Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 1448 1449 [1450] 1451 1452 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5125510 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA: Ghost Frog Robot Fairy Dance Party
« Reply #21735 on: March 02, 2011, 09:16:27 pm »

I'm just trying to think like a Hussie here. It seems like a nice, neat series of interconnected plot elements that is all congruous, the way he normally does it.

That's a good one Soli.  The plot elements get all congruous and neat and interconnected is because he adds them all up after the face.  Hussie is great at filling in plot holes with other random chunks of plot.  But he just keeps adding more weird shit on top of it.

And as much as it pisses me off just a little more every time he declares some formerly oddball and spurious element to be part of some grand predetermined plan, I get the feeling that he's actively encouraging that feeling.  You can see it in the story itself, with Jade trying to wallout looping-inspiration shenanigans and Aradia driving herself insane trying to follow all the little threads she's hanging from.  The grand goal of the game, the whole game, feels more and more like it has nothing to do with Saving the World or The Power of Friendship; it's finding out where it all began.

ingratiating

I agree with the entire spirit of this post, but that word doesn't mean what I'm pretty sure you were trying make it mean.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21736 on: March 02, 2011, 09:21:31 pm »

So, is this the point of divergence then?

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21737 on: March 02, 2011, 09:24:11 pm »

So, is this the point of divergence then?

Nah. It's around here. In the offshoot, the virus was not run and Karkat's computer did not explode. It's supposed to explode and the virus run in the alpha timeline.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21738 on: March 02, 2011, 09:25:16 pm »

And as much as it pisses me off just a little more every time he declares some formerly oddball and spurious element to be part of some grand predetermined plan, I get the feeling that he's actively encouraging that feeling.

Early on, I noticed that the way he wrote Problem Sleuth was strikingly similar to how a GM runs a tabletop adventure game. You have characters to include, milestones you want to hit, and an ultimate goal and backstory, but you let the players find out how to explore them, and write the story as you go. You don't have hard-and-fast plot that you have to stick to, and instead leave all sorts of dangling plot threads, which you can tie back into later, fudging things as necessary. If you're a good GM, no matter what randomness may happen, you can make it look like that was the plan all along. Homestuck is a bit different, since he's directly taken the reins of the story for most of it, but it still seems to be a part of his writing method.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21739 on: March 02, 2011, 09:34:04 pm »

ingratiating
I agree with the entire spirit of this post, but that word doesn't mean what I'm pretty sure you were trying make it mean.

God damn it. I always seem to use 'ingratiating' as like a classier version of 'grating' :\ Ah, well.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21740 on: March 02, 2011, 09:47:34 pm »

Nah. It's around here. In the offshoot, the virus was not run and Karkat's computer did not explode. It's supposed to explode and the virus run in the alpha timeline.

You beat me to it, but then I read over it again.  "The players would learn quickly that while one pre-entry prototyping per player was absolutely necessary for ultimate success, additional pre-entry prototypings merely empowered their enemies unnecessarily."  Could go either way on whether there's more plot there.  Perhaps another doomed alternate-timeline Aradia had to warn/convince/force someone into prototyping before entry, having seen a doomed session where it didn't happen.  Perhaps the alpha-Troll-timeline had at least one entry with a blank prototype, which going by Rose's explanation, would fit in with the story's general ethos if, say, Karkat ruined their chances by with a non-prototype that kept their Battlefield from evolving.  But I'm pretty sure I saw some part-crab enemies, so probably not.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21741 on: March 02, 2011, 09:53:17 pm »

Perhaps the alpha-Troll-timeline had at least one entry with a blank prototype, which going by Rose's explanation, would fit in with the story's general ethos if, say, Karkat ruined their chances by with a non-prototype that kept their Battlefield from evolving.  But I'm pretty sure I saw some part-crab enemies, so probably not.

They all must have to prototype pre entry, as according to Rose and Vriska, the final form of Skaia is necessary for the creation of a new universe. Since we know they accomplished that, they must have all prototyped pre-entry. In the alpha, at least. And I also remember seeing crab features on enemies.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 09:56:46 pm by Diablous »
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21742 on: March 02, 2011, 09:57:35 pm »

I can't seem to think which lusus it was. Aradia's I suppose, what with her being dead?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21743 on: March 02, 2011, 10:05:05 pm »

I can't seem to think which lusus it was. Aradia's I suppose, what with her being dead?
Which lusus for what?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #21744 on: March 02, 2011, 10:06:57 pm »

Cal is a red herring. Calling it right now.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21745 on: March 02, 2011, 10:10:47 pm »

I'm Doc Scratch, stupid!
HAA HAA HEE HEE HOO HOO

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:12:51 pm by PenguinOverlord »
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21746 on: March 02, 2011, 10:12:52 pm »

She prototyped the frog temple head to make frogsprite. Thus why the Black Queen would not wear the ring, it resembled their hated enemy the God Frog.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21747 on: March 02, 2011, 10:15:38 pm »

He's the rarest of things - a red herring that always seems a little more important every time he appears, but is and will always been essentially meaningless.  It's easy to forget that for all of Hussie's intentionally convoluted plots and elaborate backfills, he's not above making plain old jokes.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21748 on: March 02, 2011, 10:17:31 pm »

I'm Doc Scratch, stupid!
HAA HAA HEE HEE HOO HOO

I refuse this possible reality, and am now attempting to replace the likely Hussiehood here with my own theories. For one:

CAL IS LORD ENGL*headshot from Retro*

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21749 on: March 02, 2011, 10:21:32 pm »

Why is everybody being so negative about Hussie's infodumps, Sudden Signifigance reveals, and reverse-foreshadowing?
I for one love it all.
Pages: 1 ... 1448 1449 [1450] 1451 1452 ... 3524