Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 2647 2648 [2649] 2650 2651 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5143400 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Hiatustuck: [S] Dirk: Synchronize.
« Reply #39720 on: July 15, 2012, 10:36:28 am »

Except trolls don't really make friends so much, being the violent recluses they are. The closest we've seen to actual friends under normal circumstances are Viska with Equius, and some of the ancestors too. The ancestors were mostly together because of fighting other people, and Vriska and Equius were both trying to backstab each other.
Is SBURB on the other hand is designed to have the players conform to OUR idea of friendship and acceptance and all that, then it's design is inherently racist to the extreme. Also, if that's the point of the game, how could the squiddle session fail? And why did scratching for the trolls create a MORE violent universe? Surely if that game is won by love and acceptance, why have both instances we've seen of a scratch caused the players to grow up in a more hostile and dangerous environment?

Yes, trolls are dysfunctional to the extreme. That is exactly why they're going to have to kill Lord English. Who are you to say that our idea of friendship is not the cosmically correct one? >:]

It's not clear if scratching the session is even supposed to be beneficial. As shitty twists go, "the devil deal backfires" is pretty predictable. Indeed, it'd be something of a twist if a character made a deal with the devil and it DIDN'T come back to bite him in the ass.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #39721 on: July 15, 2012, 11:11:13 am »

Unrelated ramblings:

I'm beginning to think that, besides being the climax of the story, Cascade marked an interesting turning point in the structure of the whole thing. Prior to it, virtually every time loop existed for the purposes of ultimately screwing the kids over or demonstrating how powerless they were against the inevitability of fate. Since Cascade, though, we've seen what I think is the first example of a villain being constrained by a time loop, despite full knowledge of its existence - the Condesce cannot kill the Alpha kids (as I'm sure she wants to). Until recently, the bunny trans-timeline shenanigans necessitated their continued existence, but now with the Cherubs being introduced, I think we might be coming up on a larger problem for the antagonists. If, as seems heavily implied, uu later becomes Lord English, then any interaction he has with the kids forms another loop. They can't die until they've had every interaction with uu that they're going to, which means that if they defeat Lord English and then have a pointless conversation with uu afterward, they retroactively guarantee that he cannot kill them before they kill him.

Of course, this being Homestuck, we're probably going to go off in some other direction entirely, but still.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #39722 on: July 15, 2012, 04:54:24 pm »

SBURB, although it uses real people(carapaces) as NPCs, always seems so linear and lifeless to me, like a mediocre cRPG, where you start to see the world more as a simple mechanic in itself, so the most fun is to exploit and break it(steal all the weapons in the world? Story remains unchanged).
Maybe it's all this predetermination all over the place(white will loose. Earth will die. Your session is doomed.), maybe it's that the narration regularely gets bored with what it has and extends its scope beyond the next terrible derailment, leaving a theoretical regular SBURB session looking pale and one-dimensional.
Maybe it is actually a not so subtle part of SBURB: shit is going to happen.

Maybe every player with some determination breaks the game.
A regular SBURB session would hardly be "pale and one dimensional." The punchcard alchemy system, the fact that you are actually in the game, and that the NPCs are people too, complete with a functional society (if LOHAC has a stock exchange, it has an economy, and most definitely a functional society), to say nothing of the gargantuan and varied game world, means that, regardless of its other flaws, SBURB is certainly not boring and one-dimensional.
[/post]

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39723 on: July 16, 2012, 09:49:18 am »

Aye, I think part of why it seems so bland in comparison to the story is that we've never seen a normal (or even a screwed up one) with a deeper level of detail: it would take up a story of its own.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39724 on: July 16, 2012, 10:40:58 am »

Guys. Look at what Homestuck has done to us.

We think that a game where you are capable of crafting literally anything from any combination of items, where the dead are brought back to life, where the game world is entirely real, varied and contains the ultimate AI to the point of being actual, living creatures, where you transcend to godlike levels of power, where you only get INTO the game to begin with by narrowly dodging meteors, is bland.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39725 on: July 16, 2012, 11:01:56 am »

Hey, were not saying its not awesome. Were just saying that, in terms of an *actually* game (I.E.  If it didn't take place IRL, it didn't destroy the world, and you didn't create a real universe by the end of it), Sburb is shitty.

Just because you can do something awesome in a game doesn't mean its not shit.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39726 on: July 16, 2012, 11:04:08 am »

Hey, were not saying its not awesome. Were just saying that, in terms of an *actually* game (I.E.  If it didn't take place IRL, it didn't destroy the world, and you didn't create a real universe by the end of it), Sburb is shitty.

ON THE CONTRARY!

Homestuck makes an amazing non-irl game. See: Homestuck RPG.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39727 on: July 16, 2012, 11:18:15 am »

Yeah, but didn't we completely throw canon out the window in the RPG? :P
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #39728 on: July 16, 2012, 11:24:39 am »

It's intended to be a little generic design-wise, yeah. A lot of things point towards that.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39729 on: July 16, 2012, 11:40:14 am »

Yeah, but didn't we completely throw canon out the window in the RPG? :P

In fairness, a lot of that was due to lack of information and my forgetfulness. Besides, some things are still canon-y.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #39730 on: July 16, 2012, 12:38:50 pm »

The story isn't great. Otherwise, the whole thing is spectacular. And I'm willing to give the story a pass, since it's procedurally generated.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39731 on: July 16, 2012, 02:01:19 pm »

The story isn't great. Otherwise, the whole thing is spectacular. And I'm willing to give the story a pass, since it's procedurally generated.
And multiplayer in such a way that your interaction with the other players is a vital part of the story itself.

OT: According to chrome, multiplayer is not a word...WTF

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #39732 on: July 16, 2012, 02:25:02 pm »

OT: According to chrome, multiplayer is not a word...WTF
That's on-topic? I thought this was a Homestuck thread.
[/post]

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39733 on: July 16, 2012, 02:27:36 pm »

I think he meant "off" by O.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #39734 on: July 16, 2012, 02:30:52 pm »

I think he meant "off" by O.
Oh. Whoops.
[/post]
Pages: 1 ... 2647 2648 [2649] 2650 2651 ... 3524