two emotionally abusive relationships - spidermom and the Marquise's journal. Trying to fulfil those obligations, real from spidermom and culturally imposed by the journal, caused her to make horrible life choices and generally be the huge bitch that had to be stabbed to death. Looking at her choices objectively was the only way she was able to move on and accomplish things without much direct force, even if the self-aggrandizement is still there. It's why pirate!Vriska calmed down from watching Aranea's idiocy, and the current alpha is still alive thanks to an Egbert facepunch.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #51306 on: May 01, 2015, 03:06:22 pm »

I'm going to tell you to stop, and gently remind you that you're justifying Vriska. I'd advise you to reevaluate your position.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #51307 on: May 01, 2015, 04:46:37 pm »

You, uh, you got somethin' against Vriska? u havin' a giggle m8?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51308 on: May 01, 2015, 04:50:33 pm »

Vriska is life
._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #51309 on: May 01, 2015, 04:54:42 pm »

I'm going to tell you to stop, and gently remind you that you're justifying Vriska. I'd advise you to reevaluate your position.
no

she got character development and shit

she went from bombastic and overbearing and evil to just bombastic and overbearing i mean you can't ignore that

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #51310 on: May 01, 2015, 04:55:46 pm »

That was a lot... awkward? I mean, Dave makes very good points there and all, but I felt a bit like Karkat felt for most of this. I'm glad those fictional people have a handle on and can talk about their feelings instead of having them eat them from inside like other fictional people (alpha kids, various trolls) until they burst in a shower of drama. There are various times for firing a speech like that at your friend; when you're sitting down with a lot of beer but aren't drunk yet, or while you take a long walk through a forest, or when you're really bored. You don't greet them with that after years of separation, that's just too much. Dave even acknowledges as much, but it didn't keep him from going on and on.
(And no, I'm not trying to make a masked homophobe statement here or whatever; the John/Terezi part was the awkwardest of it all)

Still, that assisted fistbump warms my general heart area.

Vriska is perfect-
ly spherical.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #51311 on: May 01, 2015, 04:57:38 pm »

Vriska is perfect-
ly spherical.
Nonsense! At that size, angular momentum tends to cause a bit of a bulge around the equator. She'd be more of an oblate spheroid.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51312 on: May 01, 2015, 05:01:51 pm »

Honestly, I'm kinda taking John's side of the blackrom argument here.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51313 on: May 01, 2015, 05:12:51 pm »

I'm going to go for broke, then.

Tavros is the most worthless troll, Nepeta is absurdly overrated, Dirk and Jake are idiots, Calliope is manipulative and pretty annoying.

Mwahahahahahah!

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #51314 on: May 01, 2015, 05:24:47 pm »

Vriska is perfect-
ly spherical.
Nonsense! At that size, angular momentum tends to cause a bit of a bulge around the equator. She'd be more of an oblate spheroid.
You're quite correct! She also needs an opening --or some sort of permeable membran-- to annex and devour.

Mwahahahahahah!
You sure put those unpopular opinions on the table. Where we can see them.
The main problem with Calliope isn't that she's manipulative (she's very secondary in that regard to all those other manipulators in the comic) but that she's kinda boring and one-dimensional after the adorableness wears off. She's good in pretty lame ways. Her brother's evil in bizarre and persistent ways. I have to root for him, at least a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 3419 3420 [3421] 3422 3423 ... 3524