Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 2464 2465 [2466] 2467 2468 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5116089 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Homestuck: END OF ACT 6 INTERMISSION 2
« Reply #36975 on: April 03, 2012, 01:09:37 pm »

my current persisting theory is that UU is Universe A sufferer and uu is Universe A disciple.

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36976 on: April 03, 2012, 01:13:49 pm »

I don't know what everyone's complaining about. I would gladly sit through 3000+ pages of illustrated author in-jokes.
Thank you, I was afraid I was the only one who enjoyed the End of Intermission.

I don't think it was bad, per say. Just kinda... pointless. There's also a lingering feeling of "Am I really supposed to care?" I indulge Hussie's author insert moments because I know eventually they'll go away and we can get back to the actual comic, but it seems more and more like he's actually trying to make them part of the narrative. To which my response is a bewildered b-wha? I don't have much emotional attachment to any of these characters, so I fail to see why I should care that LE just cane-smacked Ms. Paint, or that Hussie has been shot.

And then the ending flash was basically without point. It was just a continuation of a joke that wasn't all that funny to begin with. Not to mention really rather creepy.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36977 on: April 03, 2012, 01:37:19 pm »

Hm... My view is that while the author inserts have only previously been relevant for foreshadowing or otherwise setting up callbacks, the way this one's being tied into the story is a bit different. I don't think we are specifically supposed to care about these characters (other than Spades), but they're filling roles as archetypes that have been created by other comics (perhaps the best-known author-insert storyline in a webcomic would be Bob and George). Given that, the difference is that Hussie's poking fun at the tendency for wish-fulfillment and similar ways of handling it by having his character have stereotypical Author-based superpowers and living in a similarly stereotypical "paradise" home (at the very least, it's quite a large estate, it seems), and then having all of that be entirely tangential to the part where he still dies. Which is also entirely tangential to the real plot.

Similarly, the end-of-intermission flash plays off fandom memes about him marrying Vriska, and having her seem pretty uninterested in the idea.

Of course, you're still entirely right. Neither of these jokes are based on anything in the actual comic, and that's a big problem for people who aren't familiar with author-insert shenanigans in webcomics at large, or with the community jokes, respectively. Especially that last one, which will render the joke entirely lost on archive-readers, kind of like how I didn't get the Hero Mode Gamzee joke until well after I caught up. It's also problematic for people who aren't reading Homestuck for the Hussie-related shenanigans, which renders this whole chunk of the intermission a fairly cliche "Look how badass the villain is!" moment at best, since there's no interest in the deconstruction.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36978 on: April 03, 2012, 01:40:21 pm »

If you aren't reading Homestuck for the deconstruction, you're obviously reading Homestuck wrong.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Mistercheif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36979 on: April 03, 2012, 02:28:34 pm »

Similarly, the end-of-intermission flash plays off fandom memes about him marrying Vriska, and having her seem pretty uninterested in the idea.

He is quite likely also trolling the regulars of the Vriska Quarantine thread (now averaging 100 pages per every couple of weeks) who have been wanting Vriska to be revived/brought back into the plot/have her interaction with Dream John resolved since, well, since she died.  Aka, like 6 or 7 Vriska Quarantine threads ago.  And so, he brings her back, in a non-plot relevant/non-revival way.

Now, if only I could find that maximum trolling .gif...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #36980 on: April 03, 2012, 02:33:20 pm »

Yeah, I don't really want Vriska to come back. I feel like this conversation has been done like a thousand times before, though.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36981 on: April 03, 2012, 02:44:24 pm »

Yeah, I don't really want Vriska to come back. I feel like this conversation has been done like a thousand times before, though.
I agree, but not because I don't like Vriska. I'm pretty sure she's got her "Happy Ending" and there is not much of a reason to bring her back.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #36982 on: April 03, 2012, 03:00:26 pm »

I didn't especially like her, for the same reason I DON'T want her revived: because her thieving abilities seemed to include the limelight. We did see MUCH Vriska and therefore NOT SO MUCH from other characters i was interested in more.
For her death... well, to me it was a (sad) consequence of her failure; a failure not in her Grand Scheme, but in something she didn't even think about until it was nearly too late, her personal quest, a quest for development. She may have made some progress(not sure about that), but in the end she decided to be a monster. And a petty one at that.
She got what she had coming, a stab to the back, and she got what everyone deserves: some kind of second chance.
I would leave it at that. Sorry if I'm reopening some kind of flamewar...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36983 on: April 03, 2012, 03:03:22 pm »

I want her back because of my fetish.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #36985 on: April 03, 2012, 03:09:42 pm »

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:11:34 pm by Liber celi »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36986 on: April 03, 2012, 03:12:45 pm »

Oh yay, moar music :D
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36987 on: April 03, 2012, 03:12:56 pm »

Yeah, I really really want Vriska to come back. I feel like this conversation has been done like a thousand times before, though.

I feel that her coming back in inevitable, she just has too many irons in the fire.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #36988 on: April 03, 2012, 03:13:54 pm »

I want her back because of my fetish.

You have a Vriska fetish too?
......Gray Spiderbitch fetish?

I can dig that.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #36989 on: April 03, 2012, 03:17:01 pm »

Like... what could happen if Vriska came back? She'd be a better person and live happily ever after? I feel like that ruins the tragedy that's a part of her character, and extends to the whole post-scratch troll race because of it. Their lives have been ruined because their civilization has been forced into being violent and hateful, and Vriska is the reader's personal experience with that. If you bring her back and everyone is happy then that kills it.

I'd be fine if she got brought back in a way that was anything but what most Vriska fans want.
Pages: 1 ... 2464 2465 [2466] 2467 2468 ... 3524