Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325482 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #750 on: September 28, 2009, 09:19:03 am »

I just got an idea that might not be to on-topic, but doesn't really deserve it's own topic either: could you make a feature that exports the entire map as a common format, probably .obj? That way, one could load it up with some other 3d program, and do stuff like better rendering, tiling different regions together, or simply fix it up/put in stuff that is not featured in the program itself yet by hand.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 28, 2009, 10:57:18 am »

Doesn't that map compressor thingy do the same thing already? I mean the one that is used to get the maps onto the DFMA.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 28, 2009, 11:22:57 am »

I just got an idea that might not be to on-topic, but doesn't really deserve it's own topic either: could you make a feature that exports the entire map as a common format, probably .obj? That way, one could load it up with some other 3d program, and do stuff like better rendering, tiling different regions together, or simply fix it up/put in stuff that is not featured in the program itself yet by hand.

That's already listed in the Future Development in the OP :P

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #753 on: September 28, 2009, 12:02:58 pm »

My first true megaproject stands completed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The pyramid stands 23 Z-levels tall and is made of clear glass blocks, its decoration made of silver (white), zinc (light grey), and lead (dark grey) blocks. The pyramid is also hollow, and it is filled to the top with magma.

Nearly 3800 clear glass blocks were used in the construction of the pyramid, and over 1300 steel blocks were used to construct the pump stack and pipeline. It took 10 years to build (mostly spent burning wood and making massive amounts of pearlash) and 2 years to fill. The pump stack now serves to provide twin magmafalls.

Of course, it would look far more menacing if the magma inside was actually visible...
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 12:12:11 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 28, 2009, 12:18:10 pm »

Illuminati Fortress?  :P
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #755 on: September 28, 2009, 12:24:59 pm »

A coincidence, I assure you - 23 Z-levels was the tallest I could possibly make the pyramid (at least in that spot). Only after it was done did I make that connection and add the decoration.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 28, 2009, 12:25:07 pm »

Doesn't that map compressor thingy do the same thing already? I mean the one that is used to get the maps onto the DFMA.

No.  The map compressor does not export in a 3D format, it outputs a series of 2D full map screenshots.

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 28, 2009, 12:47:26 pm »

By Armok!
My fortresses seem so small next to those made by you guys :(
I made 3 fortresses so far:
My 1st was was successful, the 2nd was overrun by orcs in the first winter and now my 3rd one (not counting the ones I lost interest shortly after embark)

My very fist fort:
My 2nd (sucessful) fort:

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 28, 2009, 02:07:50 pm »

Nice, the mini-pyramid thingy looks like one of those burial mounds, I forget what exactly they are called.

No.  The map compressor does not export in a 3D format, it outputs a series of 2D full map screenshots.

It uses the same method to build the maps as VF does, right? I mean by scanning it layer by layer. Although the map compressor takes the actual physical (as physical as data gets) image of the layer and uses that, but it works on the same concept, right?

I'm probably totally wrong here, heh.

Anyways, can anybody answer my question from a page or two back?

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 28, 2009, 02:33:06 pm »

Hell yeah I got it to work finally, I'm not going to bother to post a picture of my fortress, there isn't anything interesting in it... Yet...
Dwarven immaterialism: If a burning dwarf falls in a fortress, and everyone is On Break, is there smoke?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 28, 2009, 04:29:13 pm »

It uses the same method to build the maps as VF does, right? I mean by scanning it layer by layer. Although the map compressor takes the actual physical (as physical as data gets) image of the layer and uses that, but it works on the same concept, right?

The map compressor takes the individual images of the z-levels generated by the game and compresses them into a single, much smaller file.

VF accesses the game's memory directly to get the map information.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 28, 2009, 05:16:47 pm »

Holy crap, this is amazing. Just downloaded it and pulled up the fort I was playing at the time, and it's so freaking awesome.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Azrathud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 28, 2009, 06:18:43 pm »

Somebody else was having a similar problem. First thing to try is updating your video-card drivers. Alos if you have a card with a low amount of video ram it could be filling up. This looks more like a 3D acceleratot/driver problem than a VF bug, since the code it's running after 'Loading Textures' is not particularly complicated. Does this happen every time (even on different maps), or only on one map?

That fixed it. Apparently I haven't updated my video card for about six years. Thanks! Everything works.

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #763 on: September 29, 2009, 03:34:37 am »

Did anyone got this to work with WinXPSP3?
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 29, 2009, 04:41:39 am »

Did anyone got this to work with WinXPSP3?
Worked for me.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 90