Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325662 times)

BManx2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #885 on: October 26, 2009, 05:54:02 pm »

I just found out about this yesterday. It is indeed awesome.
Anyway, here is a bug report/feature request:
You probably already know this, but I was making some mechanical models when I found that screw pumps and horizontal axles (and probably some other buildings) don't work right. If you fix that, I could post the models when I finish them.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: October 27, 2009, 04:09:53 am »

That would be great! I haven't really tested larger buildings much, what exactly was the problem?

And I've fixed the bug with walls/fortifications in the dev version.

I've just built a new gaming PC so this project is a little on hold while I catch up with some AAA gaming but I'll be getting on with it soon enough.

BManx2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 27, 2009, 06:00:53 pm »

The problem with screw pumps is simply that they always face north. Now that I think about it, water wheels probably also suffer from this problem. Horizontal axles do this too, with the additional problem that they only show one model no matter how long they are. The other large buildings should be fine, since I made a quick windmill model and it worked.

BManx2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 28, 2009, 12:05:49 am »

Question: How would I enable alpha transparency on my model?

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 28, 2009, 04:41:29 am »

Question: How would I enable alpha transparency on my model?
That's a complicated question.

If you're running without shaders it might not be possible, sorry. I had to disable it due to a bug that I've since fixed.

If you have shaders on then it depends on a few other factors:
- If you mean alpha blending (ie translucent glass) then for buildings it's based on the type of material it's made from. Glass buildings will appear translucent, stone ones will not. If you have several materials in the model then you assign the other material definitions yourself (see the bed in objects.csv) and you can make them transparent by setting the colour in the .mat file. The format used is 0xAABBGGRR, where AA is the hexidecimal alpha.
- If you mean alpha masking then this is decided by the application and can't be changed. Again, this is fixed for the next version.

badoli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 30, 2009, 06:50:39 am »

Heya... I've read through this whole (by now monster of a) thread and there was a poly problem with the bowery. I took the obj and updated it without asking (i hope the creator doesn't mind ::) ) and created some new textures (the copper texture was quite huge)...

I ended up with less than half the polycount (around 850 now) but more details, so i hope you people like it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OBJ file
3D MAX file (ver. 2009)

I haven't tested it with VF yet, as i have a slight hangover and can't figure out how it works yet... Maybe after another coffee...
Edit: Have tried it now, the OBJ import is quite picky about several things. It doesn't like exported normals, but rather seems to calculate the normals from the sequence of the vertices and that's something the max exporter isn't to keen on doing correctly. And my objects it mirrored, so the vice is on the left side in VF. And i guess trying TGA-files for textures was a stupid idea from me  ;D

Anyways, i'll continue to try.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:40:37 am by badoli »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 30, 2009, 11:27:51 am »

I grow weary of the slow, low fps construction happening at my fort of Somkosoth... So I have decided to end the fort, after making a backup of course. Here is one final image of it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 31, 2009, 01:30:31 pm »

yeeeehAAAA! nice one, you even got a stargate... ya should built one in every fort you have in that world, so your dwarves are able to travel around at fast pace, at leat if they know the right lever combination... if not, well. FIERY DEATH!!!!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 01, 2009, 10:07:09 pm »

So is there a way to save these cameras settings?  I want to do a shot from the same location over the course of several years for a succession fort, but as soon as I quit I lose the location

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 01, 2009, 11:55:02 pm »

So is there a way to save these cameras settings?  I want to do a shot from the same location over the course of several years for a succession fort, but as soon as I quit I lose the location

You need a point_devshot_camera in your map and then run with the -makedevshots parameter.

</bad joke>

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 02, 2009, 03:54:04 am »

There's some Visual Fortress shots of a fortress i ran in a 5 year challenge here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Squirrelloid/BL_Survival_Challenge#Megaproject:_Cathedral

First images are the DF composite floorplans of the bottom few floors.  Next set of images are 3dwarf.  And the last set of images are Visual Fortress.  There's a lot of similar shots between the 3dwarf and the Visual Fortress, so you can compare and contrast - i love the color rendering of Visual Fortress!

(I do get some maps that simply barf when trying to render in Visual Fortress but work just fine in 3dwarf.  For some reason both challenges i'm playing that have modded raws mess up Visual Fortress so i get this mass of polygons obscuring the terrain and that clearly don't belong to anything in the game...)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 02, 2009, 07:05:13 am »

There's some Visual Fortress shots of a fortress i ran in a 5 year challenge here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Squirrelloid/BL_Survival_Challenge#Megaproject:_Cathedral

This screenshot made me giggle.  It looks like a giant dwarf face, and the announcement text is perfect.

Edit:
Thinking about megaconstuctions and their size (yes, tiles have no size) I managed to make the leap of logic to this:

That's a Google Earth approximation of the Renraku Archology in Seattle, approximate size: 780m by 650m base, 969m tall.  Vissualy it's a giant black pyramid (obsidian?) in downtown Seattle, built sometime in the 2040s (alternate Earth timeline).  Said leap made me realize just how pitifully tiny our megaconstructions in Dwarf Fortress really are.  Even at an amazing 30 z-levels and a generous 10 meters per z-level, we reach an astounding height of 300m, which is a mere one third the height of that thing.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:39:09 am by Draco18s »

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #897 on: November 02, 2009, 01:16:49 pm »

If you've got a mountain nearby, you can get 100 z-levels of sky. A tower there could be as tall as that thing.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 02, 2009, 05:29:16 pm »

If you've got a mountain nearby, you can get 100 z-levels of sky. A tower there could be as tall as that thing.

Assuming 10 meters between z-levels yes.  Standard approximation is closer to 2-3 meters.

*Math*

If you flatten the area of a 16x16 embark area you could have a base the size of it--roughly (768 tiles at roughly 1 meter per tile).

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 02, 2009, 09:30:18 pm »

well...
thats a lot of space taken up. i think i'll wait until multithreading arrives before i attempt something like that.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 90