Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What would you do with a room full of HFS?  (Read 1071 times)

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What would you do with a room full of HFS?
« on: July 29, 2009, 11:34:41 am »

Original topic title: Mini-collapse to seal a chamber without constructions [HFS]

My plan is to have a completely natural cavern into which to lure the HFS out of the pretty blue stuff I want to mine. I can approach it from any direction but I'm also making a heavy consideration to the destructibility of anything that is 'closeable' remotely from behind them. I want them alive and contained for dumping whole sieges of goblins into. There do not appear to be any flying types in the group.

My only real option to save any and all dwarves from any danger (Catch 22 that you risk a legendary mason to build a wall to save the rest of the fortress from certain tentacleing) would appear to be a natural rock drop. So the question lies: How can I make an entryway to this ?x?y1z chamber in such a way as to permit a support connected to a lever to drop the natural rock 1z above into the entryway. The issue would center then on removing the floor 1z above where it is adjacent to the rock intended to be dropped without removing the corridor below it.

So for the cross-sectional front-view below:

X is natural rock
_ is dug out, floor present
| is a support with a lever far away

_XXX_ z+1
X_|_X z+0

How can I remove the floors on z+1 without removing the walls on feahiopfvaew...

I may have just solved my own problem: construct floors over the natural floors and then remove the construction. As long as the natural rock will fall properly and predictably it should block them in perfectly. I've also engineered a collapse to destroy the stairs to this level.

Topic change: What would you do with a room full of contained HFS?

Jeff Carr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JeffCarr.info
Re: What would you do with a room full of HFS?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 12:21:13 pm »

I would first carve the room into a circle or oval, and then make stadium seating above and around it, a few z levels high. 

On one side of the circle, in the ceiling, would be a floor grate in a room full of cats and kittens.  Pulling a lever would drop kittens into the arena, luring the demons to that side, and creating the pre game show.  On the opposite side of the arena, at ground level I'd create an adjoining room to dump hordes of captured orcs and goblins.  The openings to this room (one to the arena, and one to the fortress) would be sealed by two pipes of magma, and two of water, which would reseal the openings with natural obsidian.

Dump the kittens on the one side to distract the demons, and channel out the opening on the other, and in come the fighters!  If any demons get left in the holding chamber, dump more kittens to pull them back out, seal it back up, and resume refilling it with goblins/orcs/hippos.  For an added bonus, you could fill it with water and carp or merpeople if you found a way to trap them.
Well I've finally found a signature

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 12:25:56 pm »

Solution to this. Close off the original entrance to HFS. Make a large chamber in front of your defenses in which, sieges must go through. Make it very very large. Put floodgates in the entrance and exit to said chamber. Attach levers. Dig a corridor from said chambger to said HFS and install a magma (if you have, if you don't water) trap in the corridor and leave it on at all times. When you wish to unleash HFS, turn off the magma/water flow and they should flood into the chamber that you closed the gob/elf/human siege into with the floodgates I mentioned earlier. Profit. This only works once.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Kallemort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 03:20:37 pm »

I didn't know HFS guys attack other hostiles?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 03:25:49 pm »

HFS will attack anything Except each other, for some reason.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 03:27:31 pm »

So if you embark on a gobbo tower, and open HFS, they won't kill the demon controlling the tower?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 03:32:55 pm »

HFS will attack anything Except each other, for some reason.

Note that although SoF won't deliberately attack other HFS, they'll almost certainly incinerate them just from standing too close.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 03:34:33 pm »

The demon probably did come from HFS though.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 05:02:32 pm »

To be honest, I'd toss Morul in there.

Probably wouldn't result in the outcome you're looking for, however.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 05:08:37 pm »

Or Captain Ironblood (Whoever the guy is, people say he is legendary)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 10:30:45 pm »

Well, there's legendary, and then there's legendary.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 12:08:14 am »

Well, there's legendary, and then there's legendary.

Lawd, you just got dwarfed!
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".