Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 3337 3338 [3339] 3340 3341 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5141726 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Homestuck
« Reply #50070 on: November 05, 2014, 09:40:25 pm »

Luck is actually completely useless in the Homestuck universe because nearly everything is predestined[Barring what Aranea did, that is].

I don't think that's how it works.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50071 on: November 05, 2014, 09:45:25 pm »

Luck is actually completely useless in the Homestuck universe because nearly everything is predestined[Barring what Aranea did, that is].

I don't think that's how it works.

The Alpha timeline is constant[Except when an extremely powerful Light player{IE:Aranea}, fiddles with it]. If the Alpha timeline required someone with no special powers to roll eight eights on those dice, they would, regardless of the actual probability of that hapening. Although there might also be a ridiculous amount of doomed timelines stemming from all the timelines when the roll was NOT the roll required. That's why Doc Scratch is so good at manipulating people. Because, if they disregard him or see through his deceptions, they're not part of the Alpha timeline and end up dying in a doomed one.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #50072 on: November 05, 2014, 09:51:16 pm »

...No, I think that, in that particular timeline, if Vriska hadn't had allllllll the luck, she wouldn't have rolled that. The alpha timeline wouldn't build itself around 8 8s being rolled, it would build itself off of some other result. Until the actual "decision process" behind the alpha is sorted out or explained, none of this is really relevant and none of us can be confident as to how it actually works (thus "I don't think that's" instead of outright saying "that's not"), but I always figured it was more that the alpha timeline built itself around some sort of weird bayesian "what would this person most likely do" thing, thus why particularly powerful manipulators such as Caliborn have the entire timeline seemingly built around them.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #50073 on: November 05, 2014, 09:56:29 pm »

Speaking of, I don't remember Vriska doing any actual fighting except against the Black King.  Several of the other trolls were shown fighting imps, but not her.  Were her combat style (the dice) difficult to depict?  Or did she find an exploit to gain the levels?  Hell, for all we know, she was lying about having gained all the levels before reaching god tier.  We don't know if gaining all the levels is even a requirement, particularly since the Alpha kids were able to ascend (they may have reached max-level offscreen, but it would have been difficult in their situation).

Here you go.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50074 on: November 05, 2014, 10:54:28 pm »

The Alpha timeline is an interesting and an infuriating concept precisely because there's zero way to tell if the given action will doom you or not.
._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #50075 on: November 05, 2014, 11:07:31 pm »

Speaking of, I don't remember Vriska doing any actual fighting except against the Black King.  Several of the other trolls were shown fighting imps, but not her.  Were her combat style (the dice) difficult to depict?  Or did she find an exploit to gain the levels?  Hell, for all we know, she was lying about having gained all the levels before reaching god tier.  We don't know if gaining all the levels is even a requirement, particularly since the Alpha kids were able to ascend (they may have reached max-level offscreen, but it would have been difficult in their situation).

Here you go.

Also, Past Karkat: Wake Up, which depicts Vriska explicitly using her luck stealing powers and misfortune immediately befalling the one whose luck was stolen. (Play as Vriska, transportalize a couple times, go through Vriska's room)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50076 on: November 05, 2014, 11:55:29 pm »

...No, I think that, in that particular timeline, if Vriska hadn't had allllllll the luck, she wouldn't have rolled that. The alpha timeline wouldn't build itself around 8 8s being rolled, it would build itself off of some other result. Until the actual "decision process" behind the alpha is sorted out or explained, none of this is really relevant and none of us can be confident as to how it actually works (thus "I don't think that's" instead of outright saying "that's not"), but I always figured it was more that the alpha timeline built itself around some sort of weird bayesian "what would this person most likely do" thing, thus why particularly powerful manipulators such as Caliborn have the entire timeline seemingly built around them.

Yeah, makes sense. I recall either Terezi or Aranea saying something about there only being a few doomed timelines[With the exception of the trolls session, presumably because they're ALL loose cannons bouncing off of each other], because YOU would only make a few of the choices that differ from the alpha timeline. Thus why, during the part where Vriska died, there were only two possible timelines. Because Terezi wouldn't have made any other choice.

* Arcvasti retracts his earlier points and fails to stuff them in his marsupial pouch[Because its already full]
Spooky Signature

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #50077 on: November 06, 2014, 04:48:45 pm »

jesus CHRIST

i was just updated fortbent

and I realized the most obvious freaking thing

Vriska is the thief of light

she took Terezi's ability to see light

YEESH

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50078 on: November 06, 2014, 05:26:57 pm »

And she took Tavros' memories[Knowledge] while they were briefly Tavrisprite, IIRC.
Spooky Signature

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50079 on: November 06, 2014, 05:34:38 pm »

@timeline shenanigans
If a coin toss can create alternate timelines (Dave and Dave on his quest bed) then I don't see why a dice roll couldn't. The Fluorite Octet would probably be MORE random, actually, because there's so many more factors out of the user's control. As well as having more possible results.

Vriska is the thief of light

she took Terezi's ability to see light
well fuck
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50080 on: November 06, 2014, 06:30:48 pm »

@timeline shenanigans
If a coin toss can create alternate timelines (Dave and Dave on his quest bed) then I don't see why a dice roll couldn't. The Fluorite Octet would probably be MORE random, actually, because there's so many more factors out of the user's control. As well as having more possible results.
Actually, looking back over the relevant pages, it seems it was Dave's choice that bifurcated the timeline, not the coin toss. Terezi explains why it bifurcated here and in the following pages.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50081 on: November 06, 2014, 06:45:03 pm »

@timeline shenanigans
Actually, looking back over the relevant pages, it seems it was Dave's choice that bifurcated the timeline, not the coin toss. Terezi explains why it bifurcated here and in the following pages.
Yes I know that. The decision was important because it created a dividing event. The dice themselves though create very different results based on the outcomes.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #50082 on: November 06, 2014, 06:47:49 pm »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50083 on: November 06, 2014, 06:57:28 pm »

And then a bit later...
Yes, that is a message that has been hammered in repeatedly. It's about decisions rather than probabilities.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #50084 on: November 06, 2014, 09:19:33 pm »

Man, I just only realized that Dirk had been zooming from the outer ring back to the session.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 3337 3338 [3339] 3340 3341 ... 3524