Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 2847 2848 [2849] 2850 2851 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5125476 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Hotstuck: [S][A6I3]
« Reply #42720 on: November 17, 2012, 09:32:31 am »

He doesn't know what happens in alternate timelines, though. He wouldn't say that if he wasn't entirely certain, which he wouldn't.

Not really. He did say that he knew almost everything. And seeing as only, like, one or two alternate timelines were actually relevant in the grand scheme of things, what reason do you have to doubt his ability to see alternate timelines?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42721 on: November 17, 2012, 09:34:30 am »

He explicitly stated it around the same time when alt!Vriska had her showdown with Jack.

I've never much enjoyed navigating the vortices of alternative possibility. The path which alone has my absolute mastery is the alpha timeline, a continuum I define as that which boasts exclusive rights both to my birth and to my death, two circumstantially simultaneous events. Any divergence from this path to my knowing will taper into blackness like rotting roots.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 09:37:36 am by Darvi »

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #42722 on: November 17, 2012, 12:07:35 pm »

Except, Scratch lies. Scratch used our faith in his inability to lie to pull the wool over our eyes, as well as the players'.

Now, if Calliope is NOT Lord English, then my current..

IDE/THEORY: Caliborn created Doc Scratch and deliberately modeled him after his sister, as well as took her colors for his theme, as a mocking way of subjugating her very memory. Nobody'll even think of her by those cues anymore. Now all they see is Scratch, the Felt, and thus Caliborn. He's dominated both their body and their soul. Plus, it builds up all this evidence that maybe, just maybe, she was Lord English all along and not him.

But nope. It's him. It's always been Caliborn, and you goofs bought right into his tricks. This would without a doubt go down as one of the shittiest, most inconsequential red herring twists in all of Homestuck. Exactly as he planned.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 12:09:14 pm by CJ1145 »
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42723 on: November 17, 2012, 12:08:57 pm »

What?
Scratch has never lied. Not once.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42724 on: November 17, 2012, 12:14:32 pm »

Excepts, Scratch lies. Scratch used our faith in his inability to lie to pull the wool over our eyes, as well as the players'.
He does twist the truth, but that doesn't make his words any less true. He explicitly said that he has trouble knowing what happens in divergent timelines, presumably because the changes that caused the timelines to split are what he is unable to know. He can deduce them, yes, but that still does mean that he has no immediate way to know.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42725 on: November 17, 2012, 12:16:35 pm »

Totally has to be a roxy_ebubble in Fortbent now.

Was way ahead of you. Already in.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #42726 on: November 17, 2012, 12:34:51 pm »

Excepts, Scratch lies. Scratch used our faith in his inability to lie to pull the wool over our eyes, as well as the players'.
He does twist the truth, but that doesn't make his words any less true. He explicitly said that he has trouble knowing what happens in divergent timelines, presumably because the changes that caused the timelines to split are what he is unable to know. He can deduce them, yes, but that still does mean that he has no immediate way to know.

But the terminology he uses suggests that his knowledge tapers off the further a timeline diverges. He never tells at what precise point he loses clarity. He could very well be making use of the fact that in alternate timelines, he has no insight to what happens after he successfully summon English to use the language he uses.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42727 on: November 17, 2012, 12:39:14 pm »

Fair point.

This still refutes your point, however:
Instances of myself have spawned in countless universes, and my objective is always the same.
I have never once failed to complete this objective, and I never will.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42728 on: November 17, 2012, 12:40:33 pm »

What?

Well, early during the scratch intermission, he sure did imply that "the scratch" was Jack moving to the Troll's universe a lot.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42729 on: November 17, 2012, 12:41:54 pm »

Lies by omission etc. etc. He doesn't technically lie, he just manipulates people into thinking what he wants them to think.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42730 on: November 17, 2012, 12:45:25 pm »

What?

Well, early during the scratch intermission, he sure did imply that "the scratch" was Jack moving to the Troll's universe a lot.
Not really, almost straight away in that we get a pesterlog from Karkat telling John that the scratch would happen with needles. All Doc Scratch said was about there being the same Jack Noir who had existed on either side of the scratch, and that Vriska and Rose fought him, one "before" and one "after".
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42731 on: November 17, 2012, 12:49:46 pm »

Omission? It was outright said that the troll session was "this side of the scratch", which is just barely true if you're a weirdo who takes technical definitions as far as possible OH GOD DAMMIT SCRATCH YOU ASSHOLE

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42732 on: November 17, 2012, 12:52:59 pm »

OH GOD DAMMIT SCRATCH YOU ASSHOLE
And here we have a summary of the second half of A5A2.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42733 on: November 17, 2012, 01:14:12 pm »

I'm guessing that the different instances of Doc Scratch aren't alt-timeline versions, but alt-universe versions (possibly taking different forms, depending on what the cueball gets alchemized with), all of whom are inevitably successful in the alpha timeline.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #42734 on: November 17, 2012, 01:26:06 pm »

Semantics warning: isn't zero countless?
Pages: 1 ... 2847 2848 [2849] 2850 2851 ... 3524