Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325285 times)

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #615 on: September 15, 2009, 10:38:11 pm »

Ramps seem to prefer connecting to a floor above them, rather than an adjacent wall:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Er, those DO connect to an adjacent wall. :) I guarantee that if you chanelled out/deconstructed those walls and replaced them with floors from above (using scaffolding to get up there, I guess) you would never see anybody walk up those ramps again - they wouldn't connect.

h45hc0d3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 16, 2009, 04:16:49 am »

I discovered that because of evaporation the stream didn't flow fast enough to fill even the bottom layer.

Try adding some screw pumps to pressurize the whole thing? Or a series of intermediate cisterns to be filled underground before releasing enough water at once to fill a good portion of the bottom?

Maybe an aerial cistern shaped liked the Hindenburg...

On an off note, there, the Hindenburg crashed killing 36 people. One of them was on the ground. 61 people on board SURVIVED. I'm pretty sure hydrogen zeppelins have a higher passenger survival rate during accidents than airplanes do.

Most people, oddly, think the Hindenburg left no survivors.....

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 16, 2009, 12:24:04 pm »

Most people, oddly, think the Hindenburg left no survivors.....

Watching the film of it burning it's hard to imagine anyone getting out alive...
The Capt. saw static play across the hull just before it went up and knew what was about to happen... that little bit of forewarning is probably what saved so many people.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 16, 2009, 07:35:23 pm »

It also did not explode, nor was it the hydrogen that caused it. 

On topic, furniture in the visualizations looks amazing.  Now that a bit of the bugs that came with it are cleared up, I'll need to download the new version.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 16, 2009, 07:38:42 pm »

Ramps seem to prefer connecting to a floor above them, rather than an adjacent wall:

Er, those DO connect to an adjacent wall. :) I guarantee that if you chanelled out/deconstructed those walls and replaced them with floors from above (using scaffolding to get up there, I guess) you would never see anybody walk up those ramps again - they wouldn't connect.

I mean graphically, not physically. The ramps join up with the jutting out wall on each floor to provide a caravan-accessable spiral ramp down into my fort, but VF doesn't show it that way.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 16, 2009, 07:47:19 pm »

Found that while doing a test to see how awesome my Hanging Gardens would look full of water.  It's only got 3 of the 4 terraces (the ground under where the fourth will be had some serious flooding).
Spoiler: "Hanging Gardens" (click to show/hide)
And when I'm done, I think I'll use a tweak program to add trees, because that would be cool.

Chubacca

• Bay Watcher
  • Ukraine
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 17, 2009, 07:09:41 am »

I have a question.
How can I import my 3d model of table/statue/stool etc. to see it in Visual Fortress?
I see that it uses objects in format *.bin but I dont know how to convert *.obj to *.bin
any suggestions?

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 17, 2009, 07:25:34 am »

It will also load .ojb format, though it will ignore any .mtl files as there is a different system for materials.

I've fixed the water and ramps problems in my dev version.

Chubacca

• Bay Watcher
  • Ukraine
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 17, 2009, 08:05:36 am »

Thanks,already texsting...and it's working =)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 17, 2009, 08:52:52 am »

It will also load .ojb format, though it will ignore any .mtl files as there is a different system for materials.

Yea the water tends to act like, um, chunky jello when it's simulating a flow or waterfall. In VF I mean, not DF.

Baboonanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 17, 2009, 10:33:37 am »

Yea the water tends to act like, um, chunky jello when it's simulating a flow or waterfall. In VF I mean, not DF.
The chunky jello effect is unavoidable, as it's exactly how it is represented in DF. It's just less obvious in DF because the way in which it's represented hides the details. If you closely examine falling water you will actually find a stack of tiles some of which have 1-2 water and some of which are empty. Smoothing this out in and representing it in 3D would require a very clever and complex algorithm, though it should look better after I add mist in.

The problem I've fixed was the strange angle on water sides that you got when water flowed over a constructed floor.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #626 on: September 17, 2009, 03:10:06 pm »

You really know how to use ramps to get them to look exactly like you want them to.
I've made a few experiments that could be interpreted as I wanted, but happen to not be (such as two ramps next to each other, with no walls both showing up as spikes, not as a combined ridge).
Seeeeee this is exactly why I wished for more control over ramps :P
<3

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 17, 2009, 03:15:13 pm »

Walls next to crenellated fortifications don't have sides.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 17, 2009, 03:35:27 pm »

You really know how to use ramps to get them to look exactly like you want them to.
I've made a few experiments that could be interpreted as I wanted, but happen to not be (such as two ramps next to each other, with no walls both showing up as spikes, not as a combined ridge).
Seeeeee this is exactly why I wished for more control over ramps :P

I can see the desire for them, but it has to be optional.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 18, 2009, 06:05:27 pm »

Vattic requested I take some screenshots of Flarechannel with this new app, so I went ahead and pulled it off my dead laptop. It's been updated to game year 182 since last time I posted (so 50-60 more years), but I haven't done anything since July due to my laptop mysteriously dying, and low funds for a new one.
We've also reached 200,000 constructed blocks : D.
I think now that I've transferred the save onto my computer, I'll bear through the slowness and at least finish my current projects, so hopefully I'll have another update in a month or two.
Sorry in advance to slow connections for the load of images.

Overview of the fortress from above. You can see on the left hand side the beginnings of my Temple to Armok domed roof. Just starting to spread out, when construction is quite slow. On the right side you can see the two other mega-projects I'm working on: The Colosseum and the prison.

Another grand view of everything. You can see the height of the new constructions a bit better.

Yet another zoomed out view. You can make out a few of the other more minor additions I've been working on, with a few more inside the fortress and out of sight.

Closer view of the new prison on the left and Colosseum on the right. The prison is surrounded by a lake of lava and towers a deadly distance above the ground, just in case. Bridges can restrict access to or from the prison. The prison also has a walkway for prisoners to the Colosseum on the right, which has its own lava pits which can be closed/opened. The arena floors and walls on the Colosseum are also pure steel (thanks to many years of traders). Both new structures provide safe respite from seiges, as well as quick access to the local armory as well as turrets scattered at every angle to allow for "safe" bombardment of enemy troops. I just recently finished both of their bases - now the fun part of actually building up the structures can begin.

View of the Temple to Armok Mega Project. The temple in the center is pure obsidian and bauxite, with the surrounding domed enclosure solid marble. Ripping apart the mountain to build this thing took 20 years itself, and another 20 to finish turning said rocks into blocks for construction. This was wayyy tougher than I thought it would be, and the dome itself is already a huge pain.

Inside the throne room. Now you can see some of the tiling I set down, which if I remember right is pure metal. The green glass domed roof even comes out a little.

An updated view from inside the fortress fron entrance, since it shows how this program does a nice job of displaying stone colors. The green glass roof looks faded though, except when it's a green glass block and not a green glass floor that's on top (the green on the left is from glass blocks above, while the green on the right is from glass floors above).

Last picture, showing the inside of my bedroom plaza, since it's a little bigger and the orthoclase contrasts the magma below nicely (in my opinion, I know many people hate colored blocks).

I really like this program, especially how smoothly and quickly it runs. I had always imagined green glass as looking more shiny (like from Oblivion, for example), but I suppose that may be a prejudice of mine that is unrealistic. Thanks for the effort of making this!
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 90