Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best layout for a huge TC farm?  (Read 1742 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best layout for a huge TC farm?
« on: July 29, 2009, 08:24:26 am »

Okay, I have done a TC farm before, but it was tiny by comparison, something like 40x30, however the area that I have dug out is 159x159, give or take a few. I'm still dumping out the stone into an adjectant bottomless pit and I have my dwarves on warp factor 10 ([speed:0]) to make things go faster. Still about 10,000 stones to go, down from something like 23,000, minus about a thousand rounded to account for stones used in flooring and other stuff.

I'll upload it to DFFD later so you guys can get the scale and layout. Also, centered at 42 tiles from the left side, I have a pair of wall alcoves (one on each opposite sides) jutting out to serve as an airlock and establishing a highway through the chamber, of which I already have set down a high traffic zone for.

Basically it looks like this:
Code: [Select]
            +D+D+
           +      +
========      =======

= is natural wall, + is constructed wall, and D is door. This is mirrored on the other side and there are stairs in the main corridor, just not shown.

Edit: Okay, the coding thing is bieng wierd on me. Think of it a box with one side removed, not the wierd whatever the coding is doing.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:26:28 am by smjjames »

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best layout for a huge TC farm?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:56:02 am »

I see the code, though with the alcove a bit off,understand what your farm looks like, and would just like to share a small hint(Be it for you, or for anyone who finds this thread using the search function).

Make paved roads of to have the dwarves go over(High traffic zone, roads won't let things grow on them), so they don't trample the towercaps and bushes, a dead bush means nothing will grow there, which is a waste of space.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:00:19 am »

I haven't made the place muddy yet, I'm waiting to clear out the rock before I do this. I meant to say DFMA, and will upload that soon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:08:46 am »

Make paved roads of to have the dwarves go over(High traffic zone, roads won't let things grow on them), so they don't trample the towercaps and bushes, a dead bush means nothing will grow there, which is a waste of space.

Do stockpiles still prevent trees and bushes from growing?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 11:19:13 am »

Yes, but I have no intent of using my TC farm as any kind of mass storage. Might put some wood stockpiles along the 'highway' though.

Edit: Oh yea, linky to the DFMA map:

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6561-sunmetal

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 12:19:13 pm »

I find that smaller (say, 50X50) farms, expanded over multiple floors, are better. It means less walking to any one tree.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 12:39:27 pm »

I desginate a grid of high traffic over a mass low traffic area, keeps them on the paths. I don't worry about building walkways or anything, if a tree grows in the path (unlikely with the tramping), it'll get routed around just fine.

Do not constructed floors also get muddy?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 12:50:43 pm »

I prefer multiple floors myself.

Harvest one floor at a time, like maybe one floor per year. Alternate floors so the tower caps will have plenty of time to grow and mature. You won't have to worry about trampling them at all.

However be sure to also harvest shrubs at the same time your wood cutters move in, otherwise the shrubs will crowd out the tower caps.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 08:29:04 pm »

Comment: the [code.] tags make all characters equal width. So 5 spaces will have the same width as, say, 5 full stops. I'd say period, but it's an unfortunate turn of phrase, really.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:43:23 am by Firnagzen »
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 04:59:04 am »

Code: [Select]
       +D+D+
       +   +
========   =======

Like this?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 05:58:36 am »

Yea that's what I meant to do with the code thing and I didn't realize about the equal width thing.

Anyways, my actual question hasn't been answered yet, I'm wondering what sort of layout I should use for such a huge TC farm as it's my first massive one. I don't have any plans on making a second level. Thanks for the tips so far though.

I'm waiting for the chamber to drain out atm, it's taking forever and a half to drain, even with two outlets.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:00:49 am by smjjames »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 06:30:53 am »

Comment: the [code.] tags make all characters equal width. So 5 spaces will have the same width as, say, 5 full stops. I'd say period, but it's an unfortunate turn of phrase, really.

What exactly is wrong with saying period?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 06:59:40 am »

As a right-pondian, I associate it with feminine biological functions (when not used to define other time-lengths, of course).  This might be the association that comes to mind.  Apart from giggly children, I imagine it's really not an issue for left-pondians, due to their overwhelming use of the term.

The alternative is that as "period" implies a 'length' (in time), not a termination of a length (of time), that a series of full-stops isn't five 'cycles', but a single span.

When it comes to using the {code} tag, which you have now used succesfully, your trouble arose because this text-input box (in most, but not all, browsers; due to the default font/font-class used for these textarea boxes) exclusively uses a proportional font, and so you cannot see what your {code}-output will be like without a Preview every now and then to make sure.

I tend to compose diagrams in Notepad, or whatever linux text editor I have available to me if I'm on that platform.  That's gives me the freedom to work with it as fixed-width.  Though as I don't mind sticking to fixed-width for all other text-composition I suppose I could change the browser defaults to make the fixed-width get used for the various input elements as well.

{Hmm, had to edit due to the belief that this forum, like others that I have used, would leave {code} tags (but with []s) alone and treat as literals if not partnered by a {/code} one (likewise), but it shoved on at the end to 'clean up' the tags...  Handy.  Except when you don't want it to do that. :)}
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:21:32 am by Starver »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 07:02:00 am »

Hey! Can we get back on topic people!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 07:07:50 am »

As a right-pondian, I associate it with feminine biological functions (when not used to define other time-lengths, of course).  This might be the association that comes to mind.  Apart from giggly children, I imagine it's really not an issue for left-pondians, due to their overwhelming use of the term.

The alternative is that as "period" implies a 'length' (in time), not a termination of a length (of time), that a series of full-stops isn't five 'cycles', but a single span.

When it comes to using the -snip- tag, which you have now used succesfully, your trouble arose because this text-input box (in most, but not all, browsers; due to the default font/font-class used for these textarea boxes) exclusively uses a proportional font, and so you cannot see what your -snip--output will be like without a Preview every now and then to make sure.

I tend to compose diagrams in Notepad, or whatever linux text editor I have available to me if I'm on that platform.  That's gives me the freedom to work with it as fixed-width.  Though as I don't mind sticking to fixed-width for all other text-composition I suppose I could change the browser defaults to make the fixed-width get used for the various input elements as well.

Ahh I see. Here, at least where I've lived most of my adult life, we use it for all three meanings but context determines which we mean and we don't feel that its primary definition refers to the moonflow.

As to the bit about composing diagrams in notepad or a linux text editor, it's my understanding that most text editors (Open Office and MS Office I know from personal experience) have at least one fixed-length font, sometimes several, and you can always install one.

Sorry, that's my last off-topic.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:09:37 am by forsaken1111 »
Pages: [1] 2