Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 1115 1116 [1117] 1118 1119 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5129509 times)

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA: Volume 6: Heir Transparent
« Reply #16740 on: January 05, 2011, 01:30:59 pm »

Oh, hey, by the way, there was a formspring update like eleven hours ago and I only noticed it now. Andrew talks about the True Reason behind modifying existing panels into new panels and copying old poses and generally throwing callbacks everywhere.

There seems to be a disturbing amount of people that are exciting over the idea of Jade and Jadesprite kissing in the next panel. You have a great and terrible power. Take care in it's use.
This is the power of the visual callback.

Some people scratch their heads over them and wonder what's the deal. This is not actually THE deal with them, but it demonstrates something they can accomplish.

What has happened here is a secondary, hidden joke has been told in parallel with the events taking place. Because these frames are direct mods of earlier panels conveying a similar scene but a totally different situation, the reader, if alert, remembers exactly what should come next. Hence we have an "extra" joke in addition to all the obvious points of humor. You are caused to imagine these two are about to kiss, and that is funny and absurd.

This cannot be accomplished nearly as directly without the visual callbacks. But this does not mean every time we see such a callback, there is a similar joke being cracked. It's not quite that simple or literal.

But using them frequently is important for setting them up for use in situations like this. You can't really just pull one out of a hat without establishing the tendency to do so. The callbacks have been woven into the fabric of normalcy first, to the point where they hardly raise an eyebrow anymore, while still demanding your recognition when they happen.

Having established them this way, there are other more subtle purposes they can serve as well. Not just jokes. Sometimes they illustrate contrast in situation. Like when Davesprite defended sleeping Dave, that panel was reused when future Dave stood over sleeping doomed Dave, contemplating whether to kill him. Pretty contrasting moments, and the callback invites such reflection.

Same with the Jadesprite callback. It wasn't just the joke being communicated. It also echoed the first time it was used, when Dream Jade slapped Dream John trying to wake him. Now situation is somewhat reversed. Dream Jade (Jadesprite) is being slapped by Real Jade. That character's role in the scenario has transmuted from heroic to pathetic.

None of this reads at all, or is put in the spotlight for consideration, without the callbacks.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16741 on: January 05, 2011, 01:57:15 pm »

Yeah, it's appeared thrice now. Well done, I must say.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16742 on: January 05, 2011, 02:01:24 pm »

Wait, shit. I just realized.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #16743 on: January 05, 2011, 02:22:40 pm »

Terezi is the only troll who would do something like that in character.

Terezi is also the best troll.

Coincidence?
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16744 on: January 05, 2011, 02:27:46 pm »

Vriska is the best troll.
Although Terezi is a close second.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16745 on: January 05, 2011, 02:37:31 pm »

Wait, doubleshit. I realized not only what is going on, but that it's been that way for a while now. Except with a character other than Jade.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16746 on: January 05, 2011, 02:41:41 pm »

I love all the KarkatxNepeta fanart.  Also, I believe it's doubleplusshit comrade.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16747 on: January 05, 2011, 02:43:55 pm »

She looks like a monkey in that picture!

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16748 on: January 05, 2011, 02:44:37 pm »

I love all the KarkatxNepeta fanart.  Also, I believe it's doubleplusshit comrade.
Wow, you changed your post just as I hit "quote". Ended up with new content.

Spoiler: What I'd post instead (click to show/hide)
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16749 on: January 05, 2011, 02:47:19 pm »

Don't be hatin' the catin'.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16750 on: January 05, 2011, 02:55:36 pm »

toonyman that is awesome

Also I love this album and I'm not even done with Frost. I just saw Nic Cage song and am preparing for epicness.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16751 on: January 05, 2011, 03:00:21 pm »

toonyman that is awesome

Also I love this album and I'm not even done with Frost. I just saw Nic Cage song and am preparing for epicness.
That's one of my top 3.  It's pretty hilarious.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16752 on: January 05, 2011, 03:29:31 pm »

Nic Cage Song was meh.

Umbral Ultimatum was epic.

The other songs had varying degrees of awesome and fail.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16753 on: January 05, 2011, 03:33:43 pm »

I kept on getting Cavestory flash backs.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16754 on: January 05, 2011, 03:52:46 pm »

The only thing I dislike from this album is GameBro 1990 :P

Oh my god. That GameBro song is absolutely fantastic. The whitest 90's rap ever, little chiptune accents, references to all the horrible great old videogame shows that happened when Nintendo/Genesis were big, call backs to other Homestuck music, and a kickass rock-organ solo.

Maybe it's just being a child of the 90s, but I love it. It's like seeing a childhood friend, and realizing that after all those years nothing has changed between you.

EDIT: Best Formspring Ever.
In your recap post, you wrote "Scratch had a similar but yet unknown origin." I'm not trying to be all, "OMG YOU SUCK", but the "but yet" seems somewhat unprofessional compared to your usual mastery of the English language.

OOPS ohhhhhhhh damn, yeah there is a sloppy little pair of conjunctions taking a shit in my sentence in that long thing I banged out at warp speed. *BEET RED* Ok you can blow the smoke off your red pen and twirl that thing back into its holster. And then the Gotcha Buckaroo climbed onto his horse with its raging case of Horse Asperger's and galloped away.

Isn't it funny how I did something dumb and yet you're the one getting owned?

Hahahahaha.

Also I don't really think I'm a master of the language. I just sort of use it. It's just that other people tend to wipe their asses with it. And they don't even do a very good job with that. Like they shuffle out of the bathroom with their pants around their ankles and the assisted living professional just shakes her head.

Wait you're one of these fakers aren't you. You didn't REALLY have a problem with this, right?

GOD DAMMIT
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 04:05:32 pm by Solifuge »
Pages: 1 ... 1115 1116 [1117] 1118 1119 ... 3524