Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5130031 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA: And then Dave was a pirate.
« Reply #2445 on: March 04, 2010, 04:30:31 pm »

It seemed to me that Spades Slick was just the Troll's world counter part to Jack Noir.  I was under the impression that WV was Jack Noir.

If this is correct then the queen is SnowMan's counterpart of the kid's world.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: March 04, 2010, 04:57:11 pm »

That makes sense.

What if the queen links all the time lines together? Hence why killing sn0wman would destroy the universe. What happens to her counterparts, which exist in all timelines, happens to her, presumably her actually dying would be catastrophic.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: March 05, 2010, 01:34:05 am »

Since "Peregrine Mendicant" was once known as "Parcel Mistress"
And "Aimless Renegade" used to be "Authority Regulator"

"Windswept Questant" must be the ousted "White Queen"

I'm posting it now so I can say "Totally called it!" in about 200 pages.

EDIT:
I just noticed, but all the conveyances for the Exiles have been the same as one of the items that brought one of the kids into the game. Peregrine Mendicant came in an Apple (John), Windswept Questant came in an Egg (Dave), Wayward Vagabond came in a cork that launched off of a bottle-shaped base (Rose). The only one that's been hidden has been Aimless Renegade, who was already seen in the tower,.. which fits since we don't know what Jade's object will be.

Also, the exile/ship launched from the site where the kid they are associated with lived, and whose object their conveyance was based on.

Also also, the gender of the exile is the opposite of the gender of the kid whose object their ship was based on.

OMG Patterns! My OCD is so very very happy right now.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:09:36 am by Solifuge »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: March 05, 2010, 02:24:13 am »

Scurrilous Straggler
Spades Slick

I do believe you are correct Solifuge.

Also we noticed the conveyances thing like 10 pages back :D

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: March 05, 2010, 02:29:30 am »

OMG Patterns! My OCD is so very very happy right now.

Good god why does it always seem like everyone on this forum have OCD or some other form of debilitating pattern-matching thing?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: March 05, 2010, 02:32:48 am »

Because the vast majority of DF's gameplay is OCD heaven.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: March 05, 2010, 02:36:20 am »

Because the vast majority of DF's gameplay is OCD heaven.

Is it?  Huh.  I'm not used to pattern-heaven outside of novels or mathematics.  Maybe I'll actually give the game a try, one of these days.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: March 05, 2010, 02:38:46 am »

Once you know how to avoid most of the stupid ways to lose DF, the game basically becomes a massive efficiency-wank.

Hell you just have to look at some of the elaborate fortresses people have built to tell that most of the DF Community suffer from severe OCD.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: March 05, 2010, 02:42:04 am »

Once you know how to avoid most of the stupid ways to lose DF, the game basically becomes a massive efficiency-wank.

Hell you just have to look at some of the elaborate fortresses people have built to tell that most of the DF Community suffer from severe OCD.

*shrug*  I just thought they liked building stuff and making it right.  Seems perfectly natural to me...

Of course, I'm a symmetry-obsessed fool, so what do I know.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: March 05, 2010, 03:10:41 am »

*shrug*  I just thought they liked building stuff and making it right.  Seems perfectly natural to me...

Of course, I'm a symmetry-obsessed fool, so what do I know.

That's basically a mild form of OCD.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: March 05, 2010, 03:14:18 am »

Heh... yeah, it pretty much is, Vector. :P

I think DF does attract a certain type of thinker/gamer perhaps, but I find that I mostly play it as a story-telling device and world-builder. I always pick civs with interesting histories, or worlds with the potential for interesting conflicts: ousted dwarf princes raised by goblins who become their military leaders, that sort of thing. I admit I tend to invent arbitrary geometric rules for my forts, like strict bilateral symmetry, fractals, or some repeating layout trend, but it's mostly something my brain does for entertainment when the bits normally devoted to multitasking get board.

That's one of the reasons I love MSPA: Andrew has this thing about patterns, even in the midst of some seriously excellent storytelling, which makes me happy in so many ridiculous, nigh-giddy ways. It flows so freely, and yet feels so pre-planned. He reminds me for all the world of a good GM running a tabletop game... it's Magical.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:16:33 am by Solifuge »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: March 05, 2010, 03:28:04 am »

.... Since when?  I do that sort of stuff as a refuge from anxiety... I mean, sure, people occasionally joke about me being "miss OCD," but I always just thought I was a little bit bonkers about patterns.

Next thing, you'll tell me that being a little bit bonkers about patterns is a mild form of OCD, too >_>

That's one of the reasons I love MSPA: Andrew has this thing about patterns, even in the midst of some seriously excellent storytelling, which makes me happy in so many ridiculous, nigh-giddy ways. It flows so freely, and yet feels so pre-planned. He reminds me for all the world of a good GM running a tabletop game... it's Magical.

Hmph >_>  Andrew Hussie drives me crazy, actually, because I've wasted hours drawing mental pictures of his narrative structures and I know I'll never actually be able to draw them up to share with anyone else (3-D and curvy >:().  It reminds me a bit of the stories I used to write, where the focus was more on making an obscenely patterned structure than anything else.

Oh, well.  You might try A Winter's Tale, by Mark Helprin.  It has a very interesting narrative structure, though I suggest reading it when un-stressed (it plays with symmetry, rather than adhering to it perfectly.  This can be difficult, unless you're anticipating the particular breaks).

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: March 05, 2010, 03:43:41 am »

.... Since when?  I do that sort of stuff as a refuge from anxiety... I mean, sure, people occasionally joke about me being "miss OCD," but I always just thought I was a little bit bonkers about patterns.

Next thing, you'll tell me that being a little bit bonkers about patterns is a mild form of OCD, too >_>

Yup.

OCD, like all psychological 'disorders' (i use the term lightly) comes in degrees. It can be as light as simply finding things that are clean or neat appealing, and it can be as heavy as obsessively reorganizing your entire house so that everything is just right and chainsawing someone in half because they knocked a pencil out of place.

On the whole, DF attracts people with at least some (and often more than some) OCD. Video Games in general tend to appeal to people with OCD, but DF more than most.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: March 05, 2010, 03:55:22 am »

WAIT FOR A SECOND THERE.

Vester hasn't played DF.
And is a member of B12games.

Uh... Am I the only person who is getting their OCD acting up over this? I mean... What The!

Oh, and if Dave's sprite turns out to be a raven ninja with a katana slung across it's back, a backwards cap and a shirt that says 'caw'.

I will be So happy.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: March 05, 2010, 04:55:13 am »

You'd be surprised how many non-DF players there are on the DF forums.
Pages: 1 ... 162 163 [164] 165 166 ... 3524