Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 2839 2840 [2841] 2842 2843 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5123467 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Hotstuck: [S][A6I3]
« Reply #42600 on: November 12, 2012, 11:46:54 pm »

Radon's the radioactive one.

It's also the only radioactive element that's a gas at room temperature.

It's also heavier than air. Which means, as a fun fact, that if you have a basement and live in granite country, your background radiation dose is *far* higher than the national average (assuming you don't live in a country bordering Chernobyl).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #42601 on: November 13, 2012, 12:22:56 am »

I doubt the scientists who first decided to call them noble gasses were thinking of dwarven nobles, but it still fits. Laziest bastards on the periodic table. "Hey helium you want to go react with me--" "no fuck you go away I'm just going to float here"

Can i please sig this?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42602 on: November 13, 2012, 12:24:21 am »

Interesting that only LoTaK seems to require masks, unless I am selectively blind.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42603 on: November 13, 2012, 12:26:16 am »

I doubt the scientists who first decided to call them noble gasses were thinking of dwarven nobles, but it still fits. Laziest bastards on the periodic table. "Hey helium you want to go react with me--" "no fuck you go away I'm just going to float here"

Can i please sig this?

yes

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #42604 on: November 13, 2012, 03:13:11 am »

Interesting that only LoTaK seems to require masks, unless I am selectively blind.
The only dangerous quality of Krypton I am aware of is that it can act as a narcoticum.

Wikipedia says that a pressure of more than 3,9 bar is necessary for that though-which definitely isn't the case on LoTaK.

It seems the English wikipedia article is contradicting that though... according to it, a mixture of 50% air and Krytpton is narcotic.

Huh.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42605 on: November 13, 2012, 03:32:47 am »

I wonder if LoCaH makes your voice's pitch higher?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42606 on: November 13, 2012, 03:34:56 am »

The higher voice thing is the result of the sound waves from your throat going from the light helium into heavier air, causing them to bunch up and become a higher frequency. It wouldn't work if the atmosphere you are in was full of helium.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42607 on: November 13, 2012, 03:38:59 am »

Welp.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42608 on: November 13, 2012, 08:20:55 am »

I was saying that I only ust noticed that that was it for act 6.4.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #42609 on: November 13, 2012, 09:36:50 am »

What are the chances that DD has stopped REDMILING FUCKING EVERYTHING because Dad did lambaste, larrup and thrash him soundly?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was saying that I only ust noticed that that was it for act 6.4.
It is time that you welcome our new fish overlord.
Spoiler: "improved" (click to show/hide)

Also, could some chemistry expert shed light on this maybe-narcotical-Krypton thing?

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42610 on: November 13, 2012, 10:57:05 am »

Also, could some chemistry expert shed light on this maybe-narcotical-Krypton thing?

I wouldn't call myself a chemistry expert so much as a former chemistry buff, but I can answer this:

Basically our bodies are built in such a way that we do not detect a lack of oxygen, but rather a surplus of carbon dioxide to determine if there is a need for air.  Nitrogen and krypton do not register with the body at all (there may be other elements that can do this, but I can't remember off the top of my head) and thusly if you have an atmosphere that has significantly high amounts of either, the body will not determine that there is anything wrong and suffocate without any warning signs, because the Kr(N) is taking up space and stopping the oxygen from getting where it needs to be, but does not stop carbon dioxide from leaving. 

Victims often become slightly sluggish as if sleepy beforehand, and in non-lethal doses it acts as a narcotic in close to the same way that strangling a person for a non-lethal amount of time acts as a narcotic.

Here on LoTaK though, I would guess that it's in deadly doses.

(All of that was off of the top of my head just now, so forgive me if there are any errors.)
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42611 on: November 13, 2012, 12:35:56 pm »

Note that in most of the Lands their respective noble gas seems contained- Helium in those balloon-sprinkler things, Xenon in those two giant purple-glowing canyons (Xenon is significantly denser than air, so it should stay there . . . mostly), and Neon in the pyramids (Neon is a bit lighter than air, so it should rise up above the atmosphere if any escapes).  It seems that the Land of Tombs and Krypton is the only land with the gas pervasive in the atmosphere.

Krypton is mainly dangerous because it displaces oxygen, due to being denser than air- the 50% krypton/50% air mixture mentioned in the Wikipedia article only has 10% oxygen, which isn't enough to keep a human alive.  The fact that has anesthetic action is almost irrelevant, since the concentrations needed for serious effects are enough to be dangerous unless more oxygen has been added. 

Interestingly, xenon can and has been used as a surgical general anesthetic, in a mix of around 80% xenon/20% oxygen. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:04:54 pm by Shinziril »
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42612 on: November 13, 2012, 06:08:58 pm »

I asked someone about Krypton and this is what I got out of it.

"Krypton is a non-toxic gas that reduces the amount of oxygen in the air. It has a 7 times greater chance of putting you out cold than normal air. In the conditions 50% Krypton and 50% normal air, 10% would be oxygen and you won’t be able to breathe very well, then shrivel up like a prune and die."

Xenon(Jake's Planet) is also a potent anesthetic. Which might explain the tattoo he has. At high enough(80% to 20% oxygen) is how much you need for it to work like an anesthetic, so most of the other gasses are breathable at much lower amounts of Krypton. That is if they're breathing oxygen at all while in the game.

Some of the other gasses are pretty bad if you're breathing much larger amounts than for Krypton, but Krypton itself is deadly at lower amounts so that's probably why they have gas masks.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42613 on: November 13, 2012, 11:06:46 pm »

UPDAAAATE

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42614 on: November 13, 2012, 11:07:11 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 2839 2840 [2841] 2842 2843 ... 3524