Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 3478 3479 [3480] 3481 3482 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5141126 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Homestuck
« Reply #52185 on: April 02, 2016, 04:47:00 pm »

Other than Jasprose I believe the only other major omission from the last set of updates is Tavros/GCat, who is presumably still asleep. So yeah there should be some kind of Game Over like Flash covering all 6 showdowns on the 6th.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #52186 on: April 02, 2016, 04:51:33 pm »

Hm, what if there was some kind of character select screen with 6 separate, smaller flashes? That actually seems kind of likely.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52187 on: April 02, 2016, 04:52:23 pm »

the obvious direction for the next update is to segue into Viceroy Bubbles Von Salamancer having a dance party with their undead army
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #52188 on: April 02, 2016, 09:44:46 pm »

so when did everyone else stop reading homestuck, only to be shocked back into action by the announcement of the 4/13 ending

honestly I think i totally lost interest in hs after the whole speakercrab/ghost dicks arc, but i'm starting to reread it now that I know it's finally fuckin over

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52189 on: April 02, 2016, 09:53:17 pm »

I stuck with it to the last, but I was tempted to drop it when John started retconning stuff.  Especially when... well, spoilers I guess.  But it had enough charm to keep me entertained anyway.  And kept jumping to other characters who were fun and intriguing.

I have loved every single thing Karkat or Dave have been involved in, including them butting heads, so your mileage may vary.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52190 on: April 02, 2016, 09:54:31 pm »

I never stopped, nor did I even consider stopping.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52191 on: April 02, 2016, 10:00:57 pm »

I never stopped, nor did I even consider stopping.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52192 on: April 02, 2016, 10:36:46 pm »

I... took a break.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52193 on: April 03, 2016, 12:16:59 am »

I quit at the completely arbitrary horseshit nature of Vriska's death, then reread/picked it up years later sometime after Game Over.

All I can say is I'm glad I wasn't around for Trickster, that would have probably made me quit for good.

They key to liking Homestuck is to not give a shit about Homestuck. The lack of fucks you give must fill an ocean, and the comic will suddenly be great.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #52194 on: April 03, 2016, 12:28:09 am »

no, the trick is to know what homestuck is and care about it for that reason instead of having weird notions about its nature

this is actually only a problem i see in dwarf fortress and homestuck, where people have these ideas of what it's all about that are not really consistent with the actual nature of the whole thing and then holler at the creator for doing things that way because they had different ideas of how the game/story is supposed to be than the developer/author

like, i can understand if it's not what you thought it was, but don't blame toady/hussie for that

I've always cared a great deal about Homestuck and stuff that happens in it and always completely accepted and enjoyed everything that happened along the way. Game Over had me laughing, almost, because I don't automatically assume Andrew Hussie is a shitty writer because of a low point in the story that I can't just continue on because I'm reading it serially holy shit.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 12:30:06 am by Putnam »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52195 on: April 03, 2016, 01:04:47 am »

At the time, as far as I knew, one of the (then) prime movers of the story had been killed off in a sight gag, for good.

Hivebent was the end of my first archive binge, where I'd spent a couple weeks getting caught up only to see a whole bunch of ancillary characters die for little apparent reason and as far as I knew the story I originally signed on for (the human kids) had gotten sidetracked in what looked like two nested derails.

Things look a whole hell of a lot different on this side of the plot, but I didn't know any of this from a hole in the ground and had no reason to be a Hussie apologist.

I like the story and characters a great deal, for the most part, but it has flaws here and there that I won't just ignore.

like, i can understand if it's not what you thought it was, but don't blame toady/hussie for that

This, however, makes it sound like you're trying to put all creators beyond reproach. I'm not sure where the disconnect is in the conversation.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #52196 on: April 03, 2016, 01:15:59 am »

the story I originally signed on for (the human kids) had gotten sidetracked in what looked like two nested derails.

Seesee, that's what I mean. The story you signed on for. That's not the story you signed on for. Homestuck is not that. It's not really valid criticism to say that it wasn't what you thought it was going to be when you started.

I'm not saying creators are beyond reproach, I'm saying that expecting (for example) Homestuck to be, specifically, a story about 4 kids or expecting Dwarf Fortress to be, specifically, a game about running a fortress of dwarves means that your criticisms are going to be based on a false premise and thus not particularly useful.

A good criticism would be something like spending so much damn time before introducing the retcon mechanic and taking so much damn time for the payoff from it, or spending so much damn time to explain the fundamental concept that permeates the entire theme of the game the comic is about (sburb roles representing the player's relationship with their platonic ideal oversoul, apparently). I mean, like, yeah, maybe it's supposed to be some great mystery and all and revealing it in the fourth to last update of Homestuck was appropriate timing, but it would've saved entire years of complaining about the big retcon, which somehow I never found annoying to begin with.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52197 on: April 03, 2016, 01:42:38 am »

Yeah. Looking at popular entertainment over the course of my lifetime (X-Files, Lost, BSG reboot, insert whatever else here) there's zero reason for me to have ever suspected any form of decay on a long-running story. How foolish and naive I was.

Regardless, that's pretty much what I meant when I said stop giving a shit. I stopped giving a shit about the poor pacing and nonsense like the Trickster forum in-joke or the troll romance fuckery or how arbitrary the unspoken rules of everything in the entire strip seem to be, and what's left isn't too bad. I've certainly read better, but I've read more that's much worse.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #52198 on: April 03, 2016, 10:30:45 am »

I think anybody who went into Homestuck expecting kids faffing about with Sburb never read Problem Sleuth.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52199 on: April 03, 2016, 10:59:32 am »

I think anybody who went into Homestuck expecting kids faffing about with Sburb never read Problem Sleuth.

You'd be correct, I had not.
Pages: 1 ... 3478 3479 [3480] 3481 3482 ... 3524