Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

chocolate

pudding
pops

Pages: 1 ... 1788 1789 [1790] 1791 1792 ... 3524

Author Topic: MSPA Homestuck  (Read 5115692 times)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: MSPA: it's 6/12 everybody put their horns and hOnKs on
« Reply #26835 on: June 16, 2011, 06:04:51 pm »

But... but... but...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That sound you just heard? That was the sound of my pancreas screaming "I quit!" and leaving my body in search of one that won't work it to death. That is so cute. Damn it, Gamzee, why did you have to kill them?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26836 on: June 16, 2011, 06:10:43 pm »

Damn it, Gamzee, why did you have to kill them?
Because Hussie said so.

And Hussie was ordered to do that by Satan.

Who is commanded by Harry Potter.

Who is advised by me.

[img]MINIMUM TROLLING!.png[\img]
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26837 on: June 16, 2011, 06:11:33 pm »

I don't care how cute she's acting now, I don't trust her or like her.  She killed her friends, maimed them, etc., etc.  I feel like Hussie is sort of making excuses.  She did things recently which, for me, place her in the entirely irredeemable pile.

It's not a matter of Vriska "being cute" all of the sudden. I'm rooting for her because, out of a cast of characters who have mostly served as vehicles to tell jokes, she's taken decisive action in the plot and has developed a lot as a character. It probably doesn't help that she's a misguided but well-intentioned trickster, which is among my favorite heroic archetypes.

I agree that she's done absolutely reprehensible things through the story, but as opposed to the cardboard cutout villainy of Jack or Eridan (I am homicidal because I have been programmed to hate/lack self esteem, respectively), she means well by it, has shown regret for her actions several times, and when confronted with the reality of her past seeks to change tack. She's competent and badassed, but instead of the godlike untouchability of Dave, she has been known to trip up and pay for it (in lost trust, friendship, and even lives).

Vriska is a dynamic character who manages to simultaneously be funny and terrifying, and sympathetic while reprehensible. I certainly don't think she's trustworthy (not unless she proved her intentions with some appropriate actions), but she's definitely one of the most self-aware characters in the cast, and surpasses John in having come the farthest as a character.

To conclude my Spiderspiel, I don't think anyone is beyond redemption so long as they are aware of the gravity of their past actions, and honestly work to change their ways.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:14:52 pm by Solifuge »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26838 on: June 16, 2011, 06:14:58 pm »

I suppose the difference between us is that I never found Vriska in the least bit funny or sympathetic.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

applesauce machine

• Bay Watcher
  • 2011 Memory Ln.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26839 on: June 16, 2011, 06:23:33 pm »

No because Darvi isn't an imaginary comic book character.
Or am I...?
THE GOVERNMENT IS PUTTING BIBLES IN THE WATER SUPPLY.
Sigtext x 20 and avatar gallery

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26840 on: June 16, 2011, 06:27:01 pm »

I think Vriska has a chance for redemption because of how she grew up. Troll culture has no sympathy for the lives of the weak, a highblood troll is expected to blaze through life with no concern for anybody else. She was expected to grow up like Mindfang, manipulating others and killing off those who got in her way for the entertainment value. Her musings even hinted that the game itself was playing by these rules, showing a huge influence for her to be Bluh Bluh everywhere all the time. But she cares about her companions and feels remorse about everything that has happened. She doesn't embrace the life she was given and doesn't know where to go. Considering that there was no support for this other than the kids and she still wants to go against her upbringing I would see her redeemed.

She could also die from the vices she has, which would leave a wonderfully tragic taste to the story. It seems to be the present course of action, but I'm still holding onto the chance that she makes things right in her life for once.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26841 on: June 16, 2011, 06:46:42 pm »

I'm all for a tragic death/redemption death for Ms. Serket, which would be wonderfully melancholy since I have this tenuous love/hate relationship with aformentioned troll (SHE KILLED TAVROS/Oh wow her life sucked).

Besides, I do have to agree with Vector that in my mind, she's past redeeming herself and living, anyhoo.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26842 on: June 16, 2011, 06:49:18 pm »

Vriska... manages to simultaneously be funny and terrifying, and sympathetic while reprehensible.

Duke, you pretty much hit the sympathetic/redemption note for me. Also consider that, through just the circumstances of her birth, her only caretaker and family happened to be a flesh-eating monster. Out of a mix of love and necessity, she was forced to grow up committing homicide; the alternative is that she kill her "mother" and herself through inaction. Considering the expectations put on her through her childhood and upbringing, and a basic desire to survive and be successful, it's pretty cool that she was able to step beyond that, or even feel remorse at all.

Also, in regard to the funny bit, she's definitely had moments of wit. That aside, I hope I'm not the only one who sees threatening someone with their own severed legs with a certain dark humor (P.S. considering it's Tavros we're talking about, there's a pun there).

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26843 on: June 16, 2011, 07:20:19 pm »

Personally, I think it's wrong for her to be feeling bad about killing Tavros.
She has rich cultural values of her own, she shouldn't be throwing them away for human values!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26844 on: June 16, 2011, 07:23:17 pm »

It was around when she started shaking him in his wheelchair that I lost any desire to relate to her or see her happy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26845 on: June 16, 2011, 07:23:58 pm »

That aside, I hope I'm not the only one who sees threatening someone with their own severed legs with a certain dark humor (P.S. considering it's Tavros we're talking about, there's a pun there).

You aren't the only one. I still find that scene hilarious.

Soli, you're line about how you think no one is beyond redemption best sums up how I feel about this. I honestly think that anyone can be redeemed, as long as they want to change for the better, and I want Vriska to live so she can have a chance to redeem herself.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #26846 on: June 16, 2011, 07:32:42 pm »

It was around when she started shaking him in his wheelchair that I lost any desire to relate to her or see her happy.

Really?

I thought that was one of her finest moments.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26847 on: June 16, 2011, 07:35:27 pm »

Good to see everyone's still talking about my second favorite midnight murderlady, because I drew fan art of her.

Yes, I am aware that she only got the robot arm when she lost her vision eightfold, but whatever. It looks cool. 8)

Anyway, I still maintain that Vriska is badass. She's a hero in the traditional Greek sense of being capable of epic feats of violence. Maybe if Tavros didn't want to get crippled, he should have put up a less pitiable defense against Vriska's mind control.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26848 on: June 16, 2011, 07:39:50 pm »

Maybe if Tavros didn't want to get crippled, he should have put up a less pitiable defense against Vriska's mind control.

This was always a constant problem, and it's sorta why I can see Vector not seeing any redeemable value to Vriska. This argument came up when both characters first appeared, and it's still around now. It's just as infuriatingly retarded as it always was.

But them I have to remember that her fans are far worse than she ever was.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26849 on: June 16, 2011, 07:46:39 pm »

Oh god nepeta's face.
The loathing.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita
Pages: 1 ... 1788 1789 [1790] 1791 1792 ... 3524