Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5116983 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA: There is always a 'U'pdate!
« Reply #10155 on: October 07, 2010, 10:29:48 pm »

She's still 13.
SHE'S SIX SOLAR SWEEPS OLD YOU SICK FUCKS
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10156 on: October 07, 2010, 10:38:23 pm »

Which equals 13 human years, coincidentally. And it appears, at least from superficial examination and mental and emotional development that over the same amount of time, they develop about the same as Humans.

I still have problems with 1 solar sweep equaling over 2 years, because of the location of Alternia to its sun.

*gripe gripe complain gripe*

Edit: Another problem that just occurred to me: why would they call them solar sweeps? I mean, presumably it was translated into a language we could understand, but Solar comes from the name of our star, Sol.

Just bugs me.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:08:48 pm by Deteramot »
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: October 07, 2010, 11:21:30 pm »

Turns out every species calls themselves the people, their planet some variant of dirt or wet, and their star some variant of sun.

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10158 on: October 07, 2010, 11:25:12 pm »

That is such a cop out answer.
I'm currently making a nice room for my legendary clerk. I always treat my legendaries with the greatest respect, giving them the best rooms and so on. Although the walls are mostly engraved with pictures of my miner starving to death after he fell down a well, so it's not too cheerful.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: October 07, 2010, 11:27:34 pm »

That is such a cop out answer.
Not really. That's what we would have to translate their language as for the more accurate translation. Same meaning = same word.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10160 on: October 07, 2010, 11:30:22 pm »

They also have stuff like the 6th dark season and bilunar perigree. Which comes out as 612 as far as karkats page goes. So that would be the equivalent of months and days I guess.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10161 on: October 07, 2010, 11:34:48 pm »

Edit: Another problem that just occurred to me: why would they call them solar sweeps? I mean, presumably it was translated into a language we could understand, but Solar comes from the name of our star, Sol.

Just bugs me.

Sol is the Latin word for sun. It's used the exact same way our word for sun is.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: October 07, 2010, 11:43:56 pm »

Saying that Sol is the latin word for sun is a really silly argument, considering that English is a latin-based language. Sol is the root word that led to the word Sun, and it doesn't change the problem I'm having here. Why would they call it Solar Sweeps? Sol should not exist as a root word anywhere in their lexicon, unless their language evolved similar to ours.

And yes, I do realize that it's supposedly translated and blah blah. I'm sure at some point, solar will appear as a word used by the Trolls to the Humans, and it will cause me to blow a gasket.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: October 07, 2010, 11:49:40 pm »

I still fail to see how this bothers you more than any other English words they are using.

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10164 on: October 07, 2010, 11:52:05 pm »

It doesn't. I'm just using it as a specific example.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10165 on: October 07, 2010, 11:54:41 pm »

Also: Why does there even have to be any translation going on? The trolls CREATED earth. Why bother inventing a new language for it?(Note that for the purposes of the comic, english seems to be the only language on earth)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #10166 on: October 07, 2010, 11:57:52 pm »

1. English is Germanic with a number of French derivitives. Not Latin-based. [/nitpick]

2. The trolls have faygo, orange creamsicles, an upside down version of a fictional alphabet, etc. Our universe is based off theirs. Thus, common language is possible.

3. "the blinding Alternian sun..."; sun is a word describing a star which heats etc. a planet.

Ppe: whoah it's a full ninja all the way. Double ninja, ohmygod.... It's starting to look like a triple ninja!

Deteramot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10167 on: October 08, 2010, 12:10:56 am »

Stop stealing the things I complain about from me!!!! I need that complaining, it makes my life complete and keeps my blood pressure down.

So that when I get killed by ninjas, I don't spray blood all over the place.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10168 on: October 08, 2010, 12:25:44 am »

So that when I get killed by ninjas, I don't spray blood all over the place.
Oh, don't worry about that. Ninjas are quite skilled at preventing that sort of thing. Leaves far too much mess.

Now spies on the other hand... those are liable to get your blood all over their nice new suit.

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: October 08, 2010, 02:06:08 am »

Quite ironic, as the spies walk about in suits in public.

Hmm, he's later than usual.
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 3524