Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5123900 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA: Check.
« Reply #3690 on: June 12, 2010, 04:17:38 pm »

If they were taken down, they are no longer for sale, therefor there are no lost sales, and it's indie online, and the artist acted in a way we dissprove. There are no of the normal arguments why such giving would be bad still applying.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: June 12, 2010, 04:31:09 pm »

Where's your avatar from Dragnar?
Calvin and Hobbes. Read it. Now.

Oh I know what Calvin and Hobbes is.

Oooooh, it's Tracer Bullet. I thought it was a lizard or something.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: June 12, 2010, 04:45:19 pm »

I heard about this back when it happened in late April on the forums. The guy just posted a rant out of nowhere, everyone else was kind of like "uh what?" and then Andrew was like "uh what?" Basically he was unimpressed with the process (and was possibly posting his stuff elsewhere) and lashed out pretty hard when people told him not to, condemning everything related to the process as well. Judging by his MySpace post there, he expected Andrew to walk him step-by-step through every storyboard panel with a good gist of the kind of thing he wanted, and when he didn't get that, he got really really mad. From the looks of it every artist music and art-wise in the project got a very, very general idea of what Andrew wanted for the comic, but Bolin got furious that he wasn't getting a more hands-on step-by-step approach. I don't really see the problem myself, since I compose music like a lot of the Homestuck stuff myself and being told "about this long, kinda like this" isn't a big deal for me at all. I do understand him getting frustrated at the implied non-disclosure thing but he really didn't pick a very good way to deal with his issues.

But yeah, sad to see all his stuff gone despite good reason for it. At least we still have Bowman and Radiation.

Also Armok, stop trying to justify things in a way that benefits you all the time. The guy's stuff getting taken down from Homestuck doesn't make it free. Bolin's already been shown to be overprotective about it anyhow.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: June 12, 2010, 04:48:46 pm »

Yeah, it's sad when people deal with things like this in the worst way. It'd probably be better if he wasn't so vehement about it. People are more willing to listen then.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: June 12, 2010, 08:51:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can see where he is coming from, even if I have to support AH at the end after thinking about it.

I'd imagine AH was more than happy to give his artists the artistic liscence that most people desire. Perhaps the problem came from not enough feedback to the musician. When you spend hours of your time on a song, asking for feedback and getting in return, yeah its good keep up the work, is almost disappointing. The point of asking feedback is to make sure the parts of the song that you've made are acceptable, and what should be changed, and what should be added. It really requires a lot of in depth time from the person giving the feedback.  However in the end the way AH seems to do it really would be preferable to me at least, rather than working on things for a few hours and checking to be sure it's what he he is looking for.

Also, the fact that AH is willing to do a storyboard design to fit the music instead of the other way around is simply amazingly effective to me. It really limits the need for feedback required.

My unaffiliated guess would simply be that the musician kept asking for AH's feedback and wasn't happy with what he got in return. Making music is extremely time consuming on a computer, or at least the way I do it is, and I can't really blame either side on this. The musician simply wanted to be sure he was "doing it right." if it's what I assume, while AH was too busy to give the in-depth feedback that really makes a Musician sure he is spending his time correctly. or something.

Also, with less feedback the chance of spending time making something that doesn't fit increases, and it's annoying to have to start over or take out parts because you made something that, while not sounding bad, just doesn't work.

It's sort of like digging a hole while your boss is in his office, and if you dig in the wrong spot on accident and he doesn't check up on you, you still have to dig the second hole when he does realize it's not going to work.

I should repeat this, in AH's defense he's said he plans some storyboards according to the music. I don't know if that's what he usually does for the flash parts or just that one, but it's pretty freaking sweet from my digital musicians point of view. It would mean I wouldn't have to worry so much about the structure of a song and could just let it ride from mild to intense and back and be able to assume it will work within reason as long as it is a good song.

Also, it could all be tied into the record sales. A disagreement in that is extremely easy way for something like this to happen.

