Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5116714 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA: There is always a 'U'pdate!
« Reply #10455 on: October 15, 2010, 11:36:17 am »

That kind of bothered me. What, none of the kids are allowed to have thought of anything on their own, or done anything original? Everything has to be a product of the trolls influencing them at a younger age now?

Everything is connected to everything else, and always has been. The human kids only know each other because long ago in the future, WV appearified John's present to Jade, which PM sent to past Jade. This isn't really a new theme in the story. Also, the trolls created the human universe, so influencing things there is pretty appropriate.

By the way, Dave gave his name as Ben Stiller, and next to him on the table are the sunglasses John sent to him. COINCIDENCE!?

Also, I just realized that Dave was probably intending Terezi to disbelieve him when he told her his name was Dave.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10456 on: October 15, 2010, 11:45:31 am »

Hrm, I think this scene has been used before, with the box. I'm trying to find it right now.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10457 on: October 15, 2010, 11:50:07 am »

Yeah, it's the one where Dave opens his birthday present and reads the sappy birthday letter from John. Immediately after which he gets trolled trolls adiosToreador. This panel onwards.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10458 on: October 15, 2010, 11:55:59 am »

lol, you beat me to it. I just found the same page. So, Terezei trolls Dave shortly before he opens the present and then gets trolled a couple of minutes later by Tavros.

No idea when in the timeline from the trolls POV that Tavros does that though.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10459 on: October 15, 2010, 12:07:08 pm »

That kind of bothered me. What, none of the kids are allowed to have thought of anything on their own, or done anything original? Everything has to be a product of the trolls influencing them at a younger age now?

Everything is connected to everything else, and always has been. The human kids only know each other because long ago in the future, WV appearified John's present to Jade, which PM sent to past Jade. This isn't really a new theme in the story. Also, the trolls created the human universe, so influencing things there is pretty appropriate.

Yes, I'm well aware that on a grander level, this is the case. But when applied on a very specific level, it just annoys me, because it implies that nothing about the kids' behaviour and hobbies is from their own and basically doesn't give them any credit at all. What's next - John liking pranking because Karkat tells him about pranking as a kid? Rose taking an interest in tentacle monsters after talking to Feferi? I just don't see why Hussie has to make absolutely everything influenced by the trolls. Some stuff, sure, but... Terezi inspiring SBAHJ just makes me think less of Dave's ironic sense of humour because he didn't come up with it on his own as we assumed for the last over a year.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10460 on: October 15, 2010, 12:45:18 pm »

You know, or it could just be people are influenced by lots of different things? And thats all it is, an influence, however slight. SB+HJ is still very much the creation of daves own mind. His bro was ALSO a huge influence on him, and obviously the humour is all daves. So Terezi had a slight influence on the art style of one of the characters. Don't see it as that huge a deal, honestly... she didn't make it what it was, she merely inspired one of the tools he works with.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10461 on: October 15, 2010, 01:06:31 pm »

This happens on a national level too. If there was only one country, we'd probably still be back in the renissance( where we could spell renissance).
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10462 on: October 15, 2010, 01:08:48 pm »

Yeah, what GlyphGryph said. Dave took inspiration towards his ironically bad art style from the blind troll girl, but he still writes the things. Or wrote, anyway. And he took up making ironic webcomics in the first place because Bro did them. John pushed Jade to gardening and Rose to knitting, but they're still the ones doing the gardening and knitting. Why should they develop something spontaneously to get credit for it?

Also, it's "Renaissance".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10463 on: October 15, 2010, 01:10:03 pm »

This happens on a national level too. If there was only one country, we'd probably still be back in the renissance( where we could spell renissance).

If you know you're not spelling it right, why can't you look up or find out the right spelling? 
Shoes...

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10464 on: October 15, 2010, 01:10:25 pm »

beacuase I'm lazy.  :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10465 on: October 15, 2010, 01:11:29 pm »

Nation-states as we know them today are a pretty recent thing, the seeds of which were in the 17th century I think, long after the Renaissance. I don't get the point you're trying to make, but it sounds like you fail history.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10466 on: October 15, 2010, 02:27:59 pm »

Fuck, fine, replace Country with Kingdom and you get his bloody point.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #10467 on: October 15, 2010, 03:03:07 pm »

Yes, I'm well aware that on a grander level, this is the case. But when applied on a very specific level, it just annoys me, because it implies that nothing about the kids' behaviour and hobbies is from their own and basically doesn't give them any credit at all. What's next - John liking pranking because Karkat tells him about pranking as a kid? Rose taking an interest in tentacle monsters after talking to Feferi? I just don't see why Hussie has to make absolutely everything influenced by the trolls. Some stuff, sure, but... Terezi inspiring SBAHJ just makes me think less of Dave's ironic sense of humour because he didn't come up with it on his own as we assumed for the last over a year.

Where else do ideas come from?
Do they just fall out of our waste tubes?

You take a little bit of something from everything. Your art reflects your life.
He saw a red shape Terezi drew him.
Why does this matter? Let's pretend Terezi never contacted him, and he never saw the shape.
Doesn't matter since Terezi was always going to troll him, and it couldn't have happened differently.
Alternate universe (hah) Dave drew his SBAHJ a little differently.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10468 on: October 15, 2010, 04:23:42 pm »

Oh, wow, latest page...Hussie does a callout/back to ICP, of all things:

GC: MY N4M3 1S T3R3Z1, WH4TS YOURS
TG: shaggy 2 dope
GC: OK SH4GGY, S33

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10469 on: October 15, 2010, 04:42:21 pm »

Vivus painted such an awesome picture of Feferi that I am going to have to link it here even though we're having regular updates now.

Also, remember that RIP Maplehoof pic? Yeah, MyUsernamesMud made some music to go with it.
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 3524