Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5125093 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA: Water Trolls and Epicsplosions
« Reply #5760 on: August 15, 2010, 06:40:02 pm »

Anyways, I've finished reading the whole thing and have had a revelation about the whole thing. I pretty much understand all of the stuff thats going on, even whats happening to the trolls in the game mirrored what was going on with the kids, such as Johns rocket crashing into the house and Taureavos (sp?) crashing his hoverrocket into the hive.

One of my favorite mirrors is Aradia slapping the shit out of Equius/Jade trying to wake up John during Descend.

It's one of those things. You can't tell if it's an intentionall parallel, or if Andrew Hussie is just reusing art.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: August 15, 2010, 06:42:40 pm »

Considering that the homestuck kids and the troll kids are in parallel universes (with prospit, the dark planet, and the battleplanet, and the dreamworld seemingly in between), it makes sense.

My guess is that whatever causes that Lusus's death is going to make it scream with a voice that woild make an Elder God proud.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 06:45:57 pm by smjjames »

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: August 15, 2010, 06:52:57 pm »

I saw the update and was like D:< HUGE BITCH
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: August 15, 2010, 07:40:39 pm »

Anyways, I've finished reading the whole thing and have had a revelation about the whole thing. I pretty much understand all of the stuff thats going on, even whats happening to the trolls in the game mirrored what was going on with the kids, such as Johns rocket crashing into the house and Taureavos (sp?) crashing his hoverrocket into the hive.

One of my favorite mirrors is Aradia slapping the shit out of Equius/Jade trying to wake up John during Descend.

It's one of those things. You can't tell if it's an intentionall parallel, or if Andrew Hussie is just reusing art.

There was a formspring question asking basically the same thing.

Andrew gave an incredibly long-winded response, but essentially, they are intentional parallels, even if it would be faster to do things from scratch. I don't exactly recall his rationale for why, but it was something about establishing a vocabulary for the story. Or something. I honestly don't have any idea what he was talking about.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: August 15, 2010, 08:04:40 pm »

I think it's part of his style. I like it, and it feels rewarding spotting the parallels.
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: August 15, 2010, 08:39:54 pm »

Something I just realized while rereading the story. 

Okay, so the Midnight Crew intermission didn't seem canonical at first, right?  But later Hussie confirmed that Spades Slick is one of the troll's exiles, and thus obviously the planet the intermission is set on must be devastated!Alternia.  I just found a random sneaky-not-quite-foreshadowing of this:  compare this page with this page

THE SAME MOONS ALL ALONG

(note also "desert amidst the ruins of a dead civilization")
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:51:36 pm by Shinziril »
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: August 15, 2010, 09:00:56 pm »

we've known this for awhile.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: August 15, 2010, 09:10:24 pm »

Yea, theres so many twists and turns and switchbacks that you wonder how far ahead Andrew Hussie planned things ahead?

Anyways, pretty cool looking shipwreck/hive that Eridan has there.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: August 15, 2010, 09:10:30 pm »

Andrew gave an incredibly long-winded response, but essentially, they are intentional parallels, even if it would be faster to do things from scratch. I don't exactly recall his rationale for why, but it was something about establishing a vocabulary for the story. Or something. I honestly don't have any idea what he was talking about.

A-yup. The short version is "the art/sound/dialogue/situational parallels repeating throughout the story help give it the 'predetermined' feeling that I like and that the readers tend to like too" in a taking-himself-just-a-little-bit-too-seriously manner.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: August 15, 2010, 09:12:02 pm »

we've known this for awhile.
SO WHAT CARE BEAR STORY TELLER

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: August 15, 2010, 09:25:20 pm »

Eridan and Feferi hunt lususes. This makes Feferi's bubbly personality seem a little morbid.

Maybe they're doing what they have to, like Vriska.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: August 15, 2010, 09:41:36 pm »

I was right. It was some other troll's lusus. WAHAHA.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: August 15, 2010, 09:47:58 pm »

I'll give Eridan one thing: He has a badass nest. You know, as purple blooded trolls seem to be the only ones living in the water, Eridan just caused a lot of heartache for some other royal troll. He isn't a ocean elitist, he's just cruel to everyone.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: August 15, 2010, 09:51:12 pm »

You know, I have absolutely no idea where everyone is basing all these personality judgments of both Feferi and Eridan, when neither has barely spoken at all.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5774 on: August 15, 2010, 09:55:57 pm »

You know, I have absolutely no idea where everyone is basing all these personality judgments of both Feferi and Eridan, when neither has barely spoken at all.
One conversation lays a good picture.
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 3524