That said, maybe I could try sending him my slow backwards song once I get around to finishing it. I actually only have to finish work on fine tuning one song and I'll be able to make 4 different versions (fast, slow, backwards fast, backwards slow)

I wouldn't even ask for any kind of deal on the CD, it would be a great reference and that would be enough for me. Maybe I'd ask for a contract that states after a million copies sold I get $x amount. That way if it gets super famous I get compensated while AH won't have to worry about accounting his percentages and can spend his time making sweet comics.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: June 12, 2010, 09:54:38 pm »

Actually, Bolin was going to get money from the album sales, but he was angry that his music had gone up since apparently he wasn't aware that was going to happen (though how after the first album or two he didn't figure it out for the third and fourth I don't know).

I agree with your thoughts on it, Duuvian, but I think the collaborative part was supposed to be among the other musicians rather than between the musicians rather than between individual musicians and Andrew. They have a hidden subforum where they work and share their ideas. While I think Bolin was confused about the whole thing, having read a few of Andrew's forum posts on the subject it seemed like Bolin attacked him in PM rather than clearly stating what his problem was, and Andrew didn't actually know what he was mad about. Then Bolin went on a few forum rampages and Andrew had to ban him and remove all his posts because he was just being rude and posting pictures of him flipping off his webcam. So the problems Bolin was having could've been dealt with better if Bolin hadn't gone e-Hulk on everyone.

Also, Act 5 is up, but it took me like ten minutes to get through it. The site is crazy bogged down. Interested in seeing what's going to keep happening though.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA: How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love the Trolls
« Reply #3696 on: June 12, 2010, 10:04:03 pm »

Troll backstory, I can hear Aqizzar crying.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: June 12, 2010, 10:10:58 pm »

Earth, also for convenient reference, is a planet that does not yet exist.
Not YET exist? This seems to imply that the trolls are not from an alternate universe at all, but merely the distant past. Which complicates their temporal meddling even more...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: June 12, 2010, 10:15:37 pm »

I don't know where you got the idea they were from another universe. It was pretty clear the trolls were aliens.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: June 12, 2010, 10:22:56 pm »

I assumed they were due to them talking about how their timeline is independent of earth's. Though I suppose since they are still in skaia their home world's location doesn't matter much...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: June 12, 2010, 10:51:53 pm »

I thought the trolls were from after Earth's destruction? I mean, sure Skaia isn't exactly linear timewise, but they still said their world got screwed up because of actions that had already happened...
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: June 12, 2010, 11:04:57 pm »

Perhaps they have superlong lifespans and look exactly the same before and after the earth sburb events? Or just crazy time jumping, probably more likely.

Also, would you folks recommend I read the supersized recaps? I've been putting them off since they're dauntingly large, but I suspect they may reveal bits I hadn't caught before. But they are daunting.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:06:29 pm by kinseti »

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: June 12, 2010, 11:19:00 pm »

Oh God, he's using fake science words. I hope he doesn't keep this up for too long.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: June 13, 2010, 12:05:46 am »

Perhaps they have superlong lifespans and look exactly the same before and after the earth sburb events? Or just crazy time jumping, probably more likely.

Also, would you folks recommend I read the supersized recaps? I've been putting them off since they're dauntingly large, but I suspect they may reveal bits I hadn't caught before. But they are daunting.

After reading it things make more sense and I understand some of the events better.
It's not required, but if you have some free time go for it.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: June 13, 2010, 01:19:30 am »

Glad Andrew didn't let the fans pick names picked an actually vaguely alien-sounding name on this one. According to the MSPA forums, some forumites were banding together to get regular names like Andy and Chad for the trolls as soon as the suggestion boxes opened.

I'm intrigued by this 'six' thing though. More interesting considering we've only seen like maybe 5 trolls anyhow.

e- apparently the suggestions forum still exists.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:52:06 am by Retro »
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 3524