Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 3306 3307 [3308] 3309 3310 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5120621 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Homestuck
« Reply #49605 on: July 21, 2014, 01:08:09 pm »

Also, Kanaya.

And Sollux.
Could have sworn I spelled those right, but my notes are of course scratchy and smudgy - I did design most of those while camping without internet to check, or even a computer. I should still be ashamed about "Kayana", though.

Only three cards that are present right now were designed after I got back: Jane, Kanaya, and Feferi. I still have 11 pre-scratch trolls to make, and AH, but 23/34 isn't a bad start, eh?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49606 on: July 24, 2014, 03:29:30 am »

That Gamzee card also needs to be indestructible, to deal with the growing number of 'destroy planeswalker/permanent" effects flying around. Or maybe just reworded so that if it goes to the graveyard from play it gets returned to your hand instead or something.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49607 on: July 24, 2014, 10:27:11 am »

That Gamzee card also needs to be indestructible, to deal with the growing number of 'destroy planeswalker/permanent" effects flying around. Or maybe just reworded so that if it goes to the graveyard from play it gets returned to your hand instead or something.
Hmm, I thought his passive ability would cover that.
I do like your second idea, though, so while I'd replace the "IF" ability with it, I think I'll take it.
The Cyan Menace

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #49608 on: July 24, 2014, 11:15:30 am »

I do like your second idea, though, so while I'd replace the "IF" ability with it, I think I'll take it.
Ah, well, Planeswalkers interact weirdly with indestructible. Indestructible protects them from effects that say "Destroy target planeswalker" or whatever (see Dreadbore or In Garruk's Wake). However, running out of loyalty counters causes them to be put into the graveyard as a state-based action, which doesn't count as being destroyed, so they're still vulnerable to that. Speaking of which, the wording needs to be, "If the last loyalty counter on Gamzee Makara would be removed, instead do not remove that counter" or something like that, since that ability doesn't have time to resolve before he gets put in your graveyard if the last counter is ever actually removed. In a similar vein, his +1 ability needs to read "Gamzee Makara deals 1 damage to target creature. If you lost life this turn, Gamzee Makara deals 5 damage to that creature instead."

Planeswalkers are surprisingly hard to do weird stuff with.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49609 on: July 24, 2014, 05:42:25 pm »

Ah, well, Planeswalkers interact weirdly with indestructible. Indestructible protects them from effects that say "Destroy target planeswalker" or whatever (see Dreadbore or In Garruk's Wake). However, running out of loyalty counters causes them to be put into the graveyard as a state-based action, which doesn't count as being destroyed, so they're still vulnerable to that.

Exactly. Indestructible won't protect him from the loyalty loss state-based stuff, and the "if he would have no counters, give him a counter" wording won't work against 'destroy' effects, since being Garruk-ganked just flat out puts them in the graveyard, at which point the counter-gain would fizzle. The two together (with the rewording you suggest to get around the timing) would cover each other's weaknesses.

(But yeah, I like the 'return to hand from graveyard' wording a little better. Then who knows when he'll show up trying to sell your opponent some ghetto potions be cast again.)
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49610 on: July 25, 2014, 11:49:20 am »

And done the trolls! True spoilers unredacted!
That should be every character except the game constructs (Jack, exiles, kings, queens, consorts).

Spoiler: Humans (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Trolls (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: TRUE SPOILERS (click to show/hide)

Color Breakdown:

White:
12 include, 3 of which are just white.
Blue:
12 include, 4 of which are just blue.
Black:
12 include, 7 of which are just black.
Red:
11 include, 2 of which are just red.
Green:
5 include, 2 of which are just green.

If anyone thinks I made a character the wrong color(s), let me know. If any card seems totally unbalanced, let me know. If any card does not work as intended, let me know. :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:37:50 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49611 on: July 25, 2014, 12:02:18 pm »

Architect

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49612 on: July 25, 2014, 12:04:59 pm »

Thanks for the reminder to spellcheck, I had made two other mistakes as well it seems.  :P
The Cyan Menace

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49613 on: July 25, 2014, 06:58:04 pm »

Some other notes on the cards:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49614 on: July 25, 2014, 07:37:48 pm »

In Response to that list of notes:

Instant response to "petty" fixes, all made. Even the Dirk one, that really is a lot cleaner.
Caliborn killing his own player is indeed a feature.
Karkat's Mind Twist cost has been increased from 4 to 7.
"You may.." added to Karkat's first ability, so you don't have to target opponents if you have none.
"..you control.." added to Feferi's first ability. Ability fizzles if you have no creatures now.
Rufioh's ability reworded similarly.
Meulin NOT changed, due to the fact that it already matches Feferi's ability as far as bonuses.
Feferi's ability now reads "Protection from Black and Protection from Red" rather than "Protection from Black and Red", to avoid confusion.
Eridan produces two white mana now.
Equius's butler token ability replaced with artifact destruction ability. Work's on "either power or converted mana cost, whichever is higher", so his own tokens work, as do non-creature artifacts. I like that a LOT better than two separate token abilities.
I feel that mind control does not fit Tavros better than Fiduspawn, because while he never used them in the session that we saw, I'm pretty sure he played with them, and isn't he the one that gets CONTROLLED, rather than does the controlling? However, as much as I flavor-fully want Tavros to be black, I can make him white or white green. CHANGE NOT MADE UNTIL ANOTHER OPINION IS GIVEN.
Whilst -1/-1 counters have not been used for some time, they make sense, and Jade has been changed in the recommended manner.
Vriska's die manipulating ability changed to affect up to four dice per use. Also, reworded in such a fashion to hopefully allow stacking. Less turns required to charge her ability.
The Cyan Menace

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49615 on: July 26, 2014, 08:39:35 pm »

isn't he the one that gets CONTROLLED, rather than does the controlling?

Oh, he does, yes, but his psychic ability is to command animals, whereas Vriska's is to control other trolls. (Including him.) I can't find the page without going on a massive archive binge, but it's mentioned at one point that he spends a lot of time not killing the various session enemies, (who are all prototyped with lusii, and thus vulnerable to his ability) preferring to 'befriend' them all with his power instead. He's basically playing real-life Fiduspawn with almost everything. He's also controlled by Vriska in order for her to use his ability to control Terezi's lusus into controlling Terezi into staring into the sun. And it's his zodiac sign the Condesce (who has spliced herself with multiple bloodlines' psychic powers) displays when controlling GCat and Jade.

If he'd just been a little more proactive about using it effectively, the guy would've been an absolute terror.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49616 on: July 26, 2014, 09:25:46 pm »

...Ah. So he does.
I could maybe change it to "gain control of target creature with power 1 or less until end of turn, that creature gains haste"?
The Cyan Menace

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #49617 on: July 26, 2014, 10:31:00 pm »

I think if you made it something like "take control of target noncreature permanant until the next time this ability is used" for -3 could be interesting.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49618 on: July 27, 2014, 12:54:38 am »

Eh... that feels even less Tavros. He's a Page, not a thief, and that would allow for lands to be stolen. That's a big no-no in all card design books.
The Cyan Menace

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #49619 on: July 27, 2014, 01:56:39 am »

I think it'd do a good job of showing his ability to mind control stuff, but not other players. I meant to put nonland, but it must've gotten deleted because hurr durr phone typing is hard.
Pages: 1 ... 3306 3307 [3308] 3309 3310 ... 3524