Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 2658 2659 [2660] 2661 2662 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5143483 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA Hiatustuck: [S] Dirk: Unite.
« Reply #39885 on: July 29, 2012, 02:34:45 pm »

One thing I still don't understand is that most of those shown getting vaporized were God Tier. Their deaths didn't seem Heroic OR Just at all. Maybe they were, or maybe the clock stops ticking when an invincible demon is introduced that not only kills them but blows up their universe and reduces them to nothingness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39886 on: July 29, 2012, 02:39:34 pm »

Pretty sure he broke REALITY. I don't think he has a problem with killing the unkillable.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39887 on: July 29, 2012, 02:41:24 pm »

Or perhaps it just doesn't work on already dead God Tiers..
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39888 on: July 29, 2012, 02:55:41 pm »

One thing I still don't understand is that most of those shown getting vaporized were God Tier. Their deaths didn't seem Heroic OR Just at all. Maybe they were, or maybe the clock stops ticking when an invincible demon is introduced that not only kills them but blows up their universe and reduces them to nothingness.

Well, they were dead. Immortality probably doesn't protect people who are already dead. Or he's might just be that goddamn powerful, which would raise the stakes a bit.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39889 on: July 29, 2012, 02:58:05 pm »

Or maybe Lord English, professional destroyer of universes, just Don't Give A Fuck about the "rules" of heroism.  Bear in mind, they were already dead.  They died heroic and/or just deaths, in the process of some failed timeline.  All LE did was wipe their lingering memories out of existence.

Wait, Typheus John got deaded? Awwwwww... now all Vriska has is Tavros...

And I'm sure we'd all still like to know whether any "alpha" personalities have been blown up, and how to tell which ones are which when we know they can change clothes in the afterlife.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39890 on: July 29, 2012, 03:01:28 pm »

Realization:

LE has a tendency to take in as his servant top shelf hos.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39891 on: July 29, 2012, 04:39:11 pm »

Lord English just blew up the afterlife.

LORD ENGLISH JUST BLEW UP THE AFTERLIFE. 0_0

And SS and PM share a dumbfounded aside glance when they find the huge fracture in spacetime where that dream bubble used to be. You know, I think there might be some power creep going on here. Remember back when Jackspers Noirlecrow was a genuine threat? Those were the days. I think the ending is going to be Hussie's author avatar setting everyone on fire, uttering some weird mysterious riddles to John and then a "==>" link back to the first page. Then a blog post where Hussie calls people names for not getting it.

Yeah, we seem to be getting a lot of "That was pretty impressive, but how did the characters know to do X?" in the more recent flashes. I hope for exposition soon! I mean, you know, after Puase 3.

Yes, it just makes no sense. They'd need some kind of way of seeing the future or sending messages backwards in time to orchestrate all this stuff. >:]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39892 on: July 29, 2012, 05:32:52 pm »

Calling it now: Caliborn = born of Cal.

Although it's already half true in a way.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #39893 on: July 29, 2012, 06:11:38 pm »

Who was told Calliopes name again? Jane or Roxy? I can't remember.

But I'm p sure they were declared Main main character right then and there.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39894 on: July 29, 2012, 06:12:47 pm »

Who was told Calliopes name again? Jane or Roxy? I can't remember.

But I'm p sure they were declared Main main character right then and there.

Roxy. Heheh. Typo'd twice typing that name.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #39895 on: July 29, 2012, 07:30:03 pm »

Yes, it just makes no sense. They'd need some kind of way of seeing the future or sending messages backwards in time to orchestrate all this stuff. >:]
I didn't say it makes no sense, just that I'd like to know how it happened. There are all sorts of existing mechanisms for explaining it, I agree, I'd just like to know which one was used (or if an entirely new one materialized, which is hardly without precedent).

Also, just noticed huge parallels between Doc Scratch and Calliope. Same weapon, both logical within-the-system thinkers, both act as guides of a sort to some humans, both have spacey powers...
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39896 on: July 29, 2012, 08:12:52 pm »

I've been having an idea bouncing around my skull about how an SBURB-esque game would work in real life. That is to say, obeying our laws of physics, that is to say, not actually a game that warps reality. An actual game, in other words.

Spoiler: Long Rambling (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #39897 on: July 29, 2012, 08:23:34 pm »

I think the most difficult part beyond that, AC, would be the supremely sophisticated Radiant AI you would need. The monarchs, Jack and his lackeys, and the denizens would all need very good programming, and likely they would need to have the ability to randomize and change their plans with every session. On top of that, these plans would have to be visualized so that Prospit dreamers could catch glimpses of them through the clouds. Since there is no way to predict what the players will do, clouds and horroterror hints would likely involve glimpses of ways to and locations to earn more power, or hints as to what the bad guys are scheming.

Then, of course, there's the matter of Exiles... and what the game will do if you Scratch it...
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39898 on: July 29, 2012, 08:36:32 pm »

Ah yes, AI. The AI could actually be easier than that. Mostly, the game constructs are reactive rather than proactive, with the possible exception of agents, and even they are more reactive. Clouds and horrorterrors would probably give hints for quests and shit, and maybe glimpses into what other players are doing, and maybe some background things that none of the players are themselves aware of. I actually kind of completely forgot about dreaming stuff.

Exiles would be easier, basically you'd get talked at by them soon after entering the Medium. It would possibly use the same algorithm that creates the Sprite hints, but more direct. The game would either heavily hint at who or what you're meant to Exile, or would subtly lead the players toward a chain of events that Exiles them automatically. Beyond the talking at you part of things, the Exiles are basically non-entities. As for Scratching, that's easier. It would just be a hard reset. Your players would be switched around with the game created Ancestors, and other parts of the internal logic that created the session would be switched around. Basically, the controller would save some parts and then recreate the game world from scratch, keeping those parts it saved the same.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #39899 on: July 29, 2012, 08:41:48 pm »

The real trick is time shenanigans; anything other than that is relatively trivial. For time shenanigans, you either need to rule out player-player interaction, keep player-player communication to pre-scripted messages, or go the Achron way (have the player go back in time, essentially creating a separate time-stream and starting from where the interaction took place).
Pages: 1 ... 2658 2659 [2660] 2661 2662 ... 3524