Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Questions for Yanlin  (Read 2134 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Questions for Yanlin
« on: July 29, 2009, 02:38:31 pm »

I don't know how much of this you know particularly if you still live with your family, but share your knowledge whatever it is. How much do the following kinds of things generally cost in Israel? In shekels is fine.

-Optometrist visits
-Contact lenses
-Contact solution
-other miscellaneous and necessary personal hygiene products (toothpaste, soap, shampoo, dental floss, that type of thing)
-A pair of jeans
-A nice shirt
-Cell phone service per month (also, what companies are over there, how good is the coverage, and can Americans that come over generally keep their same cell phone plans)

List will be updated as I think of stuff. Obviously anybody else who lives or has lived in Israel or the occupied territories can contribute too.
Reason: I'm planning to go over and volunteer for probably some kind of environmental and/or peacebuilding NGO and I'm trying to figure out a budget

I guess stuff is way cheaper in the West Bank which is where I'm trying to go but still I got to know
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for Yanlin
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »

The title is VERY misleading.

Anyway, I'll list them in order.

-No idea.
-No idea.
-No idea.
-Depends on the brand. But 100 NIS should be more than enough for all of them.
-VERY overpriced. Don't buy jeans. Just don't.
-I never bought a shirt that cost me more than 50 NIS. But I just hate spending money.
-No idea what-so-ever.

I'm not the right person to ask about this stuff.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:45:48 pm »

Well, you're the only internet person I know from Israel.

Also, 100 NIS for a pair of jeans is hardly overpriced...that's a CHEAP pair of jeans in America. Then again most shit is more expensive here.

Oh Jesus

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 12:05:11 am »

Exactly how much is an NIS to a USD again?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:21:32 am »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 05:48:52 am »

lol, currency can be so misleading.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 05:50:40 am »

Also, 100 NIS for a pair of jeans is hardly overpriced...that's a CHEAP pair of jeans in America. Then again most shit is more expensive here.

Try that again. I said hygiene stuff will cost you that much. Jeans... Yeah, that could run you up 400 NIS.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 06:08:00 am »

Try that again. I said hygiene stuff will cost you that much. Jeans... Yeah, that could run you up 400 NIS.
What, 100 USD?  Are you sure there aren't, you know, cheaper versions?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 07:06:05 am »

Israel doesn't have reject clothing outlets and discount warehouses?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 07:14:28 am »

What, 100 USD?  Are you sure there aren't, you know, cheaper versions?

Israel doesn't have reject clothing outlets and discount warehouses?

Well OF COURSE there are cheaper versions. I bought my jeans for $13 by buying discount. End season and all that crap.

But he was asking about "GOOD" jeans. I assumed he meant brand jeans. Those cost WAY TOO MUCH.

Incidentally, it's NORMAL to wear shoes that cost $170. Fuck that. My shoes cost me $25. I've been wearing them for over a year now (I have NO IDEA why they still fit... It's a mystery.) maybe 2.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 10:24:19 am »

Actually, by good I meant quality utilitarian ones that will last. If I want to get laid I really just need...well, it's Israel, so I probably don't need a whole lot. There are no rules there.

Also, bus fares are usually mad cheap right? Like from city to city?

Oh Jesus

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 12:19:46 pm »

Actually, by good I meant quality utilitarian ones that will last. If I want to get laid I really just need...well, it's Israel, so I probably don't need a whole lot. There are no rules there.

Pro-tip: It's bad manners to imply that a whole culture/area is Loose Suzie's, even if it is true. It's like pointing out that you know your brother's new girlfriend from the strip club, during the middle of an otherwise nice dinner.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 12:48:51 pm »

Bad manners or not, I've been there, and Holy Shit.

Oh Jesus

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 01:30:19 pm »

Pro-tip: It's bad manners to imply that a whole culture/area is Loose Suzie's, even if it is true. It's like pointing out that you know your brother's new girlfriend from the strip club, during the middle of an otherwise nice dinner.

Bad manners my ass. He's 100% right.

As for bus fares, yes. Fucking cheap. But it's a nightmare to figure out. I think they should just nationalize the whole public transportation network.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!