Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 2364 2365 [2366] 2367 2368 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5116431 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Homestuck: [S] Prince of Heart: Rise up.
« Reply #35475 on: March 06, 2012, 02:05:52 am »

Because it can't do the cycling pool ball gif.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35476 on: March 06, 2012, 02:13:19 am »

Have you ever tried to say that. It's just too big to get out of your throat. It goes *hurk* then you keel over. It sucked. Required surgery.

Also money says we get a flash coming up for Jane entering the medium. Or it's a psychout and we swap to either Dirk fighting something on his roof or it's back to Roxy oh god what about Jake ohgod ohgod the cliffhangers. Maybe he'll try for the mythical 4xcliffhanger combo or something.
I forgot about Jack how could I forget about Jack what happens there! omg

Okay, thought about it. It's going to be a preloader for Jane then swap to Dirk then Roxy then Jack then finally landing on Jake where he gets up to some sort of stupid shenanigans with the fairy bulls.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:30:11 am by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35477 on: March 06, 2012, 02:39:56 am »

Hussie is doing that thing where every time something dramatic is about to happen, we switch over to somebody doing something boring and build up to an exciting thing, and the cycle repeats until we're out of characters and have to see something interesting. I doubt he pioneered the technique (it is, after all, merely a refined series of cliffhangers), but he's certainly made it a signature part of Homestuck.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35478 on: March 06, 2012, 02:45:51 am »

He is pushing the envelope of trolling!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35479 on: March 06, 2012, 09:35:54 am »

Hussie is doing that thing where every time something dramatic is about to happen, we switch over to somebody doing something boring and build up to an exciting thing, and the cycle repeats until we're out of characters and have to see something interesting. I doubt he pioneered the technique (it is, after all, merely a refined series of cliffhangers), but he's certainly made it a signature part of Homestuck.

You'll also notice it's like he's skimming the first 3 Acts, trying to recreate the feel of several iconic moments from the original kids, but with their new counterparts; namely when John alchemized and bit the apple (Jane just got the punchcard), when Rose discovered the lab beneath Jaspers' meowsoleum (Roxy stumbled into a secret tube that will no doubt lead somewhere mysterious and explorable), and when Dave was challenged to meet Bro on the roof (Dirk is on his way now, Cal in tow). I suspect he's going to do a big flash with callbacks to the original flashes, but somehow subverting events from each of them, kinda like he did to rehash Dave's bit here with Terezi.

In other news, I'm trying to find a good flash animation to sell a few friends on Homestuck. Looking for something that catches interest, and is semi-understandable without giving too many spoilers away. I'm thinking EoA 3, since it shows SBURB in action, and touches on some major themes that help in explaining why it's cool... the whole coming-of-age story for the internet generation, the Sims-like nature of SBURB, a bit of character interplay (STRIIIIIDERRR!), sufficient zaniness, some epic moments for Rose and John, etc.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35480 on: March 06, 2012, 01:31:54 pm »

In other news, I'm trying to find a good flash animation to sell a few friends on Homestuck. Looking for something that catches interest, and is semi-understandable without giving too many spoilers away. I'm thinking EoA 3, since it shows SBURB in action, and touches on some major themes that help in explaining why it's cool... the whole coming-of-age story for the internet generation, the Sims-like nature of SBURB, a bit of character interplay (STRIIIIIDERRR!), sufficient zaniness, some epic moments for Rose and John, etc.
That's not a good road to go down. The flashes like that only seem awesome to you because you've experienced all the build up. To other people, it seems like a bunch of jumbled, barely-connected nonsense.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35481 on: March 06, 2012, 01:37:48 pm »

WV?: Rise Up might work.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35482 on: March 06, 2012, 01:38:34 pm »

As much as I hate to say it, the Act 4 Opener, with John walking around on LoWaS might actually be a good hook (klunky as it is).  It's kinda self-explanatory without actually giving much of the story away, and it looks pretty cool.  Doesn't reflect much about how the comic is read, but it certainly sets the tone.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35483 on: March 06, 2012, 02:21:09 pm »

Some of the Dave: STRIFE ones where he duels Bro might work as well, in that you don't need a LOT of background ("They're brothers and the older one has a pretty ridiculous method for training the other one, and can also move really really fast") and is generally comprehensible. On the other hand, they're just action scenes that don't really suggest anything particularly unique about Homestuck, with the possible exception of live action stop motion with Lil' Cal.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35484 on: March 06, 2012, 02:28:49 pm »

Show the dream-bubble sequences.

It's so surreal and removed from everything else happening that it can't spoil anything.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35485 on: March 06, 2012, 02:35:45 pm »

The best option would be to just have them read from the start, and if they aren't interested by the first flash with WV there would be no point.

But if you need something to start them off, you could show them that homestuck start flash that someone did. Can't find it now because i'm on my phone, but it can be used to show how awsome it'll get later. Everything it shows are realitively spoiler free, and it could work to get them interested.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35486 on: March 06, 2012, 02:44:44 pm »

But if you need something to start them off, you could show them that homestuck start flash that someone did. Can't find it now because i'm on my phone, but it can be used to show how awsome it'll get later. Everything it shows are realitively spoiler free, and it could work to get them interested.
Homestuck title screen.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35487 on: March 06, 2012, 03:11:26 pm »

Homestuck title screen.

How long has that thing been around now?  I'm sure it's long enough that they could have actually made sure it works consistently in Firefox.  Lazy bastards.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35488 on: March 06, 2012, 04:59:45 pm »

Try the first midnight crew flash (the one which introduces spades et all).  See if you can find the Bowen version, and that won't even spoil the music ffor the real version.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35489 on: March 06, 2012, 09:05:24 pm »

That title screen is pretty excellent... never seen that before, but it uses music from the beginning of Act 6 so it can't be that old.

That's not a good road to go down. The flashes like that only seem awesome to you because you've experienced all the build up. To other people, it seems like a bunch of jumbled, barely-connected nonsense.

I disagree; I picked the EoA3 flash because as an animation it focused mostly on the basic premise of Homestuck, and featured the 4 kids in a few funny, exciting, and cool moments that make enough sense in their own right... with a fair share of confusing but hopefully intriguing bits (There's a flying tie-dye hammer? And a ghost-clown that writes joke books? And throwing dead cats into glowing pink things turns them into noodle-armed princess?). Paired with a brief summary of the premise, I think it works as a hook, and will hopefully spark enough curiosity about the plot.

Quote from: My attempt at a Synopsis
Homestuck is a comedy web-series that tells a modern coming-of-age story, using mixed-media to make an interactive quasi-webcomic thing. Without giving too much away, the story revolves around four kids that know each other strictly via the internet, and who are getting ready to play a new computer game called SBURB. Through some unexplainable science/voodoo, SBURB apparently warps one player into a pocket dimension where they fight monsters and solve puzzles and all that jazz, while a second player supports them from outside the pocket-world, building and modifying the game environment to help them succeed. Just before the kids can get ready to pair off and try the game out, the end of the world decides to start happening all around them. In order to escape it, they use SBURB to warp themselves and their homes into a linked 4-player session of the game... and the story picks up from there.
Pages: 1 ... 2364 2365 [2366] 2367 2368 ... 3524