Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 90

Author Topic: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app  (Read 325321 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app
« Reply #570 on: September 13, 2009, 08:44:35 pm »

Goodness gracious.
Find an anger management group.

Anyway, has anyone rendered that one bridge with this software?
You know, that awesome, massive bridge, with all the magma torches.
And the big flat sun-shaped tower at the end of it.
I don't remember what the fortress was called.
Yeah... I didn't know poking a dead animal would anger it so... There's some deep rooted issue there.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 13, 2009, 08:48:31 pm »

Yeah, well, stop poking it anyway.

So does anybody know that bridge I'm talking about?
Dozens of z-levels high, big spectacular arched columns...

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 13, 2009, 08:52:23 pm »

Yeah, well, stop poking it anyway.

Yeah, just don't remember the name of it.  It was imaged using the other visualizer a while ago... let me see if I can find it in that thread.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 13, 2009, 09:15:54 pm »

I have no clue.

ANYWAYS....

I really want to do a megaproject (my first one) with my current fort but I can't decide whether to do an obsidian sphinx, an aztec style green glass pyramid (clear glass is also an option, but wood is pretty scarce even with trade, not to mention the lengthy prep required), or something else.

Here is a view of the area.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I know there is some space to the south (my entrance faces west), but the area I walled off was easier to secure. The big wall is my shield wall to keep gobbos from sniping at my dwarves. I do have magma, but I'm not planning on using it since I have zero experience moving it up z-levels and besides it's three levels below the ground and my fort is pratically on top of it. However, there is a UG river which is up above my fort at 30 z-levels above the flat area (the water is actually at 29 z-levels above, 30 z-levels is the 'surface' of the UG river) and I did have some idea about using the walled in area like a huge tank and doing something water related. In fact, I've already tapped it for my elf drowning chamber and the ability to send water through the entranceway. I have 59 z-levels to work with, iron seems abundant, there is silver and gold available, flux, and I know at least one layer of the mountain has obsidian as a layer stone.

Also, it's not visible, but I have bridges walling off the north and west edges next to the walls and plenty of traps in the entrance. So I'm pretty damn secure here.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:17:56 pm by smjjames »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 13, 2009, 09:22:22 pm »

Whatever you do build, try and ensure that you've made it "structurally sound," that is, if caveins were enforced for any space that was wider than 6 tiles in the smallest direction, it would collapse (the old 2D rules: 6xN is stable, 7xN is not).

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 13, 2009, 09:25:21 pm »

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:29:11 pm by Andir »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 13, 2009, 09:39:33 pm »

Whatever you do build, try and ensure that you've made it "structurally sound," that is, if caveins were enforced for any space that was wider than 6 tiles in the smallest direction, it would collapse (the old 2D rules: 6xN is stable, 7xN is not).

I'm not going to limit myself to those rules, but yea I get what you mean by structurally sound.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 13, 2009, 10:08:37 pm »

Pot, meet Kettle...
At least I don't lie about the fact that I'm an incendiary individual.  You waited at least a full page between when Footkerchief said to end the matter and when you decided to start poking the wild animal with sticks.

I'd be happy to drop it as long as you will agree to shut your worthless piehole.
Would You Kindly not call people worthless?
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 13, 2009, 10:21:48 pm »

Pot, meet Kettle...
At least I don't lie about the fact that I'm an incendiary individual.  You waited at least a full page between when Footkerchief said to end the matter and when you decided to start poking the wild animal with sticks.

I'd be happy to drop it as long as you will agree to shut your worthless piehole.
Would You Kindly not call people worthless?

What does Bioshock have to do with anything?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 13, 2009, 10:22:21 pm »

I'm not going to limit myself to those rules, but yea I get what you mean by structurally sound.

Suit yourself.  I'm doing it on my current project, just because it'll make it that much more impressive when it's done.  My last megaproject was a stepped pyramid that was hollow inside except for the pump tower.  This project is at least four times the size (100x100x18 compared to 50x50x8, give or take).
Spoiler: "some images" (click to show/hide)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: September 14, 2009, 12:05:22 am »

Mountain Banners, for those interested:

Spoiler: MB (click to show/hide)

Was going to upload a straight on look (looking down the arches) but close it out on accident and didnt feel like reloading the save/dumping/etc.  Would be nice if you could dump straight from a save file instead of having to dump from DF.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 14, 2009, 12:09:52 am »

To update my previous post, it's seeming like my parent civ has a wood scarcity problem as they bring little wood even when I ask for it. The humans are helpful, but still.....

So, making a pyramid entirely out of clear glass is out. Even if I made a good sized TC farm, it would take at least 50-100 years to do it. Making the cap or certain features from clear glass is still feaseable though.

I'm thinking perhaps a pyramid of some sort, out of obsidian blocks, or I'll go with a sphinx.... with an altar below it's mouth. Or an obsidian colossus?.......

Edit: I just had a thought, since the river is about halfway up, it's in a good spot where I can send water through the back of the colossus and use plumbing to er...spout water from down below. Although it would be cooler for him to spew water from the mouth, and less inappropriate.....lol.

Edit2: What color does adamantine show up as when it's on a weapon? dark blue/medium blue? Having the colossus wield an adamantine weapon would be cool. It wouldn't be REAL adamantine of course, as I don't have access to it on site.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:17:45 am by smjjames »

Drug_unit

• Bay Watcher
  • he needs the golden gauntlets to pimp slap whit
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 14, 2009, 06:06:49 am »

Its either me or The newest version of DF 40D16(beta) wont work but i had thes kinds of issues before and restarting DF helped
Dwarven statistics: When something is considered unlikely, the presence of dwarves increases the likelyhood of the unusual event occuring.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Besides, it's somehow enjoyable to think of groundhogs stacked to the very top of a cage and flooding out to kill.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 14, 2009, 06:17:14 am »

Mountain Banners, for those interested:

Spoiler: MB (click to show/hide)

Was going to upload a straight on look (looking down the arches) but close it out on accident and didnt feel like reloading the save/dumping/etc.  Would be nice if you could dump straight from a save file instead of having to dump from DF.

Finally, in all its colourful glory.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 14, 2009, 07:06:20 am »

Oh, I found it!
I was actually talking about Metalgate!
This thing is awesome. I want to see it in the Visualizer.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 90