Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 3383 3384 [3385] 3386 3387 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5143058 times)

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Homestuck
« Reply #50760 on: January 09, 2015, 06:50:05 am »

The Furthest Ring is part of the story, therefore it's subject to retcons.

This.

To be even more explicit, we've seen John's retcon-hand appear in dream bubbles, the asteroid mid-flight between sessions, and similar events in the furthest ring.  It clearly works on a higher meta-level of causality.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50761 on: January 09, 2015, 07:15:39 am »

But how does it work with causality?

Like, remember the part where John retcons the oil away from his planed across the whole story?

All these oil patches are completely acausal. They appear in 1 panel and then disappear.

Current retcons, however, seems to be of a different variety, the one that changes the time line.
But does it actually change the main time line, deleting the old, or is it different?

See, the current retcons aren't really "retcons", since the content of the old pages is not actually changed. So maybe the current manipulations just create a sort-of-new-alpha time-line?

Remember than time before, where John tackled John - a stable retcon loop? This would not have happen if retcons always worked as retcons, like with John's hand.

I just know there's something different. Like there are multiple ways the retcon power can affect the story.

And this is why the Furthest ring can possibly be not affected by the current manipulations.
._.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50762 on: January 09, 2015, 08:52:39 am »

swiggityswaifumeenah'sstealingyourwaifu
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #50763 on: January 09, 2015, 09:59:55 am »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:05:01 am by penguinofhonor »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50764 on: January 09, 2015, 12:00:38 pm »

is it too much to ask, that my fave OC not fall in gay love, roll down horse mountain, and friend zone me behind a sadness rock.

:(

EDIT: Huh, someone else got that. Never mind then. Poor Andrew getting randozoned.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 12:03:45 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #50765 on: January 09, 2015, 02:31:48 pm »

It could be that the old alpha was shifted to 'doomed' and the retcon makes the results of whatever is shifted into the new alpha.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50766 on: January 09, 2015, 02:44:55 pm »

Alpha is now even more irrelevant than it was before.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #50767 on: January 09, 2015, 03:39:43 pm »

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:03:12 am by penguinofhonor »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50768 on: January 09, 2015, 04:01:53 pm »

Except we saw three very different types of effects caused by retcon powers:

1) the retcon-retcon - the arm and the oil - acausal - inserted throughout the comic.
2) the loop-retcon - the moment where John tackles himself - causal - stable time loops.
3) the password-retcon - current events - homes into Terezi thought signal - causal - unstable time loops - stabilized by retcon.

The differences between each version are significant enough to say that they're different manifestations of the same power, and thus may have very different effects upon the story structure.
._.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #50769 on: January 09, 2015, 04:16:19 pm »

It's simpler than that - there are no time loops here. John can edit the story.

EDIT: I've inserted this edit line to separate what I'm pretty sure is canonical fact from my ideas on how it probable works, which follow.

Whether his changes make any sense is dependent entirely on whether or not he follows through. The major arbitrary difference between manifestations is whether or not the old version gets archived, as it has been with the password screens.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50770 on: January 09, 2015, 04:17:25 pm »

What you're referring to as different retcon powers are just different reactions based on where and when John used the weapon. The modus operandi has not changed significantly.

The important thing is that John is now seeking to change the timeline- With Terezi's help. And it's pretty clear that at least one of Terezi's goals is to un-kill Vriska.

It's simpler than that - there are no time loops here. John can edit the story. Whether his changes make any sense is dependent entirely on whether or not he follows through. The major arbitrary difference between manifestations is whether or not the old version gets archived, as it has been with the password screens.

The reason for that is that if Hussie didn't archive the 'first' result, Homestuck would suddenly become more of an unreadable mess.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #50771 on: January 09, 2015, 06:17:13 pm »

The important thing is that John is now seeking to change the timeline- With Terezi's help. And it's pretty clear that at least one of Terezi's goals is to un-kill Vriska.
I wonder if this will cause alpha Vriska's ghost to vanish, thus erasing her romance with Meenah.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50772 on: January 09, 2015, 06:22:09 pm »

I wonder if this will cause alpha Vriska's ghost to vanish, thus erasing her romance with Meenah.
Obviously this is not going to happen, since otherwise the tumblr would throw a fit.
._.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50773 on: January 09, 2015, 06:23:27 pm »

Does seem to be headed that direction. Can't really think of any other reason we'd be having POV from those kids.

EDIT:

Obviously this is not going to happen, since otherwise the tumblr would throw a fit.

Since when does Hussie care about that?
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50774 on: January 09, 2015, 06:30:28 pm »

Knowing the way Hussie rolls, FTFY.
Pages: 1 ... 3383 3384 [3385] 3386 3387 ... 3524