Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 2183 2184 [2185] 2186 2187 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5134050 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Homestuck: there's an update I have proof
« Reply #32760 on: December 14, 2011, 03:32:20 pm »

I'd have to find something else to force me out of bed every morning.
Simple.

Just check out the next adventure that Hussie makes.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32761 on: December 14, 2011, 04:53:45 pm »

I've mostly stopped even checking for and reading updates.  I actually don't care much anymore about the outcome of this story, because all the characters I really liked are dead or their personalities have been kind of mutated.  Oh, and I miss the little flash gaming side trips.  Those were the best.

I wish I had it in me to care, but there's only so much twisting and turning that can happen before I throw in the towel.
What did bring you into reading this anyway? I understand favorite characters dying off and the story not staying in one place you like, but every character that has developed feels like an improvement. I do wish to know your analysis on what you liked, it seems like it would be a nifty different angle to look into.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32762 on: December 14, 2011, 05:20:56 pm »

I've mostly stopped even checking for and reading updates.  I actually don't care much anymore about the outcome of this story, because all the characters I really liked are dead or their personalities have been kind of mutated.  Oh, and I miss the little flash gaming side trips.  Those were the best.

I wish I had it in me to care, but there's only so much twisting and turning that can happen before I throw in the towel.
What did bring you into reading this anyway? I understand favorite characters dying off and the story not staying in one place you like, but every character that has developed feels like an improvement. I do wish to know your analysis on what you liked, it seems like it would be a nifty different angle to look into.

Yeah, you know those things on TVTropes where they dissect popular things (like Buffy) as a sort of post-show analysis? You should do one of those. It would be great.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32763 on: December 14, 2011, 05:29:01 pm »

Also a Title Test because I'm bored and have basically no self-respect.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32764 on: December 14, 2011, 05:54:41 pm »

All right, I'll put it like this.  I came into reading Homestuck because I was wandering up into the upper forums, and there was this huge MSPA thread, and I also found out that all of Toony's avatars were from MSPA, so I went "Well, whatever, I'll take a look."  The place that I ended up reading to was the introduction of Cantown, and then I went back and read all of PS and it was all kind of... it was so lighthearted, so flexible, that I couldn't help enjoying myself.

But for Homestuck, I was never that into any of the kids in particular (I thought Dad was really great, though).  The maturity that they're gaining is removing what was so wonderful about their characters--the interplay between holding themselves as adults and having the inabilities and limitations of children.  I'm not interested in Rose as an older teenager with an enormous vocabulary.  It was hilarious to see her gaming everyone else and psychoanalyzing them as a younger kid, though.  Similar goes for Dave, who took himself so seriously and was constantly assaulted by puppet butts.  And, the new set of kids is kind of... I just don't find them all that attractive as characters.

I don't mind whatever's happened with the trolls, since they'll be cool, active characters pretty much no matter what you do.  But the dynamic between the kids feels like it's been somehow "flattened."  The relationship with their guardians is completely ignored nowadays, and somehow, I feel that that was a large part of the dynamic elements of their personalities.  Nowadays, there's not that much left of places where the audience knows things the kids don't know, or the kids know things the audience doesn't know.  I feel like there's been a significant down-scaling of tension.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #32765 on: December 14, 2011, 05:59:11 pm »

Depending on how in the hell I am supposed to figure out the aspect, I am either the Idol of Hope or Time.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32766 on: December 14, 2011, 06:06:12 pm »

I don't mind whatever's happened with the trolls, since they'll be cool, active characters pretty much no matter what you do.  But the dynamic between the kids feels like it's been somehow "flattened."  The relationship with their guardians is completely ignored nowadays, and somehow, I feel that that was a large part of the dynamic elements of their personalities.  Nowadays, there's not that much left of places where the audience knows things the kids don't know, or the kids know things the audience doesn't know.  I feel like there's been a significant down-scaling of tension.

That actually sums up a lot of my problem with the comic at this point.  I feel like Hussie has forgotten how to write relative characters, and I'm losing any real ability to invest in the tale.  He's telling a story rather than showing it now, with characters that are just too far from the real world, especially compared to the originals.  It's why I was so excited to see John and Jade speaking to each other, and why I'm so terrified by the idea of them being stuffed in a closet for potentially another year and half of real-time, let alone narrative, while Hussie goes all George Lucas with a batch of pod-kids.

It's now been over a year since he wrote any conversation between John and Dave, or Rose and Kanaya, or any of the other old highlights.  Which can probably be blamed more on hiatuses than planning, but still, he has to throw me a bone at some point.

Hmm, interesting.  Okay, so I have to do a lot of work by hand-

The Titles are as follows (6 are non-canon):

Unacceptable.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32767 on: December 14, 2011, 06:19:50 pm »

I am the Sylph of Light apparently.

Shit.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 06:21:36 pm by Darvi »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32768 on: December 14, 2011, 06:45:33 pm »

Hmm, interesting.  Okay, so I have to do a lot of work by hand-

The Titles are as follows (6 are non-canon):

Unacceptable.
The comic doesn't have enough titles to fit all the personalities this guy can throw together. I can at least dig the reason why the structure is made the way it is.

And yeah, I sorta do feel that too. It was why John and Jade were my favorite kids as opposed to Dave and Rose, they felt more like kids trying to deal with this strange thing going on. And their most recent chat doesn't really hold their old feel.

Still, being plainly an obvious coming of age story from the beginning I knew they were going to grow up, so I'm sorta excited to see the characters I have developed a liking to growing up.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32769 on: December 14, 2011, 07:20:39 pm »

Level five Mage of Form, as it seems.
I was going to Mage of Space, till I realized I was level 5 >.>
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32770 on: December 14, 2011, 07:44:08 pm »

6w5 level 4.
Knight of Time. Hey look guys I'm Dave!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32771 on: December 14, 2011, 08:35:56 pm »

I'm still gonna roll with my title from that one chart a while back. Sylph of Guile hell yeah.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32772 on: December 14, 2011, 08:37:18 pm »

Me too. That test is so long, if it was a kid, it'd be a Waste of Time.

heheh.

Anyway, Mage of Sound, reporting in.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32773 on: December 14, 2011, 10:02:09 pm »

Priest of Blaze! Time to preach the gospel of SICK FIRES.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 2183 2184 [2185] 2186 2187 ... 3524