Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5123090 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA: How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love the Trolls
« Reply #4605 on: July 30, 2010, 07:39:02 pm »

Considering most of the draw of Acts 2, 3, and 4 was HOLYSHIT AWESOME TOTALLY EPIC FLASH THIS IS RIGHTEOUS stuff, it strikes me as weird that Hussie spent so much time and effort laboring over characterization and plot (which I do appreciate, because hey, they're trolls), and is flying literally as fast as he can get away with over all the best opportunities to show crazy fight scenes and animations.  My guess is, he didn't want to go to the trouble of making another "JACK: ASCEND" type mini-magnum opus.

He does seem to enjoy the characterization and plot stuff.  The sudden change in pace is just really jarring.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4606 on: July 30, 2010, 07:47:57 pm »

It is, at that. I think he's trying to get through this entire act without flash, or maybe will flash to end the act. Or arc, whichever.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: July 30, 2010, 07:59:29 pm »

I wouldn't mind a final troll boss battle flash. I wouldn't mind one bit.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4608 on: July 30, 2010, 08:10:55 pm »

Augh.

I gotta say, I actually preferred this at the beginning.  Currently catching up on act V.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: July 30, 2010, 08:14:39 pm »

I gotta say, I actually preferred this at the beginning.

Glad to hear I'm not the only person missing the good old days of weaponized fetch modii and Sburb shenanigans.  Well, apparently Hussie kinda does too, so maybe that'll be coming back around soon.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: July 30, 2010, 08:18:04 pm »

I gotta say, I actually preferred this at the beginning.

Glad to hear I'm not the only person missing the good old days of weaponized fetch modii and Sburb shenanigans.  Well, apparently Hussie kinda does too, so maybe that'll be coming back around soon.

Yeah.  There's the fact that a lot of the story is delivered via confusing animation, and the fact that the rest of it generally comes through nearly-illegible pesterlogs... and I can actually feel myself tensing up from the sheer amounts of rancor being flung around by the trolls.  Sure, I like them, but I miss the days of John being a dweeb and puppet piles.

EDIT: Yeah, the explicit "Hey, we're skipping all the funny/cool parts :D" is starting to piss me off.  Darker and edgier is not always better.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:28:50 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4611 on: July 30, 2010, 08:54:01 pm »

EDIT: Yeah, the explicit "Hey, we're skipping all the funny/cool parts :D" is starting to piss me off.  Darker and edgier is not always better.

To be fair, he wants the audience to have some inkling of what happened in Troll World and have some connection to the characters, without having to basically retell a story he hasn't finished telling yet, but with a dozen alien jackasses instead of four dweeby humans.  Probably a better decision in the end.  I'm still divided on whether the rise and fall of Pounce de Leon in two panels was a magnificent joke on his own writing style, or just plain cruel.

There was a time when that was the coolest thing ever seen, after watching John traipse around with a spring-ride, a can of shaving cream, and a claw hammer.  I'm hoping we get back to that scale of reference soon.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: July 30, 2010, 09:28:22 pm »

Seems like Andrew is trying to cover a lot of ground really quickly.

Hmm. This may have been a bit premature considering:

Quote from: mspaintadventures
But since we've decided to engage this epic in shorthand, you feel you must insist that we continue with this expository interlude.

Looks like we're getting spoonfed exposition for a bit, and then back to the trolls.

What a nice change of pace to actually be spoonfed exposition, instead of having to expend a ridiculous amount of effort just to get a basic grasp of what's going on.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: July 31, 2010, 12:09:40 am »

Double mobiusuibom elbuoDouble mobiusuibom elbuo
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:14:10 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: July 31, 2010, 12:56:28 am »

Cosbytop!

The quotes when those updates with John alchemizing came out:

Sweet new gear of awesome is awesome.

whoa, that umbrella is giving me Batman flash backs.

COSBYTOP

WHAT EVERY GROWING BOY NEEDS

I do believe he is:
WRINKLEFUCKER

Oh god John is now quad-wielding weapons XD

WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT HIS POWER LEVEL?
IT'S OVER BILL COSBY

So... Many... Awesome... Weapons!!!!!!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 01:01:18 am by ToonyMan »

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: July 31, 2010, 03:07:20 am »

The main purpose of this intermission is to characterize the trolls. The game itself doesn't matter that much, we already know how it ended: The trolls are in the veil, doomed to certain death, trolling the kids out of trollspite; The Midnight Crew was exiled; The Black Queen was exiled an somehow gained universe-ending powers. So, seeing Vriska toss Tavros off a cliff was important because it told us a lot about both Vriska and Tavros, whereas watching people prototype their kernelsprites and build their houses and alchemize weapons and fight imps isn't since that only brings the plot closer to its predetermined end. We already saw John do all that. We know how it happens.

And I don't think the pesterlogs are hard to read. Well, Doc Scratch you have to highlight, and Gamzee is kind of annoying, but others are easy.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: July 31, 2010, 03:28:53 am »

If any of these are disturbing or repeats I am sorry there's a lot.
Spoiler: image dump (click to show/hide)

I say nothing.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: July 31, 2010, 03:46:44 am »

Lagomorph?

FUCK YOU THAT'S MINE.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: July 31, 2010, 03:47:30 am »

Just saying, that Gamzee/Tavros is horrifying...
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: July 31, 2010, 03:51:01 am »

Sharing part of a chumhandle with that... thing, is going to irk the hell out of me from now on.

Also yes. Horrifying.
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 3